Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jlisi984
hey all,
Going to be in AR next week. Arriving Sunday, would be great to exchange already that day. If not possible Monday is fine. Staying at the PH. If someone can PM with info of best/nearest place I would be much obliged. Looking to exchange around 1K US.
Thanks!
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
"Jewels" on Arenales.
That's the place I used when I visited a few weeks ago - easy walk from the PH. Got 12.1 when the Blue Rate I saw on Twitter that morning was 12.38. Several locals came in while I waited as well FWIW.

What's the FT protocol on posting specific info for these places? I can give the exact address, but don't want to get them in trouble. jlisi984 feel free to PM me if you'd like it.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Go on a shopping spree?
As a side note, I got the business card from the "Jewels" place on Arenales. Has the address and other info on it. I could scan it and post it on FT, or if this thread is monitored by secret Argentine police, you can PM me and I give you the address.
I don't know the FT protocol - but if you found the place I'm sure the Argentine police could find it if they wanted. These places aren't secret. I exchanged money with one fellow outside with the police standing nearby. The blue market is out in the open and the police know all about it. The rate is printed in the papers even.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:12 am

Like everybody else we can recommend the Jewelry in Arenales 1245. If the door is closed, ring the bell and wait.
We also used a money transfer agency in Recoleta, las Heras 2082 - no complaints.
As far as I know this service is perfectly legal. Locals regularly use it.

Last edited by luluki; Jun 3, 2015 at 6:29 am
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:31 pm

We used Jewels too. They also took our leftover 1000 Uruguayan peso note and I think they actually ended up giving us a better rate on that than they should have. (We thought they might not take it, but since we were also exchanging USD$100's, we thought we might as well try.)
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by wcj1
We used Jewels too. They also took our leftover 1000 Uruguayan peso note and I think they actually ended up giving us a better rate on that than they should have. (We thought they might not take it, but since we were also exchanging USD$100's, we thought we might as well try.)
Used Jewels today as well. Door showed store open until 5:30, but door was locked when we arrived about 4:30ish. We ringed the bell and someone came forward from the back. Was taken to a small room right next to the entrance where the man sat down, punched the exchange rate on the calculator. I handed him the bills, he counted them, checked to make sure they were not counterfeit, then went to the back with the USD and came back with pesos. 12.4 was the rate offered (Dollar Blue is showing 12.68), so was generally pleased after getting just a hair over 11 in Mendoza from Xoom. Brought the new Benjamins, which the man seemed to appreciate. Short and nice walk from the PH.

Last edited by slippahs; Jun 24, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Have BA options tightened for the casual traveler wanting to sell a few hundred with the recent crackdown or is that only impacting the larger volume operations?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:16 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Have BA options tightened for the casual traveler wanting to sell a few hundred with the recent crackdown or is that only impacting the larger volume operations?
The "crackdown" has a theatrical aspect to it. My view is that you would have to be very unlucky to get caught when making a trade. The usual "rules" apply, use common sense and make sure you understand the risks, etc. Also, Xoom and other similar services are also available for those that are OK with not getting the best exchange rate but still want to do far better than the official rate.

Feel free to PM me for details.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Rates are edging up again 13.6 today on @Dolor Blue (Twitter)
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
The "crackdown" has a theatrical aspect to it. My view is that you would have to be very unlucky to get caught when making a trade. The usual "rules" apply, use common sense and make sure you understand the risks, etc. Also, Xoom and other similar services are also available for those that are OK with not getting the best exchange rate but still want to do far better than the official rate.

Feel free to PM me for details.
Thank you.

I won't be down until January and I expect things to change greatly between now and then, the Argentine way.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
No pun intended?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Thank you.

I won't be down until January and I expect things to change greatly between now and then, the Argentine way.
For us living here I don't expect much to change for the better.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
13.4 Today..
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
13.4 Today..
The official rate is 9.08. Is it really worth the risk to try to get this "dolar blue exchange rate" if it's not that significant?

If you are in Venezuela I understand that you would be after the Black market rate considering it's 12.8 vs 450. But 9.08 vs 13!?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:50 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
The official rate is 9.08. Is it really worth the risk to try to get this "dolar blue exchange rate" if it's not that significant?
This is a valid point. I always say that each individual needs to do his/her own math and figure out what is best. There are many options to play the currency game, from a street trade, to direct US$ cash payment, Xoom and other similar services, and other turn-key solutions.

There is no absolute wrong or right way to go by this, I suggest folks do their homework and decide what is best for each individual case.

Also, please remember that the exchange rates (both the Official and all the variants of the Blue/street rate) can go UP but also can go DOWN, and that there is always the bid/ask spread that you must factor into any arithmetic you do.

Safe travels to all and please do not hesitate to contact me via PM/email for specific questions.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer

If you are in Venezuela I understand that you would be after the Black market rate considering it's 12.8 vs 450. But 9.08 vs 13!?
Risk is subjective to whom is partaking. Taking a short walk from my Hotel to a Compra Oro (Jewelry Shop) Showing the clerk the USD, they showimg me the conversion on a calulator, then exchanging bills (mind you..never a Fake in all the years). Then I say for me its quite low in the risk category. Thanks and Safe Travels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.