Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014; Expanded 31 December 2022]

Old Feb 10, 22, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Click HERE to read discussion from 2013 - 2021.

FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, concourses C, D, E, F, and G are all connected airside to the Centurion lounge. From boarding areas A or B you would have to clear security twice. For the most up-to-date info, see Connecting in SFO thread in the FlyerTalk San Francisco forum.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: Centurion Lounges no longer offer access on arrival.




Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014; Expanded 31 December 2022]

Old Aug 1, 22, 9:00 am
  #106  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,728
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
The Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at SFO is located at the International Terminal, A Gates, near Gate A1.

On the other hand, UA flights depart from a few D Gates in Terminal 2, the E & F Gates in Terminal 3, and the International Terminal, G Gates.

So in every case, after finishing a visit at the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse, one would have to exit security and then re-clear security to catch a UA flight.
iím a little confused, walking from the United G gates (for example where the CL club is located) to the international terminal where the other lounges and A gates doesnít require any passage through security in either direction. Has something changed recently? Thanks
Flying Machine is offline  
Old Aug 1, 22, 9:00 am
  #107  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .56 MM, United & Admirals Clubs, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 13,106
Originally Posted by lsquare (Post # 100) View Post
What are they actually building at the meant to make it possible to walk from A to G? I don't recall seeing any major construction at SFO last month.

Lucky you! How did you get that LT AA membership? The bonus is not having to fly a same-day OW flight!
It has been at least six months since I read the articles in detail, but I believe the airside B-C walkway connection is the last segment of the arc.

In the mid 1990s, SPN was served by CO, NW & UA.

In 2000, ​​​​​when the UA merger with US was proposed, I bought a lifetime spousal US Airways Club membership as a potential back-door to a lifetime UA membership, which hadn't been sold for at least a decade. Similarly, there were talks about a possible CO-NW merger, so I bought a lifetime spousal Presidents Club membership.

As you may know, the Clinton Administration disapproved a UA-US merger as "anti-competitive".

However, the G.W. Bush Administration approved UA-CO, AA-US, and DL-NW. Don't look to me for investment advice. (!)

I did get some very good use out of my Presidents Club membership in the NW World Club (later DL Sky Club) at NRT through 2010 or 2011, and of course the in the former landside Presidents Club at SFO Terminal 1 until it closed.
lsquare likes this.
SPN Lifer is offline  
Old Aug 1, 22, 9:02 am
  #108  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 52,827
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
​​​​​​According to comments in that thread, walking "the long way around" SFO airside, once construction is complete, will take about 20 minutes.
I'd say 20-30 minutes.

Based on the current status of the T1 North Ticketing Lobby, 2024 sounds optimistic. It's currently a big hole in the ground.

No one should be holding their breath for a direct A to G connection.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and lsquare like this.
Kacee is offline  
Old Aug 1, 22, 9:05 am
  #109  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 14,980
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
iím a little confused, walking from the United G gates (for example where the CL club is located) to the international terminal where the other lounges and A gates doesnít require any passage through security in either direction. Has something changed recently? Thanks
Technically, the CL is near the F gates.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I'd say 20-30 minutes.

Based on the current status of the T1 North Ticketing Lobby, 2024 sounds optimistic. It's currently a big hole in the ground.

No one should be holding their breath for a direct A to G connection.
​​​​​​​Still only a hole in the ground? What's slowing the project down?
lsquare is offline  
Old Aug 1, 22, 9:07 am
  #110  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .56 MM, United & Admirals Clubs, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 13,106
Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post # 106) View Post
iím a little confused, walking from the United G gates (for example where the CL club is located) to the international terminal where the other lounges and A gates doesnít require any passage through security in either direction. Has something changed recently? Thanks
You are quite right about the airside connection between the F Gates in Terminal 3 and the G Gates in the International Terminal.

However, the G Gates and the A Gates have always been separate "wings" of the International Terminal (north and south, respectively) ever since it was built. Nothing has changed. The international check-in is between those two wings, and you have to choose one or the other. See the SFO map.

https://www.flysfo.com/maps

Historically, Star Alliance was at the G Gates, while oneworld was at the A Gates. I am not sure about Sky Team, but believe they are at A as well.

