Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2008, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just got a card in the mail for a buy 6 o/w or 3 r/t on Acela and get one r/t free. You have to travel between 1/15 and 3/15 and the freebie will be issued as 2x o/w certs valid from June 1 - August 31, with August 29 blacked out for reward travel.

Minimum price for qualifying trip is $80 o/w or $160 r/t.

Register at www.amtrakguestrewards.com/11608 or call 800.307.5000, x2 and code 11608.

Enjoy.

Last edited by sbm12; Jan 31, 2008 at 4:10 pm
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AGR, DL tin-foil (FO)
V851 is good for 20% off the Heartland Flyer through Dec 7, 2008.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 2:23 pm

Southern Crescent #19 & #20 Discount Codes ??

I am travelling on Thursday, May 29th, to Birmingham, AL from NY Penn Station with my wife and two children( 4 & 7) and returning with a departure on Sunday, June 1st. Since I have to travel mobility impaired(disabled vet), I got the Handicapped Sleeper both ways with a fare of $1014. Can anyone suggest codes I might use to decreae my fare. On rail fare only, I am getting 15% off for myself and my wife and the kids are 50% off. Railfare alone each way is $337 and the room charge is $170 each way for a total of $1014 after discounts.

Does anyone have suggestion for further discounts. Thanks.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 5:35 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Welcome to posting, AAP3RD! (I see you've been a member over 1 year with no posts!)

I don't know of any other promo codes right now, but the 15% is as good as many of the discounts get! (Sure there may be a 20% or 25% discount, but if the price rises above what it is now, it may cost more!) And with a sleeper, you get the lowest bucket fare for coach anyway.

BTW - Sleepers are almost never discounted anyway. There was a discount last year, but before that it was something like 6 or 7 years since the last discount on sleepers!
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:27 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
Northeast Discounts

Picked up a copy of Arrive on a recent trip and the Up To Speed section mentions a number of codes that aren't listed here. All are subject to the usual blackout dates and three-day advance purchase is required.

To Philadelphia: V759 gives 20 percent off the best available full fare for travel between Feb. 28 and March 11.

To Newark: V863 gives 50 percent off the best available fare for one companion in coach with the purchase of one regular (full) fare. Purchase by Dec. 10, 2008; Travel by Dec. 13.

To Baltimore: V828 gives 50 percent off the best available fare for one companion in coach with the purchase of one regular (full) fare. Purchase by Dec. 10, 2008; Travel by Dec. 13.

To Annapolis: V722 gives 50 percent off the best available fare to BWI Airport Rail Station for one companion in coach with the purchase of one regular (full) fare. (You have to get from BWI to Annapolis on your own.) Purchase by Dec. 10, 2008; Travel by Dec. 13.

To Wilmington: V256 gives 50 percent off the best available fare for one companion in coach with the purchase of one regular (full) fare. Purchase by Dec. 10, 2008; Travel by Dec. 13.

To Rhode Island: V731 gives 20 percent off the best available full coach fare for travel to Westerly, Kingston or Providence on reserved regional trains (Mass-D.C.). Purchase by Dec. 9; Travel by Dec. 12. Up to 2 children aged 2-15, may accompany each paid adult for half the discounted adult fare.

To Vermont: V209 gives 20 percent off the best available full fare for travel on the Vermonter or Ethan Allen services though Oct. 31. Purchase by Oct. 28. Up to 2 children aged 2-15, may accompany each paid adult for half the discounted adult fare.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: MP 2P, AGR, AA, SW RR, WP, VX - what status?
Hi Pelforth,

Thanks for the codes. Do we know if they have to be booked over the phone? I tried the one for Philadelphia, V759 and it says:

Problem With Promotional Fare: The promotional fare you requested cannot be booked online, so we have provided a non-promotional fare.

Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by fkl3
Do we know if they have to be booked over the phone? I tried the one for Philadelphia, V759 and it says:

Problem With Promotional Fare: The promotional fare you requested cannot be booked online, so we have provided a non-promotional fare.
I know V731 has to be booked over the phone. Maybe some, or all of them, must also!

Also, be sure you're requesting an ADULT fare with them. Another fare requested (like AAA) with most promo codes will give you that error code too!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 3:29 pm

Talking More Codes

My husband is always mystified how I save money on travel. I owe this forum a lot of credit for my "secret codes"!
Here is some payback:

A different philly code that can be booked online!

