Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:27 am

This might help reg if he goes thru LAX.(Edit - other places also)

Got an email today from AGR. No code given, but discount fares.

Here's the key points
Offer is valid for sale between January 8-21, 2008 and for travel January 14- March 31, 2008

Also, since it's not valid with other discounts, don't use them. I tried a reservation with a AAA discount; and it cost more.

Looking at the website, it's a Winter sale, not just LAX; guess that's personalized for me.

This increases my odds of going to spring training if I can figure out how to get from Maricopa to Phoenix in the middle of the night.

Last edited by Rumpled; Jan 9, 2008 at 12:41 am Reason: byebyedelta beat me to it
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: Peon in all
Note about the winter "sale"

NOWHERE (easily noticed by the "average" passenger - and us too ) is the passenger notified that the "sale fares" offered by Amtrak are NON-REFUNDABLE! But if you use something else (like AAA), it is refundable.

Just a warning to everyone. I'd hate for you to book this fare, find out later that you can not take the 3 PM train and have to take the 4 PM train, or that you can't leave on the 15th and must delay your trip to the 16th, and ONLY then find out you can not get a refund!

Amtrak should make this more apparent! Even if you request a fare from A to B and the "sale fare" is available, you may get it, but it is still non-refundable!
Old Jan 9, 2008, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Originally Posted by the_traveler
Just a warning to everyone. I'd hate for you to book this fare, find out later that you can not take the 3 PM train and have to take the 4 PM train, or that you can't leave on the 15th and must delay your trip to the 16th, and ONLY then find out you can not get a refund!
If you have to delay your trip to the 16th why not just exchange the ticket? While non-refundable the tickets are fully exchangeable for other train travel. You would pay a refund penalty on refundable tickets if you already had them in hand.

I agree Amtrak's website should display any restrictions before finalizing the purchase. Anyone who buys tickets after seeing the ad should be aware of the terms and conditions.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
If you have to delay your trip to the 16th why not just exchange the ticket? While non-refundable the tickets are fully exchangeable for other train travel. You would pay a refund penalty on refundable tickets if you already had them in hand.
Hmm...what would happen if you exchanged these tickets for other tickets that were refundable...and then canceled and attempted to refund those tickets?

Methinks ARROW might be dumb enough to allow this workaround...
Old Jan 9, 2008, 5:14 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by jackal
Hmm...what would happen if you exchanged these tickets for other tickets that were refundable...and then canceled and attempted to refund those tickets?

Methinks ARROW might be dumb enough to allow this workaround...
Arrow probably would be dumb enough, although I don't really like that word "dumb", it its heyday Arrow was state of the art and light years ahead of the airlines current systems.

However, I believe that the agent has a way to key into the system that the reissued ticket is non-refundable. So assuming that he/she is paying attention and following procedures, one still would be unable to get a refund.

Even if you did manage to get away with a refund, keep in mind that you'd still be loosing 10%, since the ticket has been printed.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by the_traveler
Note about the winter "sale"

NOWHERE (easily noticed by the "average" passenger - and us too ) is the passenger notified that the "sale fares" offered by Amtrak are NON-REFUNDABLE! But if you use something else (like AAA), it is refundable.
Actually, it's very visible. On the email I got it's point #6 under Terms and Conditions.
On the weblink in my email it's bulleted as the seventh item under Terms and Conditions.

Let's see if this link works
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...2Copy&ssid=224
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Rumpled
Actually, it's very visible. On the email I got it's point #6 under Terms and Conditions.
On the weblink in my email it's bulleted as the seventh item under Terms and Conditions.

Let's see if this link works
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...2Copy&ssid=224
The problem is that you don't have to go to hot deals and read the Terms and Conditions to get the price, searching from the front page gets you the same sale price, without indicating that its a sale or non-refundable ticket.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:29 am

Angry 50% off with AAA on Amtrak

When I called Amtrak on the buy one get a companion at 50% off fare with AAA, they were not very nice and told me that was a online offer and since there was no code would not honor it??! Any feedback on this?
Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: AGR
Me, too....

