Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Old Mar 15, 2016, 5:45 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Please note that a Tasting Menu program at Pura Tierra will be no where near AR$2000 per person, even if you add the Wine pairing surcharge.
So, cheaper than 2000ARS with wine?
Like, how much cheaper?
Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Any recent experiences at Patagonia Sur?

I've got 4 nights in BA next week and was thinking of giving them a try, along with a few nights focused on steak. Would La Cabrera + Don Julio + Park Hyatt + Patagonia Sur be a respectable mix? Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted
Best Grilled Tira De Asada

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 3, 2018 at 2:09 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cyborg
Looking for a place to enjoy thick short ribs (not flanken style). Any suggestions?

Cheers,

-Cyborg
I can't help you I'm afraid but I look forward to the responses.

In my experience it's the most overrated/overpriced cut there is. I've enjoyed about 1 in every 10 of the times I've had it whether that be cooked by myself, a friend or in a restaurant. Despite that, Argentines especially men drool over it for some reason.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by cyborg
Looking for a place to enjoy thick short ribs (not flanken style). Any suggestions?

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Parilla Pena.. Get it there all the time, does not dissapoint..
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jason8612
So, cheaper than 2000ARS with wine?
Like, how much cheaper?
I second that question

I am looking for a nice place for a bday dinner. Struggling to decide whether a good steak place or to go with tasting menu, in which case based on reviews here, pura vida seems to be a good option.

Thanks!

J
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Tira de Asado

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Parilla Pena.. Get it there all the time, does not dissapoint..
I stand corrected. The Tira de Asado I have eaten all over Argentina is Flanken Style but they are thick say 3/4 of and inch.. I really like this cut and its the highlight of any asado for me.. In Uruguay is your going, this cut is just called asado by the way.. The cut that I think your seeking is English style and I really haven't seen that anywhere (Isn't that cut usually used in braised recipes?) Happy Eating..
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: UA, WN, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Recommendation for Argentine Whiskey

I am currently in BsAs and have been looking, in my spare time, for an Argentine whiskey to take back to the US for a whisky tasting event. I have asked in several upscale wine/ liquor shops and have been told to avoid Argentine whiskey as it is about equal to British wine. There is a distiller in Patagonia (which I won't name) that released a single malt "Scotch" in 2014. One shop recognized the name but didn't carry it; an email to the distiller for information was returned as undeliverable.

Can anyone recommend an Argentine whisky, and, if so, where I can find it in BsAs?
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by KayakingNow
Can anyone recommend an Argentine whisky, and, if so, where I can find it in BsAs?
PM Alex the AR forum moderator - he's in the business.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:06 pm

I am currently in BsAs and have been looking, in my spare time, for an Argentine whiskey to take back to the US for a whisky tasting event. I have asked in several upscale wine/ liquor shops and have been told to avoid Argentine whiskey as it is about equal to British wine. There is a distiller in Patagonia (which I won't name) that released a single malt "Scotch" in 2014. One shop recognized the name but didn't carry it; an email to the distiller for information was returned as undeliverable.

Here is a fun spot, be sure to click on the more tab at the bottom of the article for more information to see the address:

http://www.argentinaindependent.com/...entina/#high_1

Here it is:

Caf de los Incas
Av. De los Incas 3909, Villa Ortzar, Buenos Aires
Web: http://www.clubdelwhisky.com/barras/cafedelosincas.php
Tel: (+54) 11 4553 1727
Email: [email protected]
Read review
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA, WN, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Thanks for your replies. I sent a PM just now, as suggested.

I saw the whiskey, mentioned in the linked article, in a store in Recoleta this past Monday. While I was asking the clerk about it an Argentine gentleman who overheard the conversation suggested I try something else imported instead, and made some other comments about Argentine whiskey that I'll not repeat. After reading the linked article this afternoon I sampled it at my hotel's bar this evening. I'll keep looking, and leave it at that.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:59 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks for your replies. I sent a PM just now, as suggested.

I saw the whiskey, mentioned in the linked article, in a store in Recoleta this past Monday. While I was asking the clerk about it an Argentine gentleman who overheard the conversation suggested I try something else imported instead, and made some other comments about Argentine whiskey that I'll not repeat. After reading the linked article this afternoon I sampled it at my hotel's bar this evening. I'll keep looking, and leave it at that.
Replied to your PM. 99% of Spirits made locally are very very rough and should only be consumed in mixed drinks that will properly mask them. This stuff from Patagonia you are looking for sounds/reads promising, I had not heard about them and Im ITB. All the Spirits I sell are imported.... if this local stuff is as good as it sounds, maybe I need to look into it in more detail.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am currently in BsAs and have been looking, in my spare time, for an Argentine whiskey to take back to the US for a whisky tasting event. I have asked in several upscale wine/ liquor shops and have been told to avoid Argentine whiskey as it is about equal to British wine.
The shop owner obviously knows bugger all about British wine. The English estates have won awards from the European wine industry especially for their fizz.....BA serve it in their F lounge.

The best Argentine whisky isn't far off the cheapest blended whisky you can get in Scotland. As Gaucho100K said best used with mixers if you don't like a bit of rough.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I will have to agree with Hiddy in his partial defense of English Wine. Please note Im not saying British.... you guys should know the difference !!!!

English still juice is still mostly plonk, but it is indeed true that some of the Bubbly stuff can be very good. My favorite comes from this joint....

http://nyetimber.com/
Old Apr 17, 2016, 1:17 am

Programs: BA silver
Our receptionist recommended Brandon in Fitz Roy. He told us to try the ribs. Busy with locals. We weren't disappointed.
Our hotel restaurant was fantastic. UCO. I had the 18 hour lamb. Also tried their risotto another night. We had breakfast there every day and usually didn't bother with lunch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.