Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2008, 6:45 pm
ALW

Thanks for the advice. I just booked the trip on Saturday. Nice human agent told me the ticket is fully refundable until issued, even with the code. I'll pick it up when I get to NYP. $49 ticket became $39.20. Didn't bother with Business Class because I probably won't take my computer (though it will be difficult not to -- if I decide in the next hour that I _have_ to take my computer, is it worth changing my reservation? I assume the $19 upcharge isn't discounted, but would the discount still apply to base fare?

=aw
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by ALW
Thanks for the advice. I just booked the trip on Saturday. Nice human agent told me the ticket is fully refundable until issued, even with the code. I'll pick it up when I get to NYP. $49 ticket became $39.20. Didn't bother with Business Class because I probably won't take my computer (though it will be difficult not to -- if I decide in the next hour that I _have_ to take my computer, is it worth changing my reservation? I assume the $19 upcharge isn't discounted, but would the discount still apply to base fare?

=aw
If you decide quickly, then yes the discount will still apply to the base fare. It will never help you regarding the upcharge for the better seat though. However if you miss the 3 day window, or if a few more seats have been sold that kick the bucket on the base fare, then you will get charged more for the base seat in addition to the upcharge for the Business Class seat.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:36 pm
ALW

As I recall from my last trip, the only benefit of Business Class is power at the seat? No more space, better service, or anything?

Thanks!
=aw
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:43 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by ALW
As I recall from my last trip, the only benefit of Business Class is power at the seat? No more space, better service, or anything?

Thanks!
=aw
No, on that run you should get the Club-Dinette car as a Business Class car. This special car has 2 & 1 faux leather seating, as well as the cafe car. So you should have a nice roomy seat with both foot rest and calf rest, power outlet, and a free non-alcoholic drink from the cafe car.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 8:10 pm
ALW

Ya talked me into it.

I checked the website while on hold, they were still offering the $49 fare and still offering the upgrade (earlier trains no upgrade). Total $58.20, it adds up but I had to see this. Have to start carrying my camera (left it at home).

Thanks again for the info, and the rapidity thereof.

=aw
Old Mar 13, 2008, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by ALW
Ya talked me into it.

I checked the website while on hold, they were still offering the $49 fare and still offering the upgrade (earlier trains no upgrade). Total $58.20, it adds up but I had to see this. Have to start carrying my camera (left it at home).

Thanks again for the info, and the rapidity thereof.

=aw
By the way, there is an Amtrak ticket office and Quik-Trak machine at the Princeton Junction train station, so if you have time, and the office is open (or Quik-Trak machine is accessible), you can print your Amtrak tickets there, while waiting for your NJ Transit train to Manhattan.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 5:54 am
ALW

Thanks, I wondered about doing that (knowing Princeton Junction is an Amtrak stop).

While it would save me some trouble at NYP, and could be helpful if my NJT train is very late, OTOH if my NJT train is extremely late, it would mean I've issued the ticket and missed the ALB train. It should be safe to do but I'm wondering which is the better balance.

=aw
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ALW
Thanks, I wondered about doing that (knowing Princeton Junction is an Amtrak stop).

While it would save me some trouble at NYP, and could be helpful if my NJT train is very late, OTOH if my NJT train is extremely late, it would mean I've issued the ticket and missed the ALB train. It should be safe to do but I'm wondering which is the better balance.

=aw
It really depends on what you would do if you miss the 9:45 AM Amtrak train to Albany. If your plan is to just turn around and go back to Princeton, then yes, you might want to wait to pick up your Amtrak tickets. On the other hand, if your plan is to take the next Amtrak train to Albany, and pay the non-discounted fare, then there is no financial downside. Although you can only obtain a refund of 90% of the value of a printed Amtrak ticket, you can apply 100% of the value of a printed Amtrak ticket to another Amtrak ticket. The only (non-financial) downside is that you would have to go to a staffed Amtrak window, not a Quik-Trak machine, to exchange the ticket and pay the additional fare.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My apologies in advance for not taking the time to read this entire thread & look at all the codes - but just wanted to give everyone a heads up to the codes published in Frommmers...

http://www.frommers.com/deals/car_bu...s%20for%202008
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
My apologies in advance for not taking the time to read this entire thread & look at all the codes - but just wanted to give everyone a heads up to the codes published in Frommmers...

http://www.frommers.com/deals/car_bu...s%20for%202008
The nice thing about this thread is that you don't have to read the whole thing--ByeByeDelta adds any codes mentioned throughout the thread to his original post. That's the only one you need to look at!

