Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not that long ago we had a Banco Nacion employee privately sell us US dollars at his desk. This country really is turning into a joke.
Well,thats what hapends when petty crime is acepted,on the other hand its natural for petty crime to be acepted when the political system is more or less based on grand crime. Its a law of nature and so, unfortunately unavoidable!!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
I was there in March; went to this place on Arenales between Libertad and Talcahuano. I believe it had a "Jewelry" sign in front and no display, white window glass. Ring the bell and they will let you in. Very professional and not shady at all. Went there twice during my trip, and got 7.8 to 1.Exchanged over $1000 USD. The 78+ $100ARS bills I received were all legit, none were ever questioned when used. The shady sounding touts on Florida were offering 7/7.5 to 1 at the time; it can get a little overwhelming on Florida when you are getting mob by guys calling out "cambio cambio"...
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:22 am

Wink Any blu rate exchanger in el calafate, argentina?

I won't be in BAaires, but will be in El Calafate for ten days or so. Is there a chance I could exchange my dollars to pesos with the blue rate? Where should I try to do the exchange? Any potential problems/risks doing the exchange in El Calafate? Would appreciate any advice and tips on this issue. Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
Much harder in El Calafate as it is a resort town catered to foreign tourist. Cool thing was I was able to change my ARS (which I got for 7.5:1USD in BA) back to USD at a guest house in El Calafate at 5.5ARS:1USD. This was back in March. My suggestion is to visit a travel agency office as ask for "Cambio". I had decent success doing that when I was in Iguazu.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 2:17 pm

Just got back from a week in BA. Our first hotel, in Palermo, directed us to a storefront a few blocks away that gave us the blue rate and crisp new bills.

A few days later, our hotel in San Telmo would not make any suggestions. We went down to Florida Street and found the many people calling out "cambio, cambio". We stood and watched for a while and saw multiple people exchange money on the street. At one point, a federal police officer went up to talk to the people doing the exchanging, then walked away. We did a small exchange at a good rate (better than the storefront) with no problems.

I certainly had mixed feelings about the whole thing.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
In Punta del Este this week, I was low on Argentine pesos prior to my departure for BsAs. Went to a cambio and rec'd 9.2 pesos to the dollar. Not a great rate, but certainly not bad.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
Shopkeepers have been offering me 10:1 for purchases in USD (change in pesos).

I received 9:1 through an acquaintance who delivered it to our rental apartment (obviating the need to walk around with big stacks of cash).
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
For those recently spending US$ in shops/restaurants, did the merchants want larger notes? Did they inspect them carefully? Or did it not matter whether you were using $1s, $20s or $100s?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:55 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Merchants will take notes of most all denominations, if they are in decent shape.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 5:50 pm

For the few purchases we made with US$ they didn't give them a second look as they were very accustomed to the currency, still always ask first. As of today I've been quoted 9.5 on the lower part of Calle Florida and 9.2 on the northern part. Stores seem to do 9:1 and hotels 8.5:1. That is as of today, and I'm sure its variable.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Plat, Amex Plat
I was short of pesos today so I dropped by Florida as well (between lines B and D on the subte.

I changed 300 in total. In each case at one of the shops that flank the street.

I received 9.5 when I bought something and 9 . 3 when I did not.

I used 3 crisp 100 USD bills. The most expensive thing I purchased was a 9 dollar wallet.

I did not consider using any of the street dealers.

Everyone was quite open about it after I broke the ice. "Hola. I would like to buy something but I only have a 100 USD bill, what exchange will you give me?"
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:50 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
We traded twice on calle Florida at 9.7 per usd. No issues, no fake bills.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Is it possible to get USD out of the ATMs down there?

The reason I ask is cause I'm spending 2 days in Mexico City before hand and don't want to be carrying around tons of cash. If not, could I get USD at the Mexico City airport before flying down?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Majikow
Is it possible to get USD out of the ATMs down there?

The reason I ask is cause I'm spending 2 days in Mexico City before hand and don't want to be carrying around tons of cash. If not, could I get USD at the Mexico City airport before flying down?
You will not be able to get US$ at an ATM here, and in fact, from no source other than a (approx) 10 to 1 source. You should be able to get USD at MEX at an unfavorable exchange rate, but it should still be worthwhile.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not that long ago we had a Banco Nacion employee privately sell us US dollars at his desk. This country really is turning into a joke.
Yeah. It's really crazy. I just came back from 2 weeks there, and the peso devalued from 9 to 10 in that time frame. I feel bad for the Argentinians who work hard and don't get their salaries re-adjusted every week. They won't be able to travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.