Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Banana4321
Surely you're better off selling at the official rate?!
Not sure what you mean?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hi, how is UK currency viewed as a candidate for getting Peso in BA please? Can I bring my stash of £50 notes or should I only bring $100 bills?
The margin between the street value of ARS-USD and official value of ARS-USD

is larger than

the margin between the street value of ARS-GBP and the official value of ARS-GBP.

I'd exchange my GBP for USD before I head to Argentina again, if interested in seeking the blue dollar benefits in Argentina.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not sure what you mean?
Why would you pay me more (say) 15 pesos for a pound note on the 'street' rather than pay (say) 10 pesos for a pound note at the local bank?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The margin between the street value of ARS-USD and official value of ARS-USD

is larger than

the margin between the street value of ARS-GBP and the official value of ARS-GBP.

I'd exchange my GBP for USD before I head to Argentina again, if interested in seeking the blue dollar benefits in Argentina.
Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:24 pm

Why would you pay me more (say) 15 pesos for a pound note on the 'street' rather than pay (say) 10 pesos for a pound note at the local bank?
Basically because I can't do as you say. There are strict limits on the amount of foreign currency you can purchase here. We're allowed to buy a certain amount of dollars through the bank once a month....all linked to how much tax you've paid.That's why the Blue market exists. Plus any foreign transaction using a credit card attracts a 35% tax.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Basically because I can't do as you say. There are strict limits on the amount of foreign currency you can purchase here. We're allowed to buy a certain amount of dollars through the bank once a month....all linked to how much tax you've paid.That's why the Blue market exists. Plus any foreign transaction using a credit card attracts a 35% tax.
Oh well. As long as my steak and Malbec are nice and cheap

Seriously, that sounds a complete disaster.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

No, that would be Venezuela. The disaster isn't complete in La Argentina, and hopefully never will be.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:03 am

Oh well. As long as my steak and Malbec are nice and cheap

A nuisance more than anything else. To be honest there are things going on that are far more annoying like the impounding of personal packages sent from abroad. My sister sent me something for Christmas from the UK and I'm still waiting to receive it.....doubt I ever will.
Anyway, nowt for the tourist to worry about. You'll have a great time.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
No, that would be Venezuela. The disaster isn't complete in La Argentina, and hopefully never will be.
Amen to that.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:47 pm
Suspended

(not travel related)

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Apr 13, 2015 at 2:23 pm Reason: not travel related
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:14 pm
Suspended

On my last day in Santiago, I decided to exchange my last Chilean Pesos for Argentinian Pesos at AFEX Catedral. The buy rate was 54. The quoted sell rate for dollars was 615.
So, that makes for a "blue rate" of 615/54=11.39. Not bad considering the blue rate in BA is about 12.40 at this time.
At the airport, the buy rate was 59 + $1.50 comission.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
So I foolishly over budgeted and now have ~3000-3500 extra pesos. Am in Iguazu now, about to head back to BA, and head back to the states tomorrow afternoon. If anyone is around and looking to buy, I'd be happy to part with them for slightly better than blue. PM me if interested.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
So I foolishly over budgeted and now have ~3000-3500 extra pesos. Am in Iguazu now, about to head back to BA, and head back to the states tomorrow afternoon. If anyone is around and looking to buy, I'd be happy to part with them for slightly better than blue. PM me if interested.
Go on a shopping spree?
As a side note, I got the business card from the "Jewels" place on Arenales. Has the address and other info on it. I could scan it and post it on FT, or if this thread is monitored by secret Argentine police, you can PM me and I give you the address.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:15 pm

Was in the Recoleta area and the Jewelry place was closed (Saturday afternoon), found a Loteria store next to the cemetery on Guido and Junin that had OK rates.
Old May 6, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
hey all,
Going to be in AR next week. Arriving Sunday, would be great to exchange already that day. If not possible Monday is fine. Staying at the PH. If someone can PM with info of best/nearest place I would be much obliged. Looking to exchange around 1K US.
Thanks!
Old May 6, 2015, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jlisi984
hey all,
Going to be in AR next week. Arriving Sunday, would be great to exchange already that day. If not possible Monday is fine. Staying at the PH. If someone can PM with info of best/nearest place I would be much obliged. Looking to exchange around 1K US.
Thanks!
"Jewels" on Arenales.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.