Before the current International Terminal was built, in evental connection with the BART extension, the International Terminal was in what is now simply Terminal 2.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Aug 1, 22 at 9:25 am
SPN Lifer is offline  
Old Aug 1, 22, 4:44 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Posts: 690
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
iím a little confused, walking from the United G gates (for example where the CL club is located) to the international terminal where the other lounges and A gates doesnít require any passage through security in either direction. Has something changed recently? Thanks
The International terminal has two wings: A and G. Yes, the G/F/CL are connected post security. But the A and G post security are not.
Flying Machine and lsquare like this.
Infinite1K is offline  
Old Aug 1, 22, 5:40 pm
  #112  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Danville, CA, USA;
Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 14,716
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Still only a hole in the ground? What's slowing the project down?
Why would this be on anybody's priority list? UA Terminal F already connects nicely to the *A partner flights, and soon AA/DL will better connect to OW and ST flights (if they don't already) with no need to re-connect through security.

And of course if you are going interntional->domestic you have to clear security anyway after customs so there is no benefit.

Originally Posted by Infinite1K View Post
The International terminal has two wings: A and G. Yes, the G/F/CL are connected post security. But the A and G post security are not.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
But within a year or two you will be able to walk the long way around. A-B-C-D-E-F-G.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
​​​​​​According to comments in that thread, walking "the long way around" SFO airside, once construction is complete, will take about 20 minutes.
Personally I would just walk across the international terminal checkin area as I am through security in <5 minutes with Clear. But maybe some people need the exercise.

Then again I refuse to walk 5 minutes from the UA lounge to Amex lounge, at least until the waitlist is gone.
Boraxo is offline  
Old Aug 1, 22, 6:30 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,728
Originally Posted by Infinite1K View Post
The International terminal has two wings: A and G. Yes, the G/F/CL are connected post security. But the A and G post security are not.
Thanks! Never knew..
SPN Lifer and Infinite1K like this.
Flying Machine is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 11:47 am
  #114  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 54,140
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
Personally I would just walk across the international terminal checkin area as I am through security in <5 minutes with Clear. But maybe some people need the exercise.
I would do that as well between A and G, and I like to walk around before flights. But I also have Clear and PreCheck, so I don't worry about long queues at security.
Boraxo, Flying Machine and lsquare like this.
dhuey is online now  
Old Aug 3, 22, 7:10 pm
  #115  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 9,683
Flying through here next week. I usually fly DL (so have lounge access over there) but for once I'm on UA taking the morning SFO - RDU direct. How busy is the lounge in the morning (SFO - RDU leaves at 930am)? Last time I was there was a number of years ago so I have no idea what it is like these days (either crowds or quality).

Worth showing up early for some Centurion time or don't bother and just show up right before boarding?
Duke787 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 7:28 pm
  #116  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Danville, CA, USA;
Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold
Posts: 14,716
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Worth showing up early for some Centurion time or don't bother and just show up right before boarding?
I'd say it depends on the gate. If your gate is near you can roll the dice and see if there is a waitlist. If your gate is farther out in F or even E, and you have non-Amex PP restaurant access I would highly recommend one of the PP restaurants which usually offer pretty fast service. From what I've observed most people come here to drink, not to eat.
Boraxo is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 7:28 pm
  #117  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 14,980
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Flying through here next week. I usually fly DL (so have lounge access over there) but for once I'm on UA taking the morning SFO - RDU direct. How busy is the lounge in the morning (SFO - RDU leaves at 930am)? Last time I was there was a number of years ago so I have no idea what it is like these days (either crowds or quality).

Worth showing up early for some Centurion time or don't bother and just show up right before boarding?
Mornings can definitely get very busy.
lsquare is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 7:59 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 9,683
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
I'd say it depends on the gate. If your gate is near you can roll the dice and see if there is a waitlist. If your gate is farther out in F or even E, and you have non-Amex PP restaurant access I would highly recommend one of the PP restaurants which usually offer pretty fast service. From what I've observed most people come here to drink, not to eat.
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Mornings can definitely get very busy.
Thanks -- traveling for work so can expense out breakfast (at airport or before arriving) so sounds like not worth stopping by unless there is a delay or I unexpectedly arrive early and need to kill time
Duke787 is offline  
Old Aug 3, 22, 8:05 pm
  #119  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Berkeley, CA USA
Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Posts: 54,140
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Thanks -- traveling for work so can expense out breakfast (at airport or before arriving) so sounds like not worth stopping by unless there is a delay or I unexