Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
Going to Cordoba

Anyone know where/if there is a collection of money changers in Cordoba (cuevas) similar to Calle Florida in BA? And are they close to the rate on dolarblue.net?

Gracias.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 1:46 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
What to expect nowadays?

I'll be arriving at EZE this saturday (july 26) afternoon, staying in BA until tuesday (29) .

I already have 1000 pesos (from my last trip to Mendoza) so I guess I'll be buying more pesos on sunday evening or monday morning. What's the rate nowadays? I'm reading about rate changes during july vacations,and also usually it's worse on weekends.

I'll be staying at Microcentro, any updated recommendation of dollar blue in the zone?
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Villavic
I'll be arriving at EZE this saturday (july 26) afternoon, staying in BA until tuesday (29) .

I already have 1000 pesos (from my last trip to Mendoza) so I guess I'll be buying more pesos on sunday evening or monday morning. What's the rate nowadays? I'm reading about rate changes during july vacations,and also usually it's worse on weekends.

I'll be staying at Microcentro, any updated recommendation of dollar blue in the zone?
Best bet is to just walk along Florida street Between Belgrano and Corrientes, and the touts will find you. Apparently, from what I've heard, the Blue Rate is up to 12 pesos to the dollar on Florida Street now - possibly even slightly higher if you're changing several hundred dollars at once. The official rate is just above 8.1 And I'm sure that the rate on Monday will be better than Sunday.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Argentina in default!

Don't hang onto your pesos. Argentina has defaulted for the second time in 13 years after officials failed to come to an agreement with the country's bondholders. This has major implications for the exchange rate. US Dollars will continue to be king! http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/30/inve....html?iid=Lead
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Go Dolar Blue!

Sort of disappointed that, 24 hours after the default, the Dolar Blue is actually stronger than during the final hours of crisis. And I had counted on the "dead cow dinners" getting cheaper! It would appear -- and this is just a guess -- that Kirchner's and Kicillof's rhetoric about "nothing special, nothing to see here" is having the desired effect. Argentina's eighth default? Just move on, please. Quite a few people on the street, quoted in the BBC, The Wall Street Journal and other publictions, are saying substantially: "Look, we've been through this before. We don't keep any of our money in pesos, so we have no local money to chase blue dollars." Any different interpretations from our well-informed B.A. contingent?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:17 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Turned Upside Down?

On http://www.dolarblue.net/I also noticed these anomalies: cuevas offering a better rate than arbolitos (usually it is the reverse); and a pretty wide spread (40 centavos) between the bid and asked (compra and venta) rates. The spread is usually 10 centavos. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
I'll be doing the EZE -> AEP transfer on Saturday on my way to IGR and I was wondering if there's anything convenient to get a decent blue rate either along the way or in Iguazu?
(worse case I guess I'll just try to duck over to Florida street from the MTL centro station and try not to get ripped off with counterfeit bills)

Last edited by rob_flies_ua; Aug 6, 2014 at 10:43 pm
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spainflyer
On http://www.dolarblue.net/I also noticed these anomalies: cuevas offering a better rate than arbolitos (usually it is the reverse); and a pretty wide spread (40 centavos) between the bid and asked (compra and venta) rates. The spread is usually 10 centavos. Any thoughts?
This link doesn't work.

What are the current exchange rates?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This link doesn't work.

What are the current exchange rates?
www.dolarblue.net
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I like this site. The chart at mid-page is gives a nice historical perspective for all us amateur currency traders.

http://www.ambito.com/economia/mercados/monedas/dolar/
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:30 am

Ambito, Cronista, DolarBlue or La Nación?

Interesting that these sites differ somewhat in their quotes for buying USD.

I do understand that this is not a science and that the exchange rate is fixed on the street rather than in a mainframe in Zurich, but what accounts for the differences? Is it just talking to different arbolitos and cuevas, or is it something more complicated?

And, are there places that consistently give better rates than others? I do understand that Calle Florida is very different to Mendoza, Rosario and Patagonia, but within city-center Buenos Aires are there better places and not-so-good places?

And, does the rate vary according to the amount exchanged – a better rate for selling more dollars? Or do I get the same rate exchanging 10 USD as 1000?

Thanks! Still looking forward to those (reasonably priced) dead cow dinners!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Just hit 14 ARS to USD..
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Today the blue dollar is being quoted at 14.7 pesos , looks like it will hit 15 shortly.

I am currently with my family enjoying a few days off in Córdoba. There is a palpable hunger here for dollars.

For obvious reasons I am changing dollars as I go, at or near the blue rate, and paying for everything in cash. Argentina is a reasonably priced destination on blue dollar prices.

The only disadvantage is that the government, not wanting to admit that inflation is the problem it is, has refused to print any banknotes in denominations greater than AR$100. At the blue rate, that's equivalent to around US$7.00. So, as you can imagine, I'm walking around with a very full wallet! Perhaps her majesty presidenta Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner and her esteemed Economy Minister Alex Kicillof will come to their senses soon, and start printing AR$1,000 notes...

The friends we are staying with seem completely nonplussed by all this. I suppose that this is because they have spent many years as expats before returning to Córdoba a few months ago, and so they have easy access to dollars stashed away in foreign accounts. Like us, they are paying for everything in cash that they no doubt obtained by changing blue dollars.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Any one knows a place to get blue rate in Ushuaia? I'm going to USH first, then head back to EZE.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Blue dollar hits 15.4 today according to La Nación:

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1729627-c...ue-oficial-hoy

The gap between the official and blue rates continues to increase. This is not sustainable; something's got to give (or maybe not? but the alternative is Venezuela...). I expect we'll see another "official" devaluation soon. I'm betting we'll see US$1.00=AR$10.00 before the end of this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.