Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:27 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Continuing my trip planning to Argentina in the new year and rather than starting a new thread as it is F&B related although not specific to BsAs.

I am looking for restaurant suggestions in El Calafate and Ushuaia as I shall be spending a few days in both cities.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
I suggest you check over on Trip Advisor for more info on the above.....
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I suggest you check over on Trip Advisor for more info on the above.....
Thanks for your note.

When there is no reply after 3 weeks, it did not take a rocket scientist to figure out that no one who has visited or are residents in El Calafate and Ushuaia participate in this Forum.

I shall make a post about restaurants at these two cities after my trip in the New Year.

Season's Greetings!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Be prepared for European type pricing.... El Calafate is not an inexpensive destination.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Any recommendations for a Monday afternoon lunch before catching an evening flight back to the US near the Intercontinental Hotel? Never get tired of steak and/or Italian at non-tourist trap prices. Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:44 am
Original Poster

For Italian... go to SottoVoce on Libertador. Its upscale so dont expect a budget meal, but this is not Piegari tourist trap. If you want another Italian option thats a little less pricey, then go to La Parolacia.

For dead cow.... a good budget option would be La Dorita, or Don Julio. El Desnivel also gets good reviews but I havent been there.

These are not really close to the Intercon...... sorry, I hate the location of that darned hotel. One place that serves Spanish cuisine that used to be quite good is called Sagardi.... check to see if its still open.

Hope this helps....

Cheers,
Gaucho100K
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:08 pm

For Italian... go to SottoVoce on Libertador. Its upscale so dont expect a budget meal, but this is not Piegari tourist trap. If you want another Italian option thats a little less pricey, then go to La Parolacia.

For dead cow.... a good budget option would be La Dorita, or Don Julio. El Desnivel also gets good reviews but I havent been there.

These are not really close to the Intercon...... sorry, I hate the location of that darned hotel. One place that serves Spanish cuisine that used to be quite good is called Sagardi.... check to see if its still open.

Hope this helps....

Cheers,
Gaucho100K
Great, thanks! I've been to the Sotto Voce on Libertador before and already have plans for going back. Will try La Parolacia and one of the steak places you recommend. This will be our 4th visit to Argentina and as always value your advice and recommendations. I'm not thrilled about the location of the IC either as I much prefer staying in Recoleta but I got a really good deal with status benefits that were hard to pass up.

It is disappointing however that prices have gone up and are not at levels we saw when we first visited BA in 06. Even then, people were saying how it used to be cheaper in the early 2000s.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Great... please report back on your experiences when you have a chance... ^
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Hope this helps....

Cheers,
Gaucho100K
Sagardi is still around - it is just a couple blocks from my place. I've never been in and it looks quite nice - it is always on my "I should go there sometime" list. (Looking at their website - they have several in their restaurant group in España, one in Andorra, and one in BA.)

As far as El desNivel, it is ok. Variable from so-so to very good, but never great. Prices have really shot up there but still a fair chunk less than the better dead cow mortuaries. They will almost invariably be out of the wine you might order from the menu, so look at what is by the bar area if you want to make sure they have what you order in stock. Also if you see the "hoy cordero" sign in the window, they've never had cordero when I've seen the sign and tried to order it. The only reason I go there so often (in relative terms - maybe once or twice per trip) is that is very convenient for me and if I'm alone, a perfectly fine place to dine solo.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:32 pm

Great... please report back on your experiences when you have a chance... ^
Will do!

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Sagardi is still around - it is just a couple blocks from my place. I've never been in and it looks quite nice - it is always on my "I should go there sometime" list. (Looking at their website - they have several in their restaurant group in España, one in Andorra, and one in BA.)
Might try Sagardi as well if it's still open. I believe I ate at a Sagardi when I was in Barcelona earlier this year. Will report back as well if I end up trying it.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Pen this down on your to do list for this upcoming trip.... put it right after "learn from Gaucho how to shop for fruits & veggies".....
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Pen this down on your to do list for this upcoming trip.... put it right after "learn from Gaucho how to shop for fruits & veggies".....
You found fruit and veg in BsAs? Do post! We best avoid that place. Unless of course the fruit was grapes and in liquid form.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
You found fruit and veg in BsAs? Do post! We best avoid that place. Unless of course the fruit was grapes and in liquid form.
If you are trying to be funny, I guess I either dont understand your humour or perhaps your "joke" is of dubious taste. Also, what is it that you avoid, eating fruits and vegatables...?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:26 pm

Gaucho100K (and others)-
My lovely bride and I are looking forward to our first trip to BA in a few weeks. We are staying at the Park Tower and were wondering which location of SottoVoce would be more convenient to our hotel. Also looking for a suggestion for a good parilla nearby that would have something suitable for my non-meat-eating wife (since she is being gracious enough to being open to our visiting a parilla, I want to make sure she won't suffer too much watching me sample the finest BA meats!)
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by postnobills
Gaucho100K (and others)-
My lovely bride and I are looking forward to our first trip to BA in a few weeks. We are staying at the Park Tower and were wondering which location of SottoVoce would be more convenient to our hotel. Also looking for a suggestion for a good parilla nearby that would have something suitable for my non-meat-eating wife (since she is being gracious enough to being open to our visiting a parilla, I want to make sure she won't suffer too much watching me sample the finest BA meats!)
I suggest you go to the original SottoVoce, which is on Libertador. From the Park Tower, both locations are about the same distance away... regardless, the real SottoVoce is the original, the location on Puerto Madero just doesnt have the same ambiance and IMO the staff is not as professional.

Almost all Parillas will have options for non meat eaters.... you will be fine with you better half not starving...
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
A few nights ago I tried El Baqueano restoelbaqueano.com

What a nice surprise. I’ve walked by it for the past few years, always a bit hesitant, because they serve “native” meats, birds, etc. The menu is limited to a AR$160 tasting menu (under $40) for several courses that are the most interesting and tasty I’ve had in Buenos Aires. (I’m not talking about big hunk of dead cow tasty, I’m talking about innovative food.) In fact, I much preferred this meal over the tasting menu at Pura Tierra. One of the courses was a tribute to El Bulli. Fear not, this isn’t a restaurant full of foams.

The wine list had a few options in each of many varietals. The server (one of the owners) was quite knowledgeable in everything she served, and knew the wines well. As much as you might be afraid of eating llama carpaccio, well, you shouldn’t be, nor with ñandu (an ostrich like bird), or yacare (alligator-like) -filled gyoza, or anything else we ate, including an edible wood.

The restaurant is located in San Telmo. A thoroughly pleasant experience. They also offer a 4 pour wine pairing for $115pp - we instead started with a bottle of rose, followed by a bottle of red. The wine price points will not ruin your meal - they cover a wide range starting in the just-under US$20/bottle, and most categories had something in the under US$25 range (and of course, a lot higher, should you choose).

For those that spend any time in Buenos Aires, the empanada, steak, pizza, steak, and empanada diet gets old after a few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.