Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:53 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Excellent report.... thanks for sharing.

Glad it all worked out for you.... ^

Originally Posted by KPhill
Hello Gaucho and friends. I ultimately waited until arriving in Argentina to exchange.

My results are as follows thus far:

13 Feb USD3000 @ 11.5 at "Exchange & Antiques" on Rodriguez Pena in Recoleta.
16 Feb USD1000 @ 10.8 at a place in La Boca, the name of which I don't recall. I am told that the rate is bad on the weekends.
17 Feb USD1500 @ 10.6057 via XOOM, plus a USD30 fee.
17 Feb USD200 @ 11.2, same place on Rodriguez Pena.

A few observations, some of which may have been made by previous posters:

Avoid weekend exchange - rates are much worse.

My hotel (Algodon Mansion) offered a 5% discount for paying in cash in ARS, which was a nice benefit on top of the Dolar Blue rate. Park Hyatt did not offer a similar discount.

My concierge thought it a bad idea to go to Calle Florida because of the risk of counterfeit currency and theft, but was more adamant about the former. She suggested the place on Rodriguez Pena and a few others. Perhaps they get some type of commission but others warned of counterfeit risks as well on Florida.

XOOM was a minor hassle but will be better next time with the help of my recent experience. Certainly a good option once you run out of cash. It was very simple to use electronically even for a first timer like myself. The cash pickup would have been better had I first visited to the "Central" location at Libertad 1057 entre Santa Fé y Marcelo T. Alvear. The branch location I went to first said that ARS ~16.000 was too much money for me to pick up at once.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:42 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Hello Gaucho and friends. I ultimately waited until arriving in Argentina to exchange.

My results are as follows thus far:

13 Feb USD3000 @ 11.5 at "Exchange & Antiques" on Rodriguez Pena in Recoleta.
16 Feb USD1000 @ 10.8 at a place in La Boca, the name of which I don't recall. I am told that the rate is bad on the weekends.
17 Feb USD1500 @ 10.6057 via XOOM, plus a USD30 fee.
17 Feb USD200 @ 11.2, same place on Rodriguez Pena.

A few observations, some of which may have been made by previous posters:

Avoid weekend exchange - rates are much worse.

My hotel (Algodon Mansion) offered a 5% discount for paying in cash in ARS, which was a nice benefit on top of the Dolar Blue rate. Park Hyatt did not offer a similar discount.

My concierge thought it a bad idea to go to Calle Florida because of the risk of counterfeit currency and theft, but was more adamant about the former. She suggested the place on Rodriguez Pena and a few others.......
Thanks for the helpful info.
What cross street is 'exchange & antiques' located on Rodríguez Peña?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Di, AA Plat, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Thanks for the helpful info.
What cross street is 'exchange & antiques' located on Rodríguez Peña?
Between Guido & Vicente Lopez, but closer to Vicente Lopez. Hope that helps.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:30 pm

Between Guido & Vicente Lopez, but closer to Vicente Lopez. Hope that helps.
Thank you very much. ^
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:48 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Di, AA Plat, Hyatt Glb
Did another US$2500 @ 11.3 this morning, same place.

Also on Saturday I was coming back from Uruguay and was able to exchange @ ~10.2 @ PDP airport exchange booth by withdrawing Uruguayan Pesos from the ATM @ 21.89 UYU/USD and then converting the UYU to ARS.

Doesn't work as well if you try to exchange USD for ARS at PDP airport; I came up with about 9.2 going that route. But 10.2 at PDP airport at the exchange booth was closer to ~11.6 Dolar Blue than 7.8 official rate. And it was a weekend so ultimately not that much of a loss.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
An arbolito on a bike.... clever idea. i wonder when the competition is going to start kicking in....

enjoy the reading....

--J
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
Few data points:

Late Jan/ 1st of Feb I was able to get 12 pesos to a dollar. I took $100 bills with me in advance thinking it would help, but the guy I use on Florida st gave me the same rate wether it was 20s or 100s.

Last week on the 20th the highest I could find was 11.5 / dollar but most of the other people on Florida St were offering 11.2 / 11.3. I got this rate from my usual guy, and then another random kiosk on a sunday when his office was closed.

Both times the prices were in line with what is posted online on the dollar blue website.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by pnq91
Few data points:

Late Jan/ 1st of Feb I was able to get 12 pesos to a dollar. I took $100 bills with me in advance thinking it would help, but the guy I use on Florida st gave me the same rate wether it was 20s or 100s.

Last week on the 20th the highest I could find was 11.5 / dollar but most of the other people on Florida St were offering 11.2 / 11.3. I got this rate from my usual guy, and then another random kiosk on a sunday when his office was closed.

Both times the prices were in line with what is posted online on the dollar blue website.
Thanks for the update.. I like the Dolar Blue Website (I even subscribe to its Twitter Feed) updates prices daily and more often when volatility is present..
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Thanks for the update.. I like the Dolar Blue Website (I even subscribe to its Twitter Feed) updates prices daily and more often when volatility is present..
This past weekend when I went back down the best rate I could get was 11.1 /$
Most changers were offering 10.8 or so. Seems like the hysteria has calmed for a bit now.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:14 pm

Thanks you all for you data points & input. Now that my trip was over, here is my feedback.
A week ago, I changed money on Florida St (week day), the blue rate was 11.0; on weekend, I got 10.6.
Old or new US$100 did not seem to affect the blue rate. If recalled correctly, the money changer was located at 780 on Florida.
At the same time, many restaurants accepted US$ at the rate of 10.0.
Some restaurants gave a cash discount.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I found this week in BA that some restaurants will accept US bills as payment (with change delivered in pesos); I got 10:1 at a couple of places (one in Monserrat and one in Palermo) and 9:1 at another place (on Avda de Mayo). It's a bit hit-or-miss.

Since I'm on a business trip and not using my own money, I'm not going to run around the city rate-shopping, but I'll definitely seek to save my employer some cash if it doesn't take much work.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
I found this week in BA that some restaurants will accept US bills as payment (with change delivered in pesos); I got 10:1 at a couple of places (one in Monserrat and one in Palermo) and 9:1 at another place (on Avda de Mayo). It's a bit hit-or-miss.

Since I'm on a business trip and not using my own money, I'm not going to run around the city rate-shopping, but I'll definitely seek to save my employer some cash if it doesn't take much work.
You can call the establishments beforehand to ask if they'll accept US dollars. That way, you don't caught with a hefty bill and no pesos.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:18 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA

Xoom is also an option.... although you do have to go pickup the cash to one of their locations.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I did the cambio de Florida 3 times last week. I did $100/$100/$200, so smaller trades. The street quote remained $10.50 but I had no issue negotiating better, $10.70 and $10.80 for the $200.

Dolar Blue showed quotes of $10.80 to $11.05 so I feel I did pretty well.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
I did the cambio de Florida 3 times last week. I did $100/$100/$200, so smaller trades. The street quote remained $10.50 but I had no issue negotiating better, $10.70 and $10.80 for the $200.

Dolar Blue showed quotes of $10.80 to $11.05 so I feel I did pretty well.
Good Job! And thanks for the report.. I prefer not to trade on Florida, however your market indication will certainly help others that do.. I was in Santiago, Chile last week. A Dolar Azul Market does not exist there from what I observed. As others have pointed out. The Economy is doing well, so such abritrage does not exist... Safe Travels..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Mar 18, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.