Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Morcilla has no place other than on the bargain parrilladas, so that it cannot accidentally be served to me. Morcilla is icky. And yes, I've tried it on one than more occasion.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Morcilla has no place other than on the bargain parrilladas, so that it cannot accidentally be served to me. Morcilla is icky. And yes, I've tried it on one than more occasion.
Yes even amongst Argentines it's something you either like or hate. I know my wife detests it. I was born and brought up in Scotland so eating black pudding - as it's called there, is nothing new for me....however not everyone likes it there either.
I have to say the Scottish one has more seasoning and fat in it....the ones here seem a bit lame in comparison.
Old May 22, 2012, 2:14 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
I don't usually stray too far from the other BA board, but decided on a trip over here as I am staying in a different hotel on my next trip and need some inspiration.

I am a semi-regular visitor to BA, staying around 5-7 days every 2-3 months, I shall be making my 5th trip there shortly. Usually I stay at Art Hotel on Azcuenaga not far from La Recoleta, although they serve breakfast there is no restaurant for evening meals, so I have explored the local area and want to share with you my thoughts on the 3 or 4 restaurants I generally frequent when there. I always dine solo so don't worry if you are without company, these places are friendly enough.

Around 3 blocks away from the hotel on the corner of Antonio Beruti & Ecuador is Ovieda, nextdoor to this is Sake Sushi. I don't think the latter needs an introduction, its sushi, good, cheap sushi.

Ovieda is a very smart place, white tiled floor, dark wood tables/chairs, the range of food is very good and I wouldn't want to pigeon hole a cuisine, I think I have had fish on the 2 occasions I ate there and was very impressed. It is possible to eat well for not a lot of money, but if you wish to add a coffee and Cognac to the mix, they do a nice range of spirits.

A better option for Sushi imho is Koi, on Junin, just off Juncal. Another small place, bear stone floor, small tables, but the food was fantastic. Not just good tasting and well priced, but the presentation was very good. I ate well and had a couple of beers for less than $25.

The best discovery on my last trip was a parilla on Pena, just off Av Pueyrredon called El Estrebe, not a lot to say about this, but the steaks are great, great size, great taste and not bad value. The best thing about this place, if you just want steak and fries that's all you get, but you could feed the table on a single bowl of fries.

Okay, so I have given something to you (hopefully), I'd like something back. I am staying at Hotel de las Americas on Libertad, what can you recommend I do for food, the last time I stayed here was my first time in BA and I chickened out and ate in the hotel when I was in the mood for food. I am arriving on a Monday and heading to Brazil the following Saturday, so no late nights or partying.

Sorry to have gone on!

Rich
Old May 22, 2012, 6:06 am

Some nice recommendations there BicesterTerrier....and good to see you posting on the Argentina forum. ^

Can't help you out on your question hopefully some of the others can. I'd like to know what type of fish you ate in Ovieda? One thing I'm disappointed in is the lack of decent fish and seafood dining here.....at least where I am.
Old May 23, 2012, 2:31 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Some nice recommendations there BicesterTerrier....and good to see you posting on the Argentina forum. ^

Can't help you out on your question hopefully some of the others can. I'd like to know what type of fish you ate in Ovieda? One thing I'm disappointed in is the lack of decent fish and seafood dining here.....at least where I am.
I had a ceviche to start on one visit and for a main the other time it was described to me as "white fish", it was very nice. Although it didn't go with the glass of Malbec I ordered when I first arrived, I had planned on a steak, but changed my mind.

Although I did managed to spill the glass, the table was a tad wobbly, the glass rocked back and forth several times before heading away from me, the wine must have cleared a good 2m before hitting the floor.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by HIDDY
\One thing I'm disappointed in is the lack of decent fish and seafood dining here.....at least where I am.
Have you tried Nemo?
Old May 25, 2012, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by VPescado
Have you tried Nemo?
Not in the capital very often and when we are we usually get out before nightfall.
I was really talking in general....unless you like merluza you can forget about eating anything else fishy in any restaurant where I live. Fish or seafood just doesn't seem to be popular.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:02 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Nemo is a decent enough choice for a somewhat "budget" fish option. Oviedo is the top choice for the best seafood in town, but its not exactly an inexpensive restaurant. However, Oviedo does have one of the best winelists in town so this is a place to keep in mind..... ^
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:38 am

On Hiddy's rec, I'm on here.

I might be staying at the Aspen hotel near Palermo - anywhere good for meat and wine within a walking distance? Any good bars (for a Tuesday night) too? I would be solo, and am a 30s male who likes a drink.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Don Julio? i'm not sure where the aspen is exactly but it's generally pretty solid.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 7:03 am

I'm in the Ultra now, if it makes much difference...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 8:04 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cazoz
I'm in the Ultra now, if it makes much difference...
Ultra...???

Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Ultra...???

http://hotelultra.com/index_eng.php
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by cazoz
For a Tuesday night you can try sugar bar, expat type bar but also popular with Argentinos, or stick to one of the plaza's (Serrano and Armenia).

I'd second Don Julio for steaks within walking distance.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A few nights ago I tried El Baqueano restoelbaqueano.com
And a year later, I tried it again. The best meal of the trip so far. I may have enjoyed last year's meal just a tad more, but not significantly so.

Pleasant service in a relaxed, refined location. Extremely knowledgeable staff. They remembered us when we arrived. Still tasty and interesting, with a somewhat limited (in a good, focused way) wine list. AR$1075 for 3, including 2 bottles of wine, and a 10% cash discount (so it became $1075 for 3, including tip). For an excellent meal in Buenos Aires, this is a very good price. As compared to the $800 spent for the same 3 of us at La Brigada a couple of nights ago for passable meat, 1 bottle of wine, no desserts, and vile service, there's your value comparison. (You can't compare the meal types, so I won't.)

True, a many multi-small course meal isn't for everyone. But for those of you who want to break out of the "steak, empanadas, and steak" diet on your trip here, this place may be for you. I like it better than Pura Tierra, where I've been twice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.