Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Only got 12.95 in Calle Florida yesterday - but I was only changing $200 so wasn't going to waste a lot of time chasing the best rate (was working off 13,15 rate from the Dolarblue twitter account that hadn't been updated for a few weeks - updated to 13.65 afterwards...)

£7 'cost' vs rate posted not a lot. Brought about 50m up the road and into a ground floor retail unit in a shopping centre so didn't feel concerned about process. After scoping out the street approaches one guy who quoted '20.7' - think it was his English but asked him to confirm and passed (not a great rate if he meant 12.7, and language issues something I wanted to avoid)

Made the 11.8 at my hotel seem not too bad - big convenience factor for first day changing $100 that way, rather than needing to rush off to Calle Florida first thing. Plus I view it as a quasi tip for the reception guys

Think I'll hang onto any change I have as quite enjoying BA and plan to come back

@DolarBlue: Dolar Paralelo: $14,05 (Todays Rate 12/30/14
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

@DolarBlue: Dolar Paralelo: $14,05 (Todays Rate 12/30/14
If only I'd waited a few hours! C'est la vie
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:32 pm

Xoom seems to be a ripoff - beyond its hefty fee (almost 5% of the amount remitted) they also offer a lousy exchange rate: 11.4 today compared to the average blue rate of 14
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
dup - deleted
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by Annapurna
Xoom seems to be a ripoff - beyond its hefty fee (almost 5% of the amount remitted) they also offer a lousy exchange rate: 11.4 today compared to the average blue rate of 14
This is incorrect. Xoom's service is totally en blanco, as opposed to trading via an arbolito which is technically illegal.

With Xoom, you can transfer money via your credit/debit card/bank account in the US, whereas with an arbolito you'll have to have US bills (preferably 100s) in good condition.

The Xoom exchange rate today is actually 11.8075, with a 3% commission on a USD$1000 bank transfer (4.67% via debit/credit card). Via a arbolito it's currently about 13.

Don't get confused by some of the web sites that are mainly of interest to Argentines - where the BUY rate for USD is quoted. Also the rate is dependent on how much you want to trade and where the transaction is done - e.g. an arbolito wil take a small cut.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Annapurna
In addition to what SoFlyOn has so eloquently stated, XOOM permits you to get money if you don't have any cash in Argentina. Otherwise, you're stuck with using a CC or ATM at the official rate if you are otherwise out of foreign cash on hand.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Would like to know this as well.
Anyone?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:22 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Anyone?
What would you like to know...?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
What would you like to know...?
How to get Argentinian Pesos at a favourable rate when I step out of the plane in Iguazu
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
How to get Argentinian Pesos at a favourable rate when I step out of the plane in Iguazu
Is Iguazu your first point of entry into Argentina....???
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Is Iguazu your first point of entry into Argentina....???
Yes. I fly SCL-AEP-IGR.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:30 am

Yes. I fly SCL-AEP-IGR.
Im afraid I cant assist you with any specific suggestions for Iguazu. You may be able to get help with the concierge and/or front-desk of your hotel... Taxi Drivers also know where to go. You could also ask over on TripAdvisor, the forums sometimes have local experts that are able to assist with things like this.

Else, if you are able to build in a stopover in Buenos Aires of approx. 4-5 hours you could use that time to fill up on Pesos while you are in the City.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum etc
I stayed at the PH between christmas and new year. It was easy to exchange money at Florida - although I only got 12.8 but the process much easier and simpler than I was led to believe. Overall, I did not get ripped off. I have had phones stolen in Paris and Barcelona and cash in the Lourvre but ended up lucky in BA. All big cities have their issues.
Ate at Ilatina, La Brigada, Fevour, Parilla Pena, Sarkis, Baja Madeiro (open on christmas day). We returned to Parilla Pena twice -loved their half bottles and lack of english menu. It would be on top of my list next time. Somehow Malbec tastes better in Argentina then the States. The best empanadas were at the PH (based on my small sample) - I would go there to eat them again.
The Malba exceeded my expectations esp a current exhibit by Antonio Berni.
Also stayed at the Hilton Puerto Madero for a couple of night - it was not bad either.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What is PH?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:31 pm

Thanks for the quick report and welcome to FT !!! Hope to see more of you here on the Argentina Boards.

Cheers,
Alex / Gaucho100K

Originally Posted by donbrad99
I stayed at the PH between christmas and new year. It was easy to exchange money at Florida - although I only got 12.8 but the process much easier and simpler than I was led to believe. Overall, I did not get ripped off. I have had phones stolen in Paris and Barcelona and cash in the Lourvre but ended up lucky in BA. All big cities have their issues.
Ate at Ilatina, La Brigada, Fevour, Parilla Pena, Sarkis, Baja Madeiro (open on christmas day). We returned to Parilla Pena twice -loved their half bottles and lack of english menu. It would be on top of my list next time. Somehow Malbec tastes better in Argentina then the States. The best empanadas were at the PH (based on my small sample) - I would go there to eat them again.
The Malba exceeded my expectations esp a current exhibit by Antonio Berni.
Also stayed at the Hilton Puerto Madero for a couple of night - it was not bad either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.