Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond
I've lived here for two years, and I tend to recommend Parrilla Peņa and Don Julio over La Brigada.

Also, Pura Tierra is absolutely delightful, Gaucho100K introduced me to it last year. The Wild Boar with 17 vegetables is worth the trip to Buenos Aires. Their fish is not as good as the meat options, however, in my two trips there.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:01 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cbd_sea
I've lived here for two years, and I tend to recommend Parrilla Peņa and Don Julio over La Brigada.

Also, Pura Tierra is absolutely delightful, Gaucho100K introduced me to it last year. The Wild Boar with 17 vegetables is worth the trip to Buenos Aires. Their fish is not as good as the meat options, however, in my two trips there.
While I still think La Brigada is a good place, it is true that over the last 2 years or so - Hugo (the owner) has started to turn the place into a rather touristy oriented restaurant.... if he continues to steer things in this way, Im afraid I will have to downgrade La Brigada to the Tourist Trap category. Prices have increased dramatically, as have spreads on wines.... its a shame, I hope he doesnt steer too far off the charts.... time will tell.

Of the other two parrillas, I favor Don Julio but its still a close call... in this category, I also suggest including La Dorita.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by fbnewyork
My wife and I will be in BA from March 11 till March 15 (TH, F,Sa, SU, M). Our Second trip. Breakfast at our Hotel. Lunch we love the queso and Pomodore sandwich. We are looking at the following (From the Board and other sources) - We probably want to eat two dinners of Beef, and we prefer Bife de Chorizo to Lomo (From our last trip) - We are staying in Palermo Soho (Duque Hotel Boutique) - and In general do not eat Shellfish or Pork, and try to eat healthier rather than fatty. Any thoughts,suggestions, additions, eliminations; and are reservations necessary at any of the following - We don't speak Spanish, but are adventurous and are from New York City

M Buenos Aires
BOBO
RESTO
Pura tiera
La Rosa Negra
Happening
La Briganda San Telmo
Casa Cruz
Aramburu
The first one to kill from your list is Casa Cruz.... forget it, just not worth it in many aspects. Unless you are in your late 20īs and want to hook up with someone.... its a waste of a dinner slot.

The other two I would cross out next would be Aramburu and Bobo, followed by Resto. That leaves you with the best 5 of your list, which is a very good list... all the remaining places are must visits... although you could perhaps switch La Brigada for Resto is you like french inspired cuisine... ^
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
While I still think La Brigada is a good place, it is true that over the last 2 years or so - Hugo (the owner) has started to turn the place into a rather touristy oriented restaurant.... if he continues to steer things in this way, Im afraid I will have to downgrade La Brigada to the Tourist Trap category. Prices have increased dramatically, as have spreads on wines.... its a shame, I hope he doesnt steer too far off the charts.... time will tell.
I treat La Brigada more like a neighborhood restaurant (which it is for me when I'm there) than a destination restaurant. Drop in, and if you can squeeze us in, great (even with a short wait), if not, I'll eat elsewhere. My last dinner there (January) was fairly priced (not cheap by any means) and there are wines, if you know where to look, that are reasonable. I've called for reservations twice in the past year, and was not accommodated (in a relatively curt fashion), but just showing up at a similar time, I've been seated, and have had really good meals.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA PLAT SPG DL
WBurcham, cbd_sea, Gaucho100K, Eastbay1K - Thank you for your thoughtful, insightful replies. No, we're not 20's (25 Year aniversary later this year), and you seem to have confirmed and refined our thoughts. Bobo made my list due to the fact that it was also on Guatamala (We're staying at Duque Hotel Boutique, We'll post feedback as this place is relativly new, and Home could not confirm a room [We'd have had to move rooms once or twice] www.duquehotel.com ). It seems Don Julio is also on Guatamala.

Tonight we'll look at the menu's and make a few bookings. We may leave the last two up in the air till we arrive.

