Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by allanfan
I've a separate but related question. I'm going to BA in about 2 months. If I bring back to the States some "extra" peso, can I exchange them back to dollar at the official rate?
No. If that were possible you'd be seeing a huge flood of pesos into the US.

And I doubt you can change them at the "blue" rate either, in the US. I suspect Argentine pesos are worthless in the US.

You CAN change Argentine pesos into Chilean pesos (which are fully convertible into dollars or Euros or whatever) in Santiago, Chile, at something close to the "blue" rate. But I'm certain that the official exchange rate is meaningless outside of Argentina.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
But I'm certain that the official exchange rate is meaningless outside of Argentina.
There are some places in London which are buying AR$ at the official rate (plus their margin of course) and I've brought a wad of pesos back to change a couple of times. The place I normally use is currently offering AR$16.99/£
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:24 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
And I doubt you can change them at the "blue" rate either, in the US. I suspect Argentine pesos are worthless in the US.
Well yes... but, NO.

In reality, this depends on where you are in the US and who you know. Its fair to say that for the average FTer, AR$ currency in the US is going to be pretty much worthless.

However, in locations like MIA or LAX, if you know the right people in the Argentine community you will be able to trade AR$ currency at rates that are comparable to the current Blue Market rate plus the appropriate spread for the fact that you are placing the trade in another Hemisphere. The spread will vary depending on how unstable/volatile the Blue rate is trading in Buenos Aires.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
However, in locations like MIA or LAX, if you know the right people in the Argentine community you will be able to trade AR$ currency at rates that are comparable to the current Blue Market rate plus the appropriate spread for the fact that you are placing the trade in another Hemisphere. ...
Ah. Argentine expat vultures. Got it!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Went to Calle Florida to exchange some AR$ today at lunch. No one saying "cambio". Walked a few blocks and didn't hear anything. Is there a major crackdown in force?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:17 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Dude! They saw you coming! They don't want to buy pesos; they want to buy dollars!!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by spainflyer
Dude! They saw you coming! They don't want to buy pesos; they want to buy dollars!!
Haha my bad. US$ for AR$. This morning, I was able to exchange. Not at a great rate, but anything is better than 8.5 and ATM fees.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Yes, the rate has dropped over the past couple of days -- from about 15.70 to 14.60. What this indicates, I don't know, but certainly it is not the overall strength of the Argentine economy. On the other hand, the MerVal is very strong.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by spainflyer
Yes, the rate has dropped over the past couple of days -- from about 15.70 to 14.60. What this indicates, I don't know, but certainly it is not the overall strength of the Argentine economy. On the other hand, the MerVal is very strong.
Places that were giving us 14.60 or so closer to the start of the week were giving us 14.20 today. Not a big difference to us, as we are running this mainly to rack up points/miles on the cheap by paying in ARS cash for hotel stays that would otherwise still take place.

When should we expect a higher denomination ARS note to take the place of the 100 ARS note?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 6:33 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by GUWonder
When should we expect a higher denomination ARS note to take the place of the 100 ARS note?
The need for AR$200, AR$500 and AR$1000 notes is long overdo, but it seems unlikely that the CFK regime will introduce these notes during the current term of government as this would be seen by most as a clear acknowledgment of the rampant level of inflation.... the logistics of transporting cash in AR$100 bills has gotten silly.... still, few think that anything will happen until the K-Gang leaves the Pink House.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA/AA
From Slate Magazine:

The Cash Hustlers of Buenos Aires
Getting your dollars in Argentina is now as easy as ordering a pizza.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...ill_bring.html
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by britenbsas
There are some places in London which are buying AR$ at the official rate (plus their margin of course) and I've brought a wad of pesos back to change a couple of times. The place I normally use is currently offering AR$16.99/£
I've got a wad of AR$ I would like to exchange into GBP and would like to reverse my blue dollar exchange. Any suggestions on where to look in London.

Anyone else using the blue dollar exchanges to rack up hotel or airline points? Accor, for example, has some interesting promos running now and tying that up with settling ARS-denominated bills with blue-dollar-exchanged ARS can help make trips to Argentina even more of a bargain for as long as this dual exchange system is maintained.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I've got a wad of AR$ I would like to exchange into GBP and would like to reverse my blue dollar exchange. Any suggestions on where to look in London.
I've used Best Foreign Exchange several times - they have branches in Victoria, Liverpool Street, Cannon Street, the Strand and Hammersmith.

http://www.bestforeignexchange.com/E...ange-rates.php

Whether they buy AR$ depends on the day - sometimes they do, sometimes they don't! It's not consistent enough for me to want to risk exchanging $ or £ when I'm in Argentina and bringing the AR$ back to London with the aim of making a profit.

I have a friend arriving from Argentina tomorrow with a wad of AR$ and called them today to check - they confirmed they are currently buying at a rate of AR$16.99/£ which is way better than the AR$23/£ currently being offered in the cuevas. Normally the exchange rate shown on their website drops to zero to indicate when they aren't buying.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How easily/well do Euros (rather than USD) trade in the cuevas? Will I take a significant hit in exchange rate terms in selling euros rather than US dollars and would I be better off changing my euros to US dollars and take these to Argentina instead?

My exchanging euros to dollars first here will typically entail an additional 2.5-3% hit in terms of exchange rate loss so if the "premium" to be paid in spreads for EUR/ARS rather than USD/ARS is not more than 1 or 2%, I would probably be better off taking euros. If the premium to be paid is more (or if it is significantly more hassle to find a cueva accepting euros), then the double conversion EUR>USD>ARS would still be worth it.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by NickB
How easily/well do Euros (rather than USD) trade in the cuevas? Will I take a significant hit in exchange rate terms in selling euros rather than US dollars and would I be better off changing my euros to US dollars and take these to Argentina instead?

My exchanging euros to dollars first here will typically entail an additional 2.5-3% hit in terms of exchange rate loss so if the "premium" to be paid in spreads for EUR/ARS rather than USD/ARS is not more than 1 or 2%, I would probably be better off taking euros. If the premium to be paid is more (or if it is significantly more hassle to find a cueva accepting euros), then the double conversion EUR>USD>ARS would still be worth it.
You won't have any problems whatsoever in changing them but will definitely take a hit in the exchange rate. I changed GBP300 last week @ 19.1 = ARS5730. Had I changed the GBP into USD in the UK before arriving in Argentina, I'd have had USD465 which would have given me ARS6230 so about a 500 peso hit.

If changing larger quantities it will probably be worthwhile changing to dollars first depending on the relative exchange rates at the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.