Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I always showed my love for Allie Lazar, here’s this year‘s updated restaurant list. I’ve been to several spots mentioned, how about you?https://www.eater.com/maps/best-buen...ants-argentina
HIDDY and happychic like this.

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jan 17, 2022 at 3:47 pm
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Footnotes from Allie

I wrote about 38 essential places to eat in Buenos Aires for @eater. Note: this isn't a list of the best restaurants. "Best" is subjective and arbitrary, no one person can determine what is best. This isn't a ranking either, it's in geographical order.

This list took me months to compile and was a big challenge. I started with over 300 well-deserved places that I had to reduce to 38. I took lots of different aspects into consideration to try and best represent BA's food scene in 2022.

This list is mostly written for @eater readers & travelers, many who have never visited BA before. To fairly represent BA's culinary offerings, I thought a lot about: What are the must-try dishes? Must-try restaurants? New & trendy places? Traveler-friendly traditional classics?

Whenever writing these lists, I try to let go of my personal favorites and instead keep into consideration the eclectic taste of readers: some people like celebrity chefs & tasting menus, others want street food, others are looking for trendy/touristy spots, etc.

I personally try every place, read thousands of reviews, speak to diners+travelers+cooks, toss & turn to come up w/ the final 38. Your list of essential BA restos prob looks different than mine. I invite you to write your own, & stop saying my list sucks bc I forgot X restaurant.
TWA884, CLEguy, Zorak and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:27 am

Decanter Article: Best Buenos Aires Wine Bars and Restaurants for Wine Lovers

Which spots have you been to?

https://www.decanter.com/wine-travel...urants-287359/
detony likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
A well-written article from Sorrel one of the best food and beverage journalists in the country.

I have not been to any of these places ( there are some disadvantages of living 60 km from the capital.), so we now have ten weekends of work ahead of us.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
one of the great things about Sorrel , she does a lot of work off the beaten track and finds great places in Chacarita and Colegiales
Old Mar 7, 2022, 10:18 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Just went back to SottoVoce on Libertador and had an amazing lunch............... prices are high for EZE standards, but if you do your math in USD or any similar hard currency, it will be the deal of a lifetime......
Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Just went back to SottoVoce on Libertador and had an amazing lunch............... prices are high for EZE standards, but if you do your math in USD or any similar hard currency, it will be the deal of a lifetime......
Never been a fan. Why all the love? Since this is on your regular rotation for the EZE DO.. ever consider changing venues, kind of boring going to the same places in my opinion

Last edited by Flying Machine; Mar 8, 2022 at 9:05 am
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:19 pm

A new list from Allie Lazar

A new list from Allie Lazar

https://pickupthefork.com/2022/03/15...s-restaurants/
Old Mar 15, 2022, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Never been a fan. Why all the love? Since this is on your regular rotation for the EZE DO.. ever consider changing venues, kind of boring going to the same places in my opinion
Of course it is your opinion

Some people love returning to the same place once a year, or once every few years.
It is difficult to find "crowd pleaser" places when you have a crowd with "I don't like this, I don't eat this" so you find a place that is of quality that will meet most of the LCD.

And that is my opinion.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:45 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Buenos Aires is one of the 13 cities featured in Eater's "Where to Eat in 2022". I cannot wait to return to Buenos Aires again this fall! (spring in Argentina)

https://www.eater.com/22788424/best-...ts-travel-2022
Old Mar 15, 2022, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by happychic
Buenos Aires is one of the 13 cities featured in Eater's "Where to Eat in 2022". I cannot wait to return to Buenos Aires again this fall! (spring in Argentina)

https://www.eater.com/22788424/best-...ts-travel-2022
Thanks for posting.. Already posted in post 961

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33909753-post961.html
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:50 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Apologies
Old May 20, 2022, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It does now appear that if you're looking for a drunken sailor, you'll need to look for a new place (or buy this one).

Old May 27, 2022, 3:03 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Another poster answered better than I could ever do myself.... but I would love to hear what your beef is with SottoVoce. Lets assume my taste is off... but Ive been recommending this place for 20 years and NEVER had anything but rave reviews. You are a true rare Gem...... would be very (very) interested in understanding in more detail what you dislike about this establishment. Given the seasoned traveller and food/wine buff that you are, you surely agree that a simple "never been a fan" is kinda lame.... dont you think its fair to ask you for a portion of opinion with a little more meat on the bone and perhaps a side order of specifics....?

I am always ready to learn things from those with more experience and other perspectives.

Thank you !!
Old May 27, 2022, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Another poster answered better than I could ever do myself.... but I would love to hear what your beef is with SottoVoce. Lets assume my taste is off... but Ive been recommending this place for 20 years and NEVER had anything but rave reviews. You are a true rare Gem...... would be very (very) interested in understanding in more detail what you dislike about this establishment. Given the seasoned traveller and food/wine buff that you are, you surely agree that a simple "never been a fan" is kinda lame.... dont you think its fair to ask you for a portion of opinion with a little more meat on the bone and perhaps a side order of specifics....?

I am always ready to learn things from those with more experience and other perspectives.

Thank you !!
I guess if I was a host and I wanted to show people around my city, I would try to take them to places that are unique and provide them with an opportunity to try something local, and a place that they may not typically find somewhere else.

The reason I said Sotto Voce is boring, from what I have noticed , it’s been the opening lunch for the EZE DO for some time now. It’s a restaurant that you could find in any major city that you visit if your seeking uninspiring, overpriced Italian Food in a formal setting with lots of tourists., I don’t think it’s anything special, just my personal opinion by eating there twice before.

Furthermore, If I was hosting a group I would take a group here, albeit it’s not open for lunch except on Sunday's:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mari...&client=safari

The dining experience and landscape is changing dramatically in Buenos Aires. Young chefs working with a cornucopia of fresh ingredients and styles are making their mark. Like I said if it was me, I would be exploring some of the new places along with the old and traditional. The old and traditional is what makes Buenos Aires so special, I guess it’s just the younger generation that’s really piquing my interest recently.

With that said, my personal choice is to explore and I like to share that in our threads about Buenos Aires. What I liked about growing up in NYC was that you never have to go to the same place twice unless you really wanted to.. Buenos Aires is extremely similar

Don’t get me wrong I am a great supporter of the Bogedons, Parillas del Barrios etc they hold a special place in my culinary heart.

I had been to many new and exciting places two years ago during my last visit and I’m looking forward to spending the month of October in Buenos Aires,

I’ll report back then with some first-hand information. However, for now I’m following and speaking with many friends whom are well known in the wine industry, the dining industry and whom live in Buenos Aires, they are the true Portenos in my book! I watch and see what they are eating and drinking of late! Very exciting..

Welcome back Alex, haven’t heard from you in such a long time. I hope you are doing well.

Last edited by Flying Machine; May 27, 2022 at 5:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.