Originally Posted by Brendina
When I Called Aaa To Get The 50% Discount On Companion They Said There Was No Such Thing And That Was An Online Offer,not Through Them..the Agent Was Very Rude With Me...i Would Definately Like To Use This Special For My Trip In Feb. 2008..any Tips? Thanks
Trying to book a trip in SF bay area on Capitol Corridor and get this deal.
I have called AAA, Amtrak, and the Capitol Corridor and have not been able to get any feedback except a code that does not work online or on phone. Amtrak operator says that they (1-800-USA-RAIL) do not book Capitols by phone anymore and referred me to Capitol Corridor number. That operator said that I have to go to the station... This offer is listed in many AAA publications (no code) as well as an Amtrak Employee publication (no code). Any ideas???
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by capitalsfn
The problem is that you don't have to go to hot deals and read the Terms and Conditions to get the price, searching from the front page gets you the same sale price, without indicating that its a sale or non-refundable ticket.

Ah, now I see your point.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Brendina
When I called Amtrak on the buy one get a companion at 50% off fare with AAA, they were not very nice and told me that was a online offer and since there was no code would not honor it??! Any feedback on this?
Originally Posted by mbhstrack
Trying to book a trip in SF bay area on Capitol Corridor and get this deal.
I have called AAA, Amtrak, and the Capitol Corridor and have not been able to get any feedback except a code that does not work online or on phone. Amtrak operator says that they (1-800-USA-RAIL) do not book Capitols by phone anymore and referred me to Capitol Corridor number. That operator said that I have to go to the station... This offer is listed in many AAA publications (no code) as well as an Amtrak Employee publication (no code). Any ideas???
Welcome to FlyerTalk, guys! Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to this. Hopefully someone who knows more will be around within the next 24 hours. If not, reply back and I'll see what I can dig up on this. And if you figure out how to make it work, be sure to report back so we can add it to our collective knowledge here!
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: AGR
AAA offer still a mystery...

Originally Posted by jackal
Welcome to FlyerTalk, guys! Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to this. Hopefully someone who knows more will be around within the next 24 hours. If not, reply back and I'll see what I can dig up on this. And if you figure out how to make it work, be sure to report back so we can add it to our collective knowledge here!
If you check this link to Amtrak employee publication (AmtrakInk)the offer is listed on page 9.
http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/ink/AmtrakInk-122007.pdf

I spoke directly to an Amtrak employee yesterday and she could not explain any details. She was polite and we spoke for up to 10 minutes. She did give a code H744 but She then referred me to Capitol Corridor because that is the route I am trying to book and they would know about the discount. That was even less help. they could only give me schedule information and told me that I had to go to a station. No info on the code just the standard 10% AAA discount.
I also called my local AAA office and after several calls got a person who still could not explain why it appeared in their discount publication and had no idea how it could be redeemed. I found this same ad -word-for-word -in numerous regional AAA web ads.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:51 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus, Amtrak Rewards
Talking Empire Builder Discount

X546 - 15% off the Empire Builder
Traveling between Seattle and the Windy City? X546 is good for 15% off your journey. Discount cannot be booked online. Must call Amtrak or visit a station to book. Thanks saschasegan!

Has anyone tried to book this route yet and if so, is it valid for any stops from CHI to SEA or do you have travel the whole route?

My mom takes Amtrak all the time to GFK (she is from that area originally) so this would be a nice discount!

Mike P
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:13 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by petrohd
X546 - 15% off the Empire Builder
Traveling between Seattle and the Windy City? X546 is good for 15% off your journey. Discount cannot be booked online. Must call Amtrak or visit a station to book.

Has anyone tried to book this route yet and if so, is it valid for any stops from CHI to SEA or do you have travel the whole route?

My mom takes Amtrak all the time to GFK (she is from that area originally) so this would be a nice discount!
I don't know really, but I would guess not!

There was a code a few years ago that was __% off for travel to/from RI that could be booked online - but it was discovered that it gives the same __% off on any 2 city pairs on the route! (That included NYP-WAS!) When it came back the following year, you had to call for that code. I think it may be to be sure you were going to/from RI only.
Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:34 pm

V856

Blackout dates do apply to V856 - 20% off to/from Boston, FYI--I was told it wasn't applicable for travel on Presidents Day. Did get the discount on my Thursday outbound leg, though, so at least that's something. . .and no problems upgrading the discount ticket to business class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.