Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Argentina
Reload this Page >

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where/how to get dolar blue exchange rate?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
The official rate is 9.08. Is it really worth the risk to try to get this "dolar blue exchange rate" if it's not that significant?
I would say the risks are in proportion to the rate you are willing to accept. Personally I think it's a bit silly to squeeze as much value out of your $ with the extra risks involved. You're on holiday, it's not worth worrying about these things just for the sake of a few extra pesos. Use a reliable outlet that is permanently there rather than do business with someone up a back alley.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I would say the risks are in proportion to the rate you are willing to accept. Personally I think it's a bit silly to squeeze as much value out of your $ with the extra risks involved. You're on holiday, it's not worth worrying about these things just for the sake of a few extra pesos. Use a reliable outlet that is permanently there rather than do business with someone up a back alley.
I agree. If the difference is 9 versus 13, that's almost 50% but I would expect to get somewhat less when using a "safe" exchange method.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree. If the difference is 9 versus 13, that's almost 50% but I would expect to get somewhat less when using a "safe" exchange method.
I hear your point. What mode do you consider "safe"? Kindly explain for all of us to know. Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Rates are edging up again 13.6 today on @Dolor Blue (Twitter)
Back to 13.6 today.. Safe travels to all..

Here is a link to several good reads (lanacion) if your interested in the Exchange situation in Bs As..

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/dolar-hoy-t1369

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jul 1, 2015 at 11:03 am
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:43 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Back to 13.6 today..
[/url]
Its important to note that the rate that is always quoted is the SELL rate for Dollars. For those of you, like most visitors, that will be transacting the rate that is of interest is the BUY rate, which will be less than the quoted Sell rate. The actual spread (difference between BUY and SELL rates) will depend on where you trade, amount of your trade, bill denomination, condition of the bills, etc. etc.

And as with all markets, remember that rates can go up and down every day and of course also during the same trading day.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Excellent post and overall assessment. I agree 100% ^ ^
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Its important to note that the rate that is always quoted is the SELL rate for Dollars. For those of you, like most visitors, that will be transacting the rate that is of interest is the BUY rate, which will be less than the quoted Sell rate. The actual spread (difference between BUY and SELL rates) will depend on where you trade, amount of your trade, bill denomination, condition of the bills, etc. etc.

And as with all markets, remember that rates can go up and down every day and of course also during the same trading day.
Yes, I agree that the rates I am posting are the Sell Rates. However, in my experience the BUY rates are normally .10-.15 centavos less. As long as you use $100 US Bills in Good Condition. I think they post the SELL rate as the Rates they post are intended for Argentina Citizens whom have a Thirst for USD. The link that I had posted (lanacion) had clearly showed the spreads, as with any Newspaper in Bs As, and ANY Currency Exchange will always have BOTH Rates Posted. Its the norm. Yes the Arbolitios do not post, so I will agree on that point. Its just not that difficult.. Thanks and Safe Travels

Take note of the below from (dolarblue.net) that shows the T5 for Informal/Street (Cambios, Compa Oro Shops) its .10 less than the quoted.. and note the T3 and T4 for the difference in rates above and below $5,000 in trade. Its very transparent to me..

* EL PRECIO ARRIBA PUBLICADO ES EL PRECIO MÍNIMO DE TIER (T) 1 Ó MARKET MAKER
* T2 Ó INTERMEDIARIO = T1+0,04
* T3 U OPERADOR MAYORISTA (+5000) = T2+0,02
* T4 U OPERADOR MINORISTA (-5000) = T3+0,05
* T5 Ó PRECIO DE CALLE = T4+0,10

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jul 2, 2015 at 8:39 am
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The spread between XOOM and Blue is the smallest I've seen in awhile. Of course, this timely information is subject to self destruct and be wholly inaccurate in ten ... nine ... eight ... seven .................
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The spread between XOOM and Blue is the smallest I've seen in awhile. Of course, this timely information is subject to self destruct and be wholly inaccurate in ten ... nine ... eight ... seven .................
Yes, on days that are more volatile Xoom can adjust rates 3 or 4 times during the trading day.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:27 am

No trading today for the Blue Rate, large scale regulatory/police controls in most of the Financial District. Spreads are huge today, not a good day to place a trade.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
fyi, XOOM was just bought by PayPal. Shouldn't change things in the near term, but I'd imagine rates would worsen over time as Paypal tries to eke out every penny of profit.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
fyi, XOOM was just bought by PayPal. Shouldn't change things in the near term, but I'd imagine rates would worsen over time as Paypal tries to eke out every penny of profit.
Thanks for posting this.... ^ ^ It will indeed be interesting to see what happens with the Spreads.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
What do you mean by XOOM was bought by Paypal?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by MDFFlyer
What do you mean by XOOM was bought by Paypal?
Here is a link with a related story:
http://www.google.com.ar/url?sa=t&rc...96952980,d.eXY
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Got 13 in Jewerly today. To be frank I suspect I could have got more for my pristine $100 bills especially as I asked the cambios on Florida and they offered me 13.2 as an initial number.

13 is a great rate. Now my flabber is gasted that football shirts are anything from 850 to 1200 pesos. What are they thinking!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.