Philadelphia: V454 (not stackable with AAA)

50% percent off the best available rail fare for one companion traveling with a paid regular (full) adult, senior citizen or disabled discounted rail fare ticket on Amtrak travel to Philadelphia, PA. Request discount code V454 when you book online at Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL.

Valid for travel through December 10, 2008. Reservations must be made at least three (3) days in advance of travel. The discount is valid for travel in the Northeast Corridor on Regional trains. Travel on Acela Express is prohibited. Other restrictions may apply.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 3:33 pm

V759

V 759 must be booked over the phone (as do the others) V454 (also to Philly) may be booked online.

Travel Amtrak to Philadelphia and Save 50%

50% percent off the best available rail fare for one companion traveling with a paid regular (full) adult, senior citizen or disabled discounted rail fare ticket on Amtrak travel to Philadelphia, PA. Request discount code V454 when you book online at Amtrak.com or call 1-800-USA-RAIL.

Valid for travel through December 10, 2008. Reservations must be made at least three (3) days in advance of travel. The discount is valid for travel in the Northeast Corridor on Regional trains. Travel on Acela Express is prohibited. Other restrictions may apply.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 9:39 pm

Question Orlando????

Does anyone have any codes for discounts on trains going from Washington DC to Orlando FL that can be used this summer?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 3:04 pm

I tried to book one of the v856 to/from Boston 20% off fares, and they are heavily capacity-controlled in addition to being 3-day advance purchase. The only fares I could get to New York were at extreme off-peak hours, like 3:00 AM departures.

I decided to book with a AAA discount instead, and got an error when I tried to use that discount. I looked at the fine print, and it says that AAA is not valid on weekday Acela Express trains. Is this new? It's been a while since I've been on Amtrak, but I don't remember that condition.

Originally Posted by the_traveler
I know V731 has to be booked over the phone. Maybe some, or all of them, must also!

Also, be sure you're requesting an ADULT fare with them. Another fare requested (like AAA) with most promo codes will give you that error code too!
Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by TRSTACIE
To stimulate travel on long distance-trains,
Amtrak is introducing a new 50 percent off
one companion rail fare for AAA members.A
minimum
three-day
advance reservation
is
required and
must contain a
current valid
AAA membership
number;
the AAA membership card must be presented
at the time of ticketing and on board the train.
The promotion continues through Feb. 29,
2008 and is valid for travel from Jan. 7, 2008
through March 13, 2008.
The offer is valid on the following Amtrak
services:

Ann Rutledge,Kansas City/St. Louis Mules,Crescent, Pennsylvanian,Cardinal, San Joaquins
City of New Orleans, Lincoln Service, Auto Train, Lake Shore Limited,
Capitol Limited, Pere Marquette, Carolinian, Silver Service,
Ethan Allen Express, Vermonter, Blue Water, Maple Leaf,
Capitols, Piedmont, Amtrak Cascades, Southwest Chief,
Illinois Zephyr, Wolverine
How would I go about using this discount?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by panicked
I decided to book with a AAA discount instead, and got an error when I tried to use that discount. I looked at the fine print, and it says that AAA is not valid on weekday Acela Express trains. Is this new? It's been a while since I've been on Amtrak, but I don't remember that condition.
I'm not sure how long it's been, but I think the AAA fare was never on the AE or (when they ran) Metroliners. Recently, I learned the AAA discount is valid for weekend AE departures, but not weekday departures.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:05 pm

Thumbs down Discounts on Pennsylvanian?

Are there ever any discounts, other than AAA, on the Pennsylvanian from Pittsburgh to New York and back? Years ago I used to be able to get a "Hot Deal" before they discontinued the Broadway Limited, but I haven't seen a discount in a long, long time. Am I not looking in all the right places? Thanks,

MM
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:30 am

Welcome to FT, callmar!

I don't know of any right now, but if you keep an eye on post #1 of this thread, you can see all (or most) of the discounts that we are aware of.

I agree with you about the weekly specials. For awhile now, the same trains are listed every week - and most are 3xx series trains, which are short runs into and out of Chicago. (The only main exception is #7/8 and or 27/28, which is listed quite often.) But very seldom - and not for a long time - are others listed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.