Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires F&B Scene - Volume I

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
The EZE F&B scene continues to get more interesting in the Peruvian/Japanese fusion department. For my bday a couple of days ago, my better half and I went to Sipan.... good stuff.[/url]
Alex, what do you think of Astrid y Gastón?

http://www.astridygaston.com
Old Nov 29, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Darn.... my Nokia N97's connections are acting up again... I post and it hangs.... I cannot tell if Ive posted or not... so I guess the bboard takes the post but I cant seem to refresh the page on my browser.... grrrrr...
... For my bday a couple of days ago,...]
The forgetful forties. It's all downhill from here on.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 2:37 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
Alex, what do you think of Astrid y Gastón?

http://www.astridygaston.com
I think its good.... but in its price class, I think Sipan is better. Having said this, the styles are somewhat different.... Astrid & Gaston is more of a cevicheria, while Sipan is a more Nobu-esque type of menu..... they still have Ceviche but their forte is in the more traditional based sushi-derivatives....
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:35 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Just back from our first visit to Buenos Aires, where we benefited greatly from tips and notes in this and various other threads. Many thanks, especially to Gaucho100k (whose shop we didn't get to visit this time). The Christmas heatwave meant we couldn't do all we had hoped to, but we had a good time and will return.

Two brief notes, both positive:

Firstly, Pura Tierra was well worth the (longer than usual) taxi ride through snarled up traffic. We noted the menu advice that "each one of our portions, it’s a degustation, no more, no less" and chose the tasting menu -- but were defeated by the quantities. A shame to have to leave some of the later courses unfinished, as most of what we were served was truly delicious.

Secondly, many restaurants seem to have a fixed AR$ mark up on wine rather than adding a percentage. In most cases that we encountered, the bottle price was AR$40 to AR$50 above retail. This will be old news to locals and regulars, but it's not common in the parts of the world I'm more familiar with. It certainly made deciding to order better wines extremely easy.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SoFlyOn
The forgetful forties. It's all downhill from here on.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Returning to BA this month and hoping to try a few restaurants that we haven't been to before as well as return to two favorites but are recommended by Gaucho100K. Any comments anyone cares to make whether or not we should go to a particular restaurant (i.e. change in management, decline in service, etc) would be greatly appreciated!

El Grill Mariott Plaza
Parilla 1880
Don Julio
Sottovoce Libertador
El Mirasol*

*I know Alex and others think this is a tourist trap and a bit overpriced but we loved it on our first visit and especially like their empanadas and for dessert, la recova.

Thanks and I will report back after our trip on the restaurants we visit.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 3:34 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/22.2.110; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

I think your list is great... but I would swap El Mirasol for one of the Peruvian options.... here is a shortlist:

M Buenos Aires
Sipan
Astrid & Gaston
Old Jan 21, 2011, 6:59 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by RxCapt
Returning to BA this month and hoping to try a few restaurants that we haven't been to before as well as return to two favorites but are recommended by Gaucho100K. Any comments anyone cares to make whether or not we should go to a particular restaurant (i.e. change in management, decline in service, etc) would be greatly appreciated!

El Grill Mariott Plaza
Parilla 1880
Don Julio
Sottovoce Libertador
El Mirasol*

*I know Alex and others think this is a tourist trap and a bit overpriced but we loved it on our first visit and especially like their empanadas and for dessert, la recova.

Thanks and I will report back after our trip on the restaurants we visit.
Sottovoce is one of my favorites. You should really enjoy this. The wine can be a little pricey, but it is a great place for lunch.

If you've not already done it, i highly recommend trying pizza while in BsAs. A good one is in the not to be missed category, although on my last trip I did have a truly awful one.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:05 am

Wirelessly posted (Nokia N97 / Palm TX: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-3/22.2.110; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.4)

I think your list is great... but I would swap El Mirasol for one of the Peruvian options.... here is a shortlist:

M Buenos Aires
Sipan
Astrid & Gaston
OK will give one of them a shot.

Originally Posted by tenmoc
Sottovoce is one of my favorites. You should really enjoy this. The wine can be a little pricey, but it is a great place for lunch.

If you've not already done it, i highly recommend trying pizza while in BsAs. A good one is in the not to be missed category, although on my last trip I did have a truly awful one.
Yeah, I went to Sottovoce on my last visit and can't wait to go back. Any good pizza places in or near the Recoleta area?

Last edited by RxCapt; Jan 22, 2011 at 11:10 am
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:09 am

Any good burger places?

One of the many reasons I love visiting Argentina is the beef. (Wine is another top reason too!) Are burgers a big deal there? Are there any places that you could recommend to get a good burger? I was more focused on lomo and mixed grill on my previous visits but am looking to expand my horizons. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Burgers are good, but not great... the good ones are found at small family run places like Pepino in Martinez/Acasusso.

Kind of out of the way for an out of town visitor...
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by RxCapt
Yeah, I went to Sottovoce on my last visit and can't wait to go back. Any good pizza places in or near the Recoleta area?
I had a local friend take me for the pizza I enjoyed most. This was during Cow Do III, so it was in 2007. We went to Romario at Beruti 2601.

I'll let Alex chime in on other pizza places as well but I quite enjoyed this. Had the blue cheese pizza and beer that night.

A link I found just now googling it is http://www.travelchannel.com/Places_...urants/Romario

You can also find links to my restaurant reviews for BsAs somewhere in the Cow Do III or Cow Do IV (i think III) thread near the front.

Last edited by tenmoc; Jan 24, 2011 at 11:34 am
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:47 am
Original Poster

For Pizza... one of my favorites is Morelia.... their specialty is the Pizza a la Parrilla (made on a traditional Argentine Grill).

http://www.moreliarestaurant.com/index.php?Itemid=1
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Last September we had a pizza in a local cafe/restaurant on Bernardo de Irigoyen south of Independencia (we stayed in San Telmo) and mistakenly ordered a large....

Slightly different than we expected but nevertheless interesting and tasty

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 9, 2011, 4:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm surprised there has been but one mention of Helado in this thread in the past ~10 years. This was one of our best rememberances. The one I remember is Persicco. It's a chain with many locations. I still have the fridge magnet! There must be 40 ways to use Dulce de Leche in helado and I'd be willing to try every one!

Are there better places to recommend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.