Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:05 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jason8612
What restaurants could be recommended for a person traveling alone? I do like the tasting menu options and like to try local flavors. But I don't want to spend a crazy amount on food.

How is:
el baqueano?
Aramburu? Seems to offer a 12 course tasting for some AR$340 which review wise is supposed to be comparable to a Michellin star restaurant. Are there any Michellin star restaurants in BA?

And what is the dress code at places like these? Are dark jeans OK with a business shirt?
For high end Cow.... Le Grill in Puerto Madero has been getting very good reviews.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:35 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I went to Aramburu. The food was amazing. Well worth it.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:56 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Any suggestions for decent lamb restaurants?

Cheers
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by boar
Any suggestions for decent lamb restaurants?

Cheers
Many places have lamb on the Menu.... most high-end dead cow (parrillas) will have various lamb options.... and some non parrilla places will also feature Cordero Patagonico.

You looking for something specific (cut)....?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Many places have lamb on the Menu.... most high-end dead cow (parrillas) will have various lamb options.... and some non parrilla places will also feature Cordero Patagonico.

This time of year, the spring lamb probably all comes from Congelado Farms. That isn't to say it can't be good, but if it hasn't been stored properly, it may not be.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K

Cheers. I was after Cordero Patagonico. Was just wondering whether any restaurants had a reputation for it.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Cordero Patagonico (prepared in different ways) will be on the Menu at various locations. I would suggest the following locations:

- Pura Tierra
- Le Grill
- La Cabania
- Chila
- Las Nazarenas
- La Brigada
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After being pestered for some time by someone who has been wanting to eat at Aramburu, I finally gave in and went on this trip. http://www.arambururesto.com.ar/

It is one of the finer Buenos Aires tasting menu restaurants. On the "world stage," it wasn't that expensive, but for here, it was not inexpensive.

My verdict, 24 hours later, is that I enjoyed my meal, it was fun, but nothing much was memorable. Presentation was excellent. Dishes were creative in appearance, but tastes overall were ok to good, but other than the crispy piggy skin, there weren't a lot of "this is really yummy" bites. The vegetable purees, while I'm sure came from the finest of vegetables, made me think that Gerbers is missing a jar or two somewhere. I didn't mind anything about dinner, and had a good time. I actually ordered a bottle of French wine, as the "price was right" and it seemed like it would go well with the expected meal, and it did (as no menu is presented, but she described that only the last 2 courses would be meat.) So, the white lasted through most of the meal, and we each ordered a glass of red to tide us through the end. A wine paring was available for AR$250 each, which seemed steep, but may or may not have been.

Service was acceptable, polite, but not polished.

To put it best, it was as if this well-executed and pretty food lacked alma.

I have now been to 3 higher-end tasting menus in this city, in the eternal search for something more interesting than the standard porteńo fare.

My verdicts are as follows:
(1) El Baqueano. I've been 3 times. Or is it 4 times? In any event, this is my favorite. From service, to food, to the soul in the food (even if I don't love every course), it is a pleasure to eat there. And drink there. Note - this restaurant is not for everyone.
(2) Pura Tierra. I've been 2 or 3 times. Only once did I have the tasting menu. I like the space. It is a decent place. I don't love the place. I wouldn't hesitate to return if someone wanted to go.
(3) Aramburu. I wouldn't avoid the place, but I'd be hard pressed to return (unless someone insisted, and took me as a guest) given the price, and given that I would pass right by El Baqueano on the way.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
it is a pleasure to eat there. And drink there. Note - this restaurant is not for everyone.
Why do you say that Eastbay1K? Forewarned is forearmed.

Good reviews. ^
Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
After being pestered for some time by someone who has been wanting to eat at Aramburu, I finally gave in and went on this trip. http://www.arambururesto.com.ar/ ...
Nothing ventured, nothing gained! And I did persuade you to return to El Baqueano earlier in the year (and it's so close to you, but not so much for me).

Aramburu's location is not the best, and the interior space is OK but not nearly what you'd expect for this type of restaurant or the price. Presentation of the food was excellent and innovative, but a little too "precious" in my opinion. While you won't go hungry, I think a lesser number of courses where you could have had more than a bite or two would have been more satisfying. But it was a very interesting experience, and I'd also happily return if someone else was paying for it

The wine was a Melon de Bourgogne, which was excellent. I suspect that the matched wine pairings would probably be good, given the quality of the wines by the glass.

Service was good but unpolished, and given that they obviously have a significant number of English-speaking tourists, they should have been better at describing the courses (they would mix up English and castellano).

El Baqueano wins hands down in comparison (and especially in value). If El Baqueano served quail, I'd expect it to have the same alma as Tita's Codorniz en salsa de Pétalos de Rosa, or maybe Babette's Cailles en Sarcophage
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Why do you say that Eastbay1K? Forewarned is forearmed.

Good reviews. ^
The restaurant specializes in cocina autóctona ... so if you're not game ...
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
The restaurant specializes in cocina autóctona ... so if you're not game ...
Ah.....cannibal food. Do portenos taste good?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Ah.....cannibal food. Do portenos taste good?
Methinks more like roadkill. Which is quite apropos given the driving habits of the locals
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! And I did persuade you to return to El Baqueano earlier in the year (and it's so close to you, but not so much for me).

Aramburu's location is not the best, and the interior space is OK but not nearly what you'd expect for this type of restaurant or the price.
Yes, a couple other notes on that point. Some areas could have used a serious paint job and wall repair, and the men's room toilet did not flush. Fortunately, there was just a lot of "#1" in there when I walked in so I didn't need to toss my "precious" cookies.

The wine list was interesting but had quite a few of the known local labels. Contrast this with El Baqueano, which, unless one has a degree in ArgEnology, one would have likely never encountered any of the wines on the list.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 6:11 pm

Methinks more like roadkill. Which is quite apropos given the driving habits of the locals
^

Yes, a couple other notes on that point. Some areas could have used a serious paint job and wall repair, and the men's room toilet did not flush. Fortunately, there was just a lot of "#1" in there when I walked in so I didn't need to toss my "precious" cookies.
Good observation. Most restaurant/cafe toilets in BA I've been in leave a lot to be desired. (no pun intended).

Alto Palermo shopping centre toilets are to be applauded however. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.