Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Another Cascades code

H750

This is a code for a free companion ticket. It is stated that you can use it for travel to/from Portland only. However, I re-priced my non-Portland itinerary that I mentioned in the previous post, and H750 stuck. However, unlike V777, this one has several blackout dates that still apply. Aside from the blackout dates, the code is good through May 23, 2008. Details here:

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/PortlandBigDeal.aspx

So if you are traveling alone, use V777. If you are traveling with a companion, use H750.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:37 am

Journey from Chicago to Montreal

I'm looking to do the above at the end of June 2008. Please can you advise on discounts? I'm English, so think the AAA ones won't apply. We are looking to go Chicago-Albany, overnight there and then Albany-Montreal. If anyone has any better route ideas, they would be grately appreciated too!

Thanks

Alison
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Alison! Glad to have you on board. Feel free to check out other aspects of this community. You'll learn tons about travel here!

Unfortunately, it does not look like there are currently any codes that cover the routes you're looking at. Keep checking back here as time progresses (Amtrak adds codes periodically), but for starters, do book the reservation now to lock in whatever bucket the fare is currently at (likely the lowest one). As more people book, Amtrak's price goes up (it never drops like airline prices can), and in the case that you do find a working discount code, you can cancel your reservation without penalty and book at the new, lower price (although be aware that at that point, a higher fare even with a 10 or 15% discount might be more expensive than the current fare with no discount).

You might want to double-check with your UK auto club and see if it has reciprocal agreements with AAA here (and determine whether a membership, if you don't already have one, would be worth the savings). If so, perhaps someone here can speak to how to enter the number to get a discount.

I'm also not familiar with the Lake Shore Limited (other than reports here that it tends to run late) or the Adirondack (the services that you'll be riding on), so I'll leave it for some of the more experienced posters to guide you on that.

Best of luck and happy travels!
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by Alibear27
I'm looking to do the above at the end of June 2008. Please can you advise on discounts? I'm English, so think the AAA ones won't apply. We are looking to go Chicago-Albany, overnight there and then Albany-Montreal. If anyone has any better route ideas, they would be grately appreciated too!
Welcome to FT Alibear27!

Another possibility is a east rail pass. These are offered by Amtrak to foreign visitors.

You did not say if you were just going one way from Chicago to Montreal, or how long you would be staying in the US and Canada. This pass is more expensive than just a one-way fare, but you could also visit places such as New York City, Washington, DC, Miami and New Orleans on the same pass!
Old Jan 4, 2008, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
Please Read This Post Below First!

Southern Routes

V542 - 20% off Florida
Order a FREE Orlando Magicard and save 20% off rail fare to/from all Central Florida stations on Auto Train and the Silver Service. Cannot be booked via Amtrak.com. Must call 1-800-USA-RAIL to book. Some restrictions apply.

http://www.orlandoinfo.com/magicard/...ategory&cid=12

Excuse me if i'm quoting wrong i'm new!
Well I just called Amtrak to try and book a trip to Orlando in April. I saw this code on www.frommers.com before I saw it here and they have that it's until extended until May 31, 2008. Well that's a lie because when I called the lady said it can't be used past Feb. 28.

So who's the research Guru for these codes. I really want that 20%.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 1:34 pm

Ok I just called Orlando Magic and the new Code is V673 and it last for a Year!

So now I'm off to call Amtrak again and see if I can get my 20% discount! Yahoooooooooooo!!!
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shelly_shell
Ok I just called Orlando Magic and the new Code is V673 and it last for a Year!

So now I'm off to call Amtrak again and see if I can get my 20% discount! Yahoooooooooooo!!!
Thanks for the post and welcome to FlyerTalk! Make sure you let us know if it successfully booked and we'll get ByeByeDelta to add it to the first post in the thread!
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
Traveling to Albany/ Montreal

Please I beg you if you do take the Lakeshore limited ( I hope you do not) purchase sleeper accomodation. That train according to Amtrak was on time 32.4% of the time in 2007. That was an improvement from 2006 when it was on time 23.1% of the time. I live in Syracuse New York and refuse to ride that train anymore after I was late 11 hours on that train. It is not always Amtraks fault but still the train is not on time very often. You would be so much happier I think on the Cardinal to New York then on any Amtrak train to Albany New york or straight through to Montreal. You could explore New York City a little. Nice town to sight see in. Overnighting in Albany is not something I would look forward to my mapping software shows no hotel close to the Albany / Rennsalear Amtrak station and the city of Albany is across the river. Your Layover IF train is on time is 20 hours. On the Cardinal (check days of week) you would arrive NYC about 10 PM with a hotel across the street from the station and the train to Montreal leaves around 7;30 the next A.M. You will go through the beautiful mountains of West Virginia and come up the Atlantic coast passing through Washington D.C to me much prettier ride.