We're really looking forward to our trip.^^
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I treat La Brigada more like a neighborhood restaurant (which it is for me when I'm there) than a destination restaurant. Drop in, and if you can squeeze us in, great (even with a short wait), if not, I'll eat elsewhere. My last dinner there (January) was fairly priced (not cheap by any means) and there are wines, if you know where to look, that are reasonable. I've called for reservations twice in the past year, and was not accommodated (in a relatively curt fashion), but just showing up at a similar time, I've been seated, and have had really good meals.
Curt... rude... are words Ive heard quite a bit when talking about both the reservation process and sometimes even the service at La Brigada.... as much as I like the place, if things continue like this I will be looking at permanently de-listing it from my goto list...
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fbnewyork
WBurcham, cbd_sea, Gaucho100K, Eastbay1K - Thank you for your thoughtful, insightful replies. No, we're not 20's (25 Year aniversary later this year), and you seem to have confirmed and refined our thoughts. Bobo made my list due to the fact that it was also on Guatamala (We're staying at Duque Hotel Boutique, We'll post feedback as this place is relativly new, and Home could not confirm a room [We'd have had to move rooms once or twice] www.duquehotel.com ). It seems Don Julio is also on Guatamala.

Tonight we'll look at the menu's and make a few bookings. We may leave the last two up in the air till we arrive.

We're really looking forward to our trip.^^
Please do come back & report your experiences when you have a chance....
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Curt... rude... are words Ive heard quite a bit when talking about both the reservation process and sometimes even the service at La Brigada.... as much as I like the place, if things continue like this I will be looking at permanently de-listing it from my goto list...
Service has always been fine. But the reservation process can be off-putting. This trip I'm here pretty much by myself, so no La Brigada (or similar). My friend and home caretaker is a vegetarian, so when we eat out, it is usually someplace where her only protein option isn't a hunk of grilled provoleta. I actually had a 100% veg dinner tonight By the way, the pizza at Sr. Telmo wasn't as good as it normally is.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Ive just discovered another very good Restaurant... only drawback is that its quite far out North, almost all the way to Tigre.

Captain Cook

More details later....
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D050; Blazer/4.3) 16;320x448)

Ive just discovered another very good Restaurant... only drawback is that its quite far out North, almost all the way to Tigre.

Captain Cook

More details later....
Don't worry about the details until there's enough gasoline for people to fill up their tanks! (Monday?)
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Don't worry about the details until there's enough gasoline for people to fill up their tanks! (Monday?)
Funny you would mention this.... despite all the hype, I only say cues for gas at YPF stations and was able to get all the Gas I wanted at the Exxon and Shell stations where I usually take my GTi to eat....
Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:34 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
On Gaucho's recommendation, we had dinner at Pura Tierra last night. We were first there at 8pm, and had the 8 course degustation menu for $180/person and I had the matching wines for $45. We finally staggered into the taxi at 11pm
The food was excellent (altho. I personally was not so fond of the rabbit dish); ambience and service were also excellent!!^ Some of the dishes were the size of mains that you would get at other restaurants! The wine was free flowing, and I must easily have had 6-7 glasses^ Unbeknown to us, there was a 10% discount for paying with cash....but we left it as well as a tip as the service was so good! Gaucho, please pass on our compliments to the chef, staff, owner etc.

There was an American couple seating next to us, and they told me they had seen a promo about the restaurant on their Delta flight....so I suspect more and more tourist will visit this little gem.

A final steak tonight at Happening, before we leave BsAs tomorrow with my precious litte box of Terroir wine
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for reporting on your Pura Tierra experience !!! ^
Old Apr 24, 2010, 3:08 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
A couple of friends from Los Angeles are visiting BA as I write. I told them to go to Pura Tierra. They are very experienced restaurant diners, and really not that easy to please. They came back and praised the restaurant very highly. The only slight negative was the fact that they were staying at the Four Seasons and the cab ride took about 45 min. each way on a Thursday night (?).
So yet another top review of Pura Tierra from this week.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 3:35 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
So Gaucho, what would you recommend for a good restaurant in walking distance from the Four Seasons on a Friday night (after a long day in Montevideo)?

Also, is Sucre (I know that is quite a drive from the FS) still good and worth the effort to go there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.