Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by petrohd
X546 - 15% off the Empire Builder
Traveling between Seattle and the Windy City? X546 is good for 15% off your journey. Discount cannot be booked online. Must call Amtrak or visit a station to book. Thanks saschasegan!

Has anyone tried to book this route yet and if so, is it valid for any stops from CHI to SEA or do you have travel the whole route?

My mom takes Amtrak all the time to GFK (she is from that area originally) so this would be a nice discount!

Mike P

I spoke with Amtrak CS yesterday. I was told that X546 expired as of 12/13/07.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: AGR
AAA discount - only at station

Originally Posted by mbhstrack

If you check this link to Amtrak employee publication (AmtrakInk)the offer is listed on page 9.
http://www.amtrak.com/pdf/ink/AmtrakInk-122007.pdf

I spoke directly to an Amtrak employee yesterday and she could not explain any details. She was polite and we spoke for up to 10 minutes. She did give a code H744 but She then referred me to Capitol Corridor because that is the route I am trying to book and they would know about the discount. That was even less help. they could only give me schedule information and told me that I had to go to a station. No info on the code just the standard 10% AAA discount.
I also called my local AAA office and after several calls got a person who still could not explain why it appeared in their discount publication and had no idea how it could be redeemed. I found this same ad -word-for-word -in numerous regional AAA web ads.
Yesterday, bought tickets for trip on Capitol Corridor. Got a terrific Amtrak ticket agent who helped show that the above code was legit (H744) Must show AAA card. It gave 50% off companion in addition to standard 10% AAA discount. Too bad not honored online or with phone.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: Peon in all
V448 - 50% off CHI-STL, but it may only be valid 1/18-19, 1/26-27, 2/2-3 and 2/5.

H736 - 50% off companion fares between KS stations (on SWC) and ABQ for 1/19/08 hockey game.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:58 am

Anyone have a good code for SYR to NYP on March 1st and NYP to SYR on March 3rd? Looks like the trains that are running the times I'd like to go are the Empire and Lakeshore Limited, respectively.

I'm debating on whether to drive or take the train. The costs between the two are pretty close when you factor in gas, tolls, parking, etc. Driving is a little quicker (about 1 hour if the train is on time). If I could get the train cost down a little bit it though, it would be worth it to take the train and save on the wear and tear on the car.

I don't have AAA so that code is out (and it's not worth getting as I have towing, disablement, lockout, gas service, etc. through my insurance company, and I have a great travel agent already).

Last edited by JLewisinSyr; Jan 17, 2008 at 5:51 am
Old Jan 16, 2008, 3:48 pm

I can't find any NEC (WAS-NYP) codes
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:22 pm

Vermonter

I can't find any Vermonter Discounts ( besides the obvious) going from stm (stamford CT) to WRJ (white river JCt) any flying around in the next months? It has been about a year since I saw any
Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:41 pm

nyc to va

i'm a mom who needs to get to richmond (nyp to rvr) on march 1st, and can't seem to find the right code. i'm traveling with my toddler (under 2), and will be returning around 3/22 (my birthday!), so a round trip fare is ok, though not necessary if the one-way discount is good enough. desperate!
Old Jan 19, 2008, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by angel_anew
i'm a mom who needs to get to richmond (nyp to rvr) on march 1st, and can't seem to find the right code. i'm traveling with my toddler (under 2), and will be returning around 3/22 (my birthday!), so a round trip fare is ok, though not necessary if the one-way discount is good enough. desperate!
Welcome to FT angel_anew!

I don't know of any codes right now, but you may want to seriously consider reserving using something like a AAA fare (or even an adult fare) ASAP! Amtrak fares are sold using a "bucket system", and as soon as a certain number of seats are sold, the fare kicks up to the next bucket. The fare can only go up, so even if you get a fare next week for 15% off, if the fare rose 25%, it would still be more than today's full fare!

And unlike airlines, as long as the ticket(s) were not printed, there is no cancellation penalty! (Hint - do not pick up your ticket until you arrive at the station! ) Even if they were printed, you can get a voucher for 100% of the value or a 90% value refund.

Also remember - unlike airlines, a round trip fare on Amtrak costs the same as 2 one-way fares. So if for some reason you can not get a fare giving (say) 25% off one-way (such as a blackout date), you could book one way using the discount and the other as a AAA or adult fare!
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:02 am

does anyone know how closely amtrak checks the qualification for the senior discount? i'm pretty close in age, but not there yet. Will i get stopped if I book using the discount?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:45 am

No guarantees, but most conductors may not even look at the price of the ticket or the fare paid. Most are only concerned with if you have a ticket from A to B!

Even if they do look at the fare, as long as you look somewhat like you qualify, they may not question it. If you are 60, but look like you may qualify, I don't think you'll have a problem. However, if you're 60 but look 40 they may question it. (Likewise, if you have a child ticket but you look 35, you may be questioned about it.)

The place you would probably be questioned is if you pick up your ticket at a ticket window. However, if you pick up your ticket at a Quik Trak machine, you will not be questioned (at the machine).

I have never been asked if I'm a AAA member on the train - even if I pick up the tickets at a Quik Trak!

YMMV.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:42 pm

Wink BWI to NYP

Are there any promotional codes going from BWI to NYP?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
V856 blackout dates

info here:
http://www.bostonusa.com/Member_form...AmtrakV856.pdf
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Welcome to FlyerTalk, greekgoddess59! Unfortunately, I don't see anything listed on the first page of this thread, and that's where all codes we know of are. You're probably limited to the basic AAA, etc. discounts.

Thanks iloveipods! Hopefully ByeByeDelta will drop by soon and see that and he can link to that form on the first page here.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:29 pm

It says that promotion is only good for travel to and from Boston.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:31 pm

I saw the beginning of the thread and I didn't see any codes for BWI to NYP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.