Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:29 pm

Pura Tierra

Two years ago when we went to Pura Tierra, even with the address in hand, our taxi driver got lost and couldn't find the place (I don't think it was on purpose). He finally gave up and dropped us off about 3 blocks away near the Viet Nam News Agency building.

We're going back again next week, what is the best way to tell the Taxi driver other than the written address? Unfortunately, we don't speak any Spanish.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by imm2b
Two years ago when we went to Pura Tierra, even with the address in hand, our taxi driver got lost and couldn't find the place (I don't think it was on purpose). He finally gave up and dropped us off about 3 blocks away near the Viet Nam News Agency building.

We're going back again next week, what is the best way to tell the Taxi driver other than the written address? Unfortunately, we don't speak any Spanish.
Show the driver a map: http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/detail.php?ID=3003# Click on "ver mapa" (see map) to the right of the restaurant name.

The nearest landmark is Subte linea D Estacion Olleros (Subway line D, Station Olleros) which is on Avenida Cabildo, cross street Olleros. (I'm ignoring the Starbucks at the other end of the street from the restaurant )
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
The nearest landmark is Subte linea D Estacion Olleros (Subway line D, Station Olleros) which is on Avenida Cabildo, cross street Olleros. (I'm ignoring the Starbucks at the other end of the street from the restaurant )

Thank you SoFlyOn. I'll print the map and bring it with me. BTW, I don't remember seeing any Starbucks two years ago in BsAs
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:35 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/21.2.045; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

Strange that the cabbie got lost... the address is very plain vanilla..... just make sure to say its in Belgrano...
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/21.2.045; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

BTW, Starbucks is less than 1 year old here in EZE...
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K

Strange that the cabbie got lost... the address is very plain vanilla..... just make sure to say its in Belgrano...
May be cabbie just wanted to make some extra pesos. . I thought he was really stressed out trying to find the place, perhaps he was a good actor. I'll write down Belgrano this time.

Gaucho - We missed you last time in EZE, hope to see you on this trip.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:52 am

BTW, Starbucks is less than 1 year old here in EZE...
The first store actually opened in May 2008 (Alto Palermo). Now there are 21 stores:
http://www.starbucks.com.ar/

John
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imm2b

May be cabbie just wanted to make some extra pesos. . I thought he was really stressed out trying to find the place, perhaps he was a good actor. I'll write down Belgrano this time.

Gaucho - We missed you last time in EZE, hope to see you on this trip.
Please feel free to PM me if you wish to meet up.... Im not in town much for the next few weeks, though.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold 1MM
La Cabrera does indeed have a special system..... you can actually get a reservation but you have to be an insider of sorts. And yes, if you appear without a reservation on a busy day you need to make sure you are correctly listed... it is a weird system.

I attempted, via my hotel's concierge (Melia Recoleta) to make a reservation for Saturday evening. I was told La Cabrera was fully booked.

Can you suggest any alternatives to get a reservation, or whether my wife and I may be successful if we show up before their 20:30 opening to try and get on the waiting list?
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsbuffs
I attempted, via my hotel's concierge (Melia Recoleta) to make a reservation for Saturday evening. I was told La Cabrera was fully booked.

Can you suggest any alternatives to get a reservation, or whether my wife and I may be successful if we show up before their 20:30 opening to try and get on the waiting list?
I think there is a huge probability that if you show up between 2000 and 2030 they will get you seated.... just make sure to have a Plan B on hand if they turn you away (which I doubt will happen).

Also, if they seat you please tell them the Melia could not get you a reservation..... I find this hard to believe. Sometimes, if a place does not take care of Concierge Desks, it becomes 'harder' to get a reservation unless the guest/visitors calls himself.

If you have time, please come back and report on your experience.

Thanks,
Gaucho100K
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/22.2.110; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

Had a very nice lunch today at Bella Italia Cafe... excellent Italian informal-Trattoria style food for approx. AR$85 per pax... ^
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/22.2.110; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

Good thinking Hiddy...

But actually the dups were WiFi and 3G connection issues...
Old Nov 28, 2010, 12:58 pm

Good thinking Hiddy...

Good thinking Hiddy...

Good thinking Hiddy...

That must be some hangover this morning
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
That must be some hangover this morning
Darn.... my Nokia N97's connections are acting up again... I post and it hangs.... I cannot tell if Ive posted or not... so I guess the bboard takes the post but I cant seem to refresh the page on my browser.... grrrrr

I think its time to kick the Nokia bucket and buy myself a friggen Iphone !!!!!
Old Nov 29, 2010, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Back on topic... and posting from my ThinkPad so we dont get any dupes...

The EZE F&B scene continues to get more interesting in the Peruvian/Japanese fusion department. For my bday a couple of days ago, my better half and I went to Sipan.... good stuff. Not inexpensive, and the location is not cool or fashionable (downtown financial district)... but the food is darned good. Well worth a visit...

Sipan - Cocina Peruana & Pisco Bar
Paraguay 624
http://www.sipan.com.ar/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.