However, a link to Sascha Segan's (who has been known to post on FT from time to time!) Frommers column is always a welcome addition!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:57 pm
ALW

No, on that run you should get the Club-Dinette car as a Business Class car. This special car has 2 & 1 faux leather seating, as well as the cafe car. So you should have a nice roomy seat with both foot rest and calf rest, power outlet, and a free non-alcoholic drink from the cafe car.
"Should" is the operative word. Unfortunately on Saturday's train, the power outlets in the Business half of the car were dead. They worked at the booths in the cafe portion, which is a better place for serious work but not as comfortable as sitting back and scrolling through emails or Word docs (not that I found the seats that comfortable, I kept sliding down). I think I could have sat there as a Coach passenger?

In addition, there's no service when the train ends at ALB. So the cafe was unattended (though both coffee machines were turned on, for the crew I guess).

However it was an interesting experience and one I'll probably be repeating.

One more question, let's call it hypothetical, if one had a ticket for a train, paid for but not issued, and forgot about it (didn't cancel), would the payment be refundable, or is it gone? If refundable, would the ticket automatically be refunded or would a phone call be required? I'm calling this strictly hypothetical, as I said.

Thanks!
=aw
Old Mar 17, 2008, 7:56 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by ALW
"Should" is the operative word. Unfortunately on Saturday's train, the power outlets in the Business half of the car were dead. They worked at the booths in the cafe portion, which is a better place for serious work but not as comfortable as sitting back and scrolling through emails or Word docs (not that I found the seats that comfortable, I kept sliding down). I think I could have sat there as a Coach passenger?
Yes, generally the tables are open to any passenger on the train. Sorry to hear that the power was out, but that does happen unfortunately. These are 30+ year old cars.

Originally Posted by ALW
In addition, there's no service when the train ends at ALB. So the cafe was unattended (though both coffee machines were turned on, for the crew I guess).
Did you switch trains from your original choice? Because the 9:45 AM out of NY is a through train to Niagara Falls, NY.

Originally Posted by ALW
One more question, let's call it hypothetical, if one had a ticket for a train, paid for but not issued, and forgot about it (didn't cancel), would the payment be refundable, or is it gone? If refundable, would the ticket automatically be refunded or would a phone call be required? I'm calling this strictly hypothetical, as I said.

I've never done that, but other's have reported that as long as you deal with the issue within 3 days, you will get a refund. Dealing with it means either a phone call to Amtrak or a visit with an agent at a station. If you do nothing, then you will get to wave bye-bye to your money.

Note: If you have upgraded accomodations, then the rules are different. For example a First class seat on Acela must be cancelled at least 1 hour prior to departure. If you don't do that, then you will forfit the upgrade charge. You'd still be able to get the base fare back, but the upgrade charge is gone.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 8:20 pm

Programs: Amtrak AGR
Discount codes for City of N'Orleans

Wifey wants to go to NOLA in May - I figure on driving from St Louis to Effingham and catching the CONO there - but I'm always looking to save a $ or two - can you help?

Also anyone know about the parking at EFG?

thanks
Old Mar 17, 2008, 8:34 pm
ALW

Thanks Alan,

According to a very nice hypothetical agent, all one has to do is call and they credit the credit card for the full price (including upgrade to Business Class) which takes 3-10 business days. That's based on the ticket not being picked up, of course. Don't know if it's the same as VIA, but I assume at some point if the ticket isn't issued and the train is full, they sell the seat to someone else. However I don't know that.

Yes, I had to change to 11:45am on Saturday to allow for time from Princeton Junction. It was no great loss but if this is the train I end up on next time, I might just book Coach and head for the Cafe (can I park myself at a booth before the train leaves?).

=aw
Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:38 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by RRrich
Also anyone know about the parking at EFG?
In 2004 the paved parking lot was fairly small and nearly full when we left and arrived on the City. In 2006 it had been expanded. With more passengers in IL the expanded parking lot may be near full now too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.