Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Its been a very long time since I went to El Pobre Luis.... but had a great meal there yesterday and wanted to post a quick report.

This parrilla was once on my A list, but then I had to delist it because they moved from their original location and went through some transition issues.... the good news is that the old Pobre Luis is back. They have fixed their service issues, and the quality of the beef is top notch again. Their wine list has been shortened, and is now a little too commercial for my taste, but they do have various good choices. Prices have gone up, but for visitors it will still be a good deal, especially if you compare to big city steakhouse prices. I had a rib-eye that was perfect.... provencal papas on the side....

Happy to say this place can go back on my A list... ^
Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I had a rib-eye that was perfect....
What do they call that here....bife ancho?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by HIDDY
What do they call that here....bife ancho?

Ojo de bife.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by VPescado
Ojo de bife.
^.......never heard of it.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
^.......never heard of it.
You are missing out....... get your hands on some of this and give it a go on the grill... then come back and report... ^
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Back to BA for Easter

Hi Gaucho100k and everybody else

We had such a good time last year that we're coming back to Buenos Aires for 4 days over Easter as a finale to a 3 week trip to Easter Island, Mendoza and Cordoba.

In terms of dining, are restaurants generally open over that holiday weekend and how far in advance should I be making reservations? I did search through the forum although there are only a few posts about Easter and restaurant opening times aren't covered.

We are staying in Palermo so are planning to eat in that general vicinity this visit so any current recommendations would be most welcome.

Many thanks
Cheryl
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:13 am

You are missing out....... get your hands on some of this and give it a go on the grill... then come back and report... ^
Well I had it and it was very nice. ^

Seems that ojo de bife and bife ancho can both be sold as rib eye.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Seems that ojo de bife and bife ancho can both be sold as rib eye.
Yes... but beware, if your butcher is selling you Ojo de Bife but giving you Bife Ancho you are being taken to the cleaners. There are two relevant reasons for this.......

a) the bife ancho always has the bone as part of the package, also, because of how these steaks are cut, you will always have parts of the outer rims include some cartilage

b) Ojo de Bife, if actually the "heart" of the Bife Ancho, because its not supposed to have the bone attatched and certainly none of the outer rims that are part of the Bife Ancho

Any proper carnivore and beef aficionado understands what bones, outer rims and non-edible tissue does to your effective per pound costs... so please, make sure they are not selling you Bife Ancho at Ojo de Bife prices.....
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:52 pm

Good advice. ^

Bought it out of Disco without bone....very tasty and tender.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Disco should be fine w labels...
Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: Various
Any advice on places to try some Argentinian savory street food? Empanadas, Choripan, croquettas, etc.?

What about sweets....gelato, dulce de leche etc?

I'll be in Buenos Aires (Puerto Madero area) for almost 1 week, and will try some of the different parillas.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

what are croquettas...????
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: Various
what are croquettas...????
A misspelled version of croquetas? What about empanadas? Also, any suggestion on a cooking class on Argentinian food....parilla cooking etc but for food professionals?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: AA since 1998, 1.96 M miles
Originally Posted by Robt760
A misspelled version of croquetas? What about empanadas? Also, any suggestion on a cooking class on Argentinian food....parilla cooking etc but for food professionals?
I've lived down here for 4.5 years, and visited 8-10 times before living here and don't remember ever seeing croquetas on any menu. I thought they were only a big deal in Belgium and France. According to wikipedia sometimes people refer to the crispy fried meatballs some folks make at as croquetas but I don't think that's what you're referring to.

As for the rest of your list, I don't do street food so can offer no advice. La Querencia (http://maps.google.com/maps/place?ci...5&z=18&vpsrc=6) has awesome empenadas and some other great dishes from northern Argentina like locro, bife al caballo, and sometimes even sopa paraguaya. There are tons of good places to get gelato, just try any of the ice cream shops you're bound to pass by as you wander the city. I have no ideas about cooking schools, but if you spend a few days up here in the north my brother-in-law and I can teach you all about cooking on an argentinian parilla and preparing meat a la estaca too. As a bonus, you'd get my wife's awesome homemade empenadas and her Uncle Carlos' recipe for chimichurri
Old May 1, 2012, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Robt760
Also, any suggestion on a cooking class on Argentinian food....parilla cooking etc but for food professionals?
It's all pretty easy.....after a while.

Timing and temperature control seem to be the key elements to successful cooking on the parrilla.
Click on my signature to see a short video I made yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.