Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:42 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Molinari
Thanks for your quick feedback

And thank you for all the tips you are giving on this forum. It has really helped us in the planning of this trip.
Our pleasure.... please do come back and report your experiences when you get a chance.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:14 am

Cabana Las Lilas

Based on FTalk posts, we avoided Las Lilas when we were in BsAs three years ago. This time we decided to try it and were very pleased with the food.

We went to Las Lilas a few hours after arriving in BsAs. We wanted a place close to the Hilton and Las Lilas was the most packed restaurant that we saw on our walk.

We did not order any appetizers and were happy that we didn't. The cover charge included a plate of appetizers (various vegetables, plus cooked salmon). It also included a variety of bread (all delicious), including pan con queso, which I love. I learned later that the owner is Brazilian - which explains the pan con queso. The waiter replenishes the bread regularly and I must have eaten six pan con queso.

My husband ordered the special lomo and I ordered the roast suckling pig. We should have ordered only one dish to share. The portions were big - two pieces of lomo and two pieces of pork. We also ordered the best papas souflees to share - again a huge portion.

The wait staff was professional and friendly. We were tired from our flight and wanted to stay alert for the rest of the day so we didn't order wine. The maitre d' had a bit of attitude when we said no to wine. Aside from this unpleasantness, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal.

We paid 450 pesos (a big over $100) for the meal. It was the most expensive meal that we've had in BsAs, but it was worth it. When we return to BsAs in a week, I'll report on our meal at the Palacio Duhau, which may well break the bank.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:21 am

El Desnivel

I love the working class atmosphere at this restaurant where the tables are set close together and customers seem to rub elbows with those at the next table. If you prefer something chic, you may not appreciate the charm of this place.

Three years ago, I order the molleja (sweetbread) and returned for more this time. Delicious as usual. My husband ordered the lomo, which was huge. We also sampled an empanada and a chorizo - both good. The meal, along with a cheap bottle of wine, came to 200 pesos (less than $50).

Three years ago, we traveled with our vegetarian son. He had ordered a thick slice of grilled provolone cheese. We didn't have enough room for the cheese this time, but will definitely order it next week when we are back again n BsAs.
Old May 26, 2011, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Great reports Bamboola, thanks for sharing !!! ^
Old May 26, 2011, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bamboola
I love the working class atmosphere at this restaurant where the tables are set close together and customers seem to rub elbows with those at the next table. If you prefer something chic, you may not appreciate the charm of this place.

Three years ago, I order the molleja (sweetbread) and returned for more this time. Delicious as usual. My husband ordered the lomo, which was huge. We also sampled an empanada and a chorizo - both good. The meal, along with a cheap bottle of wine, came to 200 pesos (less than $50).

Three years ago, we traveled with our vegetarian son. He had ordered a thick slice of grilled provolone cheese. We didn't have enough room for the cheese this time, but will definitely order it next week when we are back again n BsAs.
I go there usually once or twice on each visit. It is close to "home" and it is relatively cheap. It is also a place where I feel comfortable to go get a bite to eat alone. Quality/taste varies from ok to very good. My vegetarian friend (who I usually eat there once with on each trip) orders provoleta and fries, and is usually happy. (I have no doubt that the cheese is grilled on the "special vegetarian grill" )

Most often, they don't have the wine you choose from the menu. So, you drink something else. And, you finish it. I even take a friend who lives in the "alta sociedad" of Las Caņitas, and despite lowering himself to come over to my 'hood, seems to make "all gone" and enjoy his food.
Old May 28, 2011, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I even take a friend who lives in the "alta sociedad" of Las Caņitas, and despite lowering himself to come over to my 'hood, seems to make "all gone" and enjoy his food.
Dont you just hate these Caņitas snobs....???

Old May 30, 2011, 5:13 pm

I love BsAs! Lived there and will live there again.

I did not read this entire thread, but check out Don Julio in Palermo Soho.

Also, if you want some gringo food, check out Sugar Bar in Palermo Soho on Costa Rica. Tell Marty I say hey!
Old May 30, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Dont you just hate these Caņitas snobs....???

Second only to those Martínezino morons!
Old May 31, 2011, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
Second only to those Martínezino morons!
Careful. Be very careful...

You dont want to unleash the wrath of a Moderator...

Old Jun 19, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
We just returned from La Cholita.

We are not experts in BA parrillas, but we enjoyed it a lot......service was very friendly and professional. Highlight was the dulce de leche pancake for dessert.

When we left at 11PM, there were approx. 10-15 people waiting outside
Old Jun 19, 2011, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had my first and last late night "pancho" experience. As I only had one meal today at about 4pm, I thought I better get a snack on the way home. So, I saw a place open on 9 de Julio, near Paraguay. 100% gross. At least it was only AR$5. I hope it doesn't wake me up during the night.

Consider yourselves warned.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
We ate at Estrebe tonight (Pena 2475). This is a first-rate parrilla.

We went early (9PM), so it was not very crowded. As the evening went on, it began to fill up a bit, mostly with locals.

The rib eye was excellent, as was the creamed spinach and frites.

Bill for the three of us was 391 pesos, including a bottle of wine.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last night, two of us went to Martiņo on Bolivar in San Telmo. They had a nice selection of tapas and other small plates, along with some nice main courses, along with a decent selection of wines by the glass, and by the bottle. (This seems to be their theme).

I ordered the lamb (in a sauce). It was very tasty, albeit overcooked. The vegetables (stacked in an artisan way, grilled, with a medallion of cheese on top) were delicious. My vegetarian friend's gnocchi were very tasty, and seriously one of the tastier Italian-esque dishes I've had in Argentina. Another pasta dish served at the next table (with salmon) looked quite tasty, too. Dinner came to about $225, with a respectable but not fancy malbec, a salad, and a dessert we shared, and a bottle of water.

I'd happily return.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

^
Originally Posted by yojimbo
We ate at Estrebe tonight (Pena 2475). This is a first-rate parrilla.

We went early (9PM), so it was not very crowded. As the evening went on, it began to fill up a bit, mostly with locals.

The rib eye was excellent, as was the creamed spinach and frites.

Bill for the three of us was 391 pesos, including a bottle of wine.
Thanks for this report.... I had not heard of this place and will now place it on my radar.... ^
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA since 1998, 1.96 M miles
Last week I ate at the new Sipan location in Palermo (Uriarte 1648) with my wife and our forum's moderator, Alejandro. The food was outstanding, the pisco sours were very good. The service was very good, I liked most of the decor, there was one mural that was a bit too loud for my tastes but its easily ignored I recommend the new spot, its much more appealing than downtown, it is pricey though: 300 pesos for 2 cocktails, entrees, apetizers, and coffee per person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.