Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008, 4:47 pm

Refunds or exchanges on promo fare ?

First of all, many thanks to ByeByeDelta and everyone else who has contributed wisdom to this thread. It is much appreciated.

When I price a ticket on the Cascades using the V777 promo it comes back with the following message;
"Please note that the use of a promotion code may affect your ability to get a refund or exchange your ticket. Please review promotional materials for details".

But I can't find any reference to this specific promo on the Amtrak website.

Am I safe in assuming that the terms would be similar to the Winter Sale Fare previously discussed, tickets non-refundable but exchangeable ? Or ???

Also, would using the V777 code to purchase the ticket cause any problems with the current AGR bonus miles offer for trips on the Cascades ?
Old Feb 16, 2008, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

For the benefit of overseas visitors to the U.S., discounted unlimited travel passes, valid for coach travel in Amtrak's Northeast region, are available at www.usbyrail.com. In order to take advantage of this offer, one must have a passport issued by some country other than the U.S.A. and Canada.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 6:08 am

Anyone know of ANY discounts for the Pacific Surfliner? (days, times, etc not important)
Old Feb 19, 2008, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Hi, r ur pets fixed! If there is a code we know about, it is going to be in the first post of this thread. Scroll down a little and look in under the Southwestern Routes section. Currently we do not have anything for the Pacific Surfliners except for the active and reserve Military discount.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:56 am

Code V256 Wilm to NYP (roundtrip)

I tried using this code this morning and was told that it is only good for trains "to" Wilmington, not "from". The code states to/from. Also, are these discounts limited to a certain number of seats and times? Because the return time I wanted from NYP was full for this discount.

Last edited by carmel98; Feb 19, 2008 at 11:29 am
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:15 am

Coast Starlight Codes?

I believe someone asked about this earlier but just wondering if anyone had an update on if there were any coast starlight codes available? Ill probably be traveling in between may 26 and june 6. I unfortunately do not have AAA and do not fit into anyother category so there seems to be no discounts available!
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: AGR
AAA discount - only at station

Originally Posted by tofoo
How would I go about using this discount?
I booked this discount for a trip in January and the code was H744. But the only way it seemed to work was at a staffed station. AAA card a must have.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by r ur pets fixed
Anyone know of ANY discounts for the Pacific Surfliner? (days, times, etc not important)
H752: Save 20% on Pacific Surfliner and San Joaquins routes (and associated thruway coaches)
Expiration: Book by December 8, 2008. Travel by December 11, 2008.
Restrictions: Three day advance purchase required.

This offer is good for travel from January 3, 2008 through December 11, 2008 on the Pacific Surfliner or San Joaquin (and associated thruway coaches) to/from all nine Amtrak stations in Santa Barbara County: Santa Barbara, Goleta, Carpinteria, Solvang, Buellton, Lompoc, Surf, Guadalupe and Santa Maria.

Discount is NOT available for travel in the holiday periods listed here: 15Feb08, 18Feb08, 21Mar08, 24Mar08, 29Aug08, 01Sep08, 25-26Nov08, 29-30Nov08, 01Dec08.

http://www.santabarbaracarfree.org/traindiscount.htm
Old Feb 19, 2008, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by shakeitkatie
I believe someone asked about this earlier but just wondering if anyone had an update on if there were any coast starlight codes available? Ill probably be traveling in between may 26 and june 6. I unfortunately do not have AAA and do not fit into anyother category so there seems to be no discounts available!
If there's not one listed in post #1, then there are none that we know about.

Just FYI: there is talk of the Coast Starlight being suspended as late as June due to the mudslide in Oregon, so be careful if you're booking a trip that you're depending on (Amtrak will likely not provide alternate transportation for you if it's still suspended, leaving you with the option to either not go or to buy an airline ticket at a last-minute walk-up fare). Unless things change, they will still be running the stub train between Los Angeles and Sacramento, but all stops north of Sacramento would be inaccessible.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 8:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amtrak Rewards, MBNA points
Providence - Huntingdon, PA via the Pensylvanian

My wife and I are going to Huntingdon,PA (HGD) from Providence, RI (PVD) during the week of Easter. What might be the best codes to get there. Last year we went during the spring and got a companion fare for free ($134 round trip, which is what is costs us in gas if we drive).

It is $268 round trip.

I know that AAA gives 10% off, and I have seen the RI 20% (is that to or from RI? And is that a phone reservation?).

Is there anyway to work with the 50% off to Philly? Is that to and from Philly? And is that a phone reservation also?

Peace,

lpii
Old Feb 20, 2008, 2:33 pm

Looking for Empire Builder Codes

We are traveling with three adults and four children and are looking to visit my Aunt and Uncle in Washington in June or July 2008 - I haven't been able to use any of the codes I found on the forum - any suggestions - thank you
Old Feb 20, 2008, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
If there is a code we know about, it is going to be in the first post of this thread.
ooops! many apologies! It looks like I need to follow the old "When all else fails, read the instructions!". And that first post has a LOT of info in it, beautifully organized.^^^

Thank you for the link that andeesue posted in #11, and softspokenRob posted above. The area included in the 20% discount is IMHO the most scenic of the entire route.

Last edited by r ur pets fixed; Feb 20, 2008 at 8:37 pm Reason: grammar
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by lpii
My wife and I are going to Huntingdon,PA (HGD) from Providence, RI (PVD) during the week of Easter. What might be the best codes to get there. Last year we went during the spring and got a companion fare for free ($134 round trip, which is what is costs us in gas if we drive).

It is $268 round trip.

I know that AAA gives 10% off, and I have seen the RI 20% (is that to or from RI? And is that a phone reservation?).

Is there anyway to work with the 50% off to Philly? Is that to and from Philly? And is that a phone reservation also?
Welcome to FT lpii!

Yes, about V731 on both counts. It is good for either going to or from RI. (I live in RI and use it for going! ) And it must be by phone. (However, it can only - I think - be used to PHL, as there is no direct routing to HGD from RI!)

As far as V454, I don't know if there is a phone requirement. But since it is to/from PHL, you should make 1 res as PVD-PHL or KIN-PHL or WLY-PHL (whichever you need) and another PHL-HGD to qualify for the 50%!
Old Feb 20, 2008, 9:14 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by shimkets
We are traveling with three adults and four children and are looking to visit my Aunt and Uncle in Washington in June or July 2008 - I haven't been able to use any of the codes I found on the forum - any suggestions - thank you
I don't know of any codes, but where are you starting from?

Your title says "Empire Builder". You may want to keep your eyes on the "weekly specials" on amtrak.com, as I have seen #7/27 and #8/28 listed quite often. (NOTE: This "weekly special" fare will normally only be to/from CHI on these trains. I have not seen #29 or #30 listed for a long time.)
Old Feb 21, 2008, 4:21 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
To the OP - Beautiful post! Thank you!!

Romelle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.