But thats my opinion

Last edited by darben; Jan 4, 2008 at 8:15 pm Reason: misspelled words made meaning unclear
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by darben
Please I beg you if you do take the Lakeshore limited ( I hope you do not) purchase sleeper accomodation. That train according to Amtrak was on time 32.4% of the time in 2007. That was an improvement from 2006 when it was on time 23.1% of the time.
I live in Syracuse New York and refuse to ride that train anymore after I was late 11 hours on that train. It is not always Amtraks fault but still the train is not on time very often. You would be so much happier I think on the Cardinal to New York then on any Amtrak train to Albany New york or straight through to Montreal. You could explore New York City a little. Nice town to sight see in. Overnighting in Albany is not something I would look forward to my mapping software shows no hotel close to the Albany / Rennsalear Amtrak station and the city of Albany is across the river. Your Layover IF train is on time is 20 hours. On the Cardinal (check days of week) you would arrive NYC about 10 PM with a hotel across the street from the station and the train to Montreal leaves around 7;30 the next A.M. You will go through the beautiful mountains of West Virginia and come up the Atlantic coast passing through Washington D.C to me much prettier ride.

But thats my opinion
Well the Cardinal's 39% on time record is hardly impressive either, only 7% better than the LSL's record. And in the Cardinal's case, even a 3 hour delay means that one arrives into NY after midnight. The Lake Shore on the other hand has to be 9 hours late into Albany, before it would arrive after midnight.

Now I won't deny that the Cardinal has superior scenery compared to the Lake Shore, but it would also result in a far more expensive trip for the OP. The train itself will cost more, and then there is the higher expense of hotel rooms in NY compared to Albany.

And getting from the Rensselaer station to Albany isn't very hard, there is both public buses and taxis. Once in downtown ALB, there are several nice hotel choices. The OP would also get a better nights sleep too, since they'd arrive at the hotel earlier and be able to sleep later in Albany than they would in NY City.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plus, that might throw a wrench (spanner?) in Alison's plans, as the Cardinal only runs three times per week.

Another option (don't know how it will work with scheduling and fares) is the Capitol Limited to DC and a Regional to NY (or the CapLim to Pittsburgh and the Pennsylvanian to New York from there), and then catching the Adirondack from there. Try pricing CHI-NYP on Amtrak.com to see some valid routings (I threw a date in of Feb. 6 to see routings including the Cardinal).

But if Alison doesn't have definite plans in ALB except to wait for the Adirondack, I don't think it would really matter how late the LSL is running--it won't really inconvenience her. (And I don't think it's absolutely necessary to go for a sleeper, although it would of course be more comfortable. Note that discount codes do not usually apply to sleeper fares.)
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Originally Posted by jackal
Thanks for the post and welcome to FlyerTalk! Make sure you let us know if it successfully booked and we'll get ByeByeDelta to add it to the first post in the thread!
Done!
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:24 pm
Duv

As a rookie to the whole world of train travel, I'd like to thank you all for this wonderful forum to share ways to save and educate. Thank you!

I called Amtrak yesterday regarding the Orlando Magic Pass ( code V673) and was on hold for a hour) - Apparently this code was a tricky one. We booked 2 roomettes, and unfortunately, the discount only applies to ADULTS, so since we are traveling with children, they gave our kids the AAA child discount, but took off our AAA discount and applied the 20% Orlando Magicpass Code. Long story short, we saved $30, so thanks for the info!

Last edited by Duv; Jan 7, 2008 at 2:29 pm
Old Jan 7, 2008, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by thenewbie
Northeast Routes

V856 - Visit Massachusetts Discount - 20% off
20% off best available fare. Regional trains only.
3-day Advance Reservation Requirement.

http://www.bostonusa.com/Member_form...itorsOffer.pdf
I tried using this code today. Per Amtrak, V856 is only valid for travel to Boston. I see this is noted at http://www.railserve.com/amtrak_coupons.html. They also have a few other codes not listed here - Downeaster, Surfliner, Cascades, etc.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Thumbs up January Fare Sale

Amtrak has just released details of their January fare sale on most long distance trains. More details in the top of this thread and on Amtrak's website.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...ink&WT.mc_r=14

The details say no upgrades are permitted, but some test sales on Amtrak.com permitted upgrades to Viewliner Roomettes on the Silver Service.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:02 am
reg

looking for code: FTL (Ft. Lauderdale) to SJC (San Jose)

Hi - I don't see any obvious codes going from ftl to sjc on 1/18/2008. I prefer the northern route, but price is important so going over the Sierra is fine too. I did see a low fare from, I think Chicago to Portland, I think for $95, but for that leg of the trip I would like a room and that wasn't a listed option. Plus I'm not sure how this works on a long trip like this where there are several transfers.

I'm a newbie on the train, so any help is appreciated!

btw, if anyone recommends one route over the other for this trip, I'd like to hear about it.

thx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.