Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:58 am

Useful food guide

I travel to BA a lot and found the blog "Pick up the Fork" to be very useful. The writer is an American living in BA. I have found some great places and so far, no clunkers.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Very Nice Blog

Originally Posted by AlaninPS
I travel to BA a lot and found the blog "Pick up the Fork" to be very useful. The writer is an American living in BA. I have found some great places and so far, no clunkers.
Thanks for the tip AlaninPS! Here is the link to save a few keystrokes:

http://pickupthefork.com/
Old Feb 2, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Layne Mosler

Years back when I first started to travel to BsAs, I was drawn to Layne Mosler and her writing about great dining spots in BsAs. She would simply get into a Taxi, ask the Taxista what is his favorite dining spot. She would then ask the Taxista to take her there and dine.. Layne would subsequently write up the spot. She has since moved on, wrote a book (it was a Blog that I followed at the time) Therefore, I thought I would share the following link.. After all, its Layne whom guided me to my favorite Parilla "Parilla Pena".. She has some recent updates but most of the entries are a few years old, but most are still around and serving up some nice food..

Read and eat on:

http://taxigourmet.com/category/citi...os-aires-food/
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I only wish the standard of cuisine found in the capital was mirrored where I live in the province.

I'm no foodie but even I think it's very poor for what you're expected to pay.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:12 pm

A week or so ago The Guardian published the following article "Top 10 Wine Bars and Tasting Rooms in Buenos Aires":

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...ires-argentina

How many have you been to?

Thanks and Happy Drinking..
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:48 pm

Gefilte Fish and Gumbo in Buneos Aires? Well yes there is! Read the article published in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/21/tr...temail0=y&_r=0
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:37 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Any tasting menus to recommend?

Looking on a ranking list, it seems there's a few good ones in BA
Tegui
El Baqueano
Chila
Aramburu
Elena
Oviedo
Resto
Don Julio
Tarquino

Anyone that can be recommended?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 7:26 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Don't forget to put the Tasting Menu at Pura Tierra on your list. Far better value than Chila, Tegui and Oviedo.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Don't forget to put the Tasting Menu at Pura Tierra on your list. Far better value than Chila, Tegui and Oviedo.
If you had a choice of 2 restaurants from my list (and also Pura Tierra) for a tasting menu, which 2 would you choose? Value is important (but it seems that most of these tasting with wine will be around 2000ARS with wine pairing.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jason8612
If you had a choice of 2 restaurants from my list (and also Pura Tierra) for a tasting menu, which 2 would you choose? Value is important (but it seems that most of these tasting with wine will be around 2000ARS with wine pairing.
El Baqueano - my favo(u)rite place in the city. They also have one of the most eclectic and interesting wine lists anywhere.

I was totally unimpressed with my one visit to Aramburu. Pretty preparations without much soul, and amateurish service (but very nice). However, I really liked Aramburu Bis (his much more causal and less expensive alternative, but it not a "tasting menu" place).

I like, but do not love, Pura Tierra. I (and some others here) would likely suggest that your food experience here will be better from the a la carte menu over the tasting menu.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Puchero

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 3, 2018 at 1:10 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Mar 14, 2016, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Puchero Season starts on May 1st and goes on until mid September..... ^
Old Mar 15, 2016, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
El Baqueano - my favo(u)rite place in the city. They also have one of the most eclectic and interesting wine lists anywhere.

I was totally unimpressed with my one visit to Aramburu. Pretty preparations without much soul, and amateurish service (but very nice). However, I really liked Aramburu Bis (his much more causal and less expensive alternative, but it not a "tasting menu" place).

I like, but do not love, Pura Tierra. I (and some others here) would likely suggest that your food experience here will be better from the a la carte menu over the tasting menu.
Thanks
I did El baqueano last time and it was excellent. I'll look at Pura tierra and if there's nothing available then El baqueano.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jason8612
Please note that a Tasting Menu program at Pura Tierra will be no where near AR$2000 per person, even if you add the Wine pairing surcharge.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Gefilte Fish and Gumbo in Buneos Aires? Well yes there is! Read the article published in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/21/tr...temail0=y&_r=0
I didn't care much for the Gumbo at this place, but overall I still give it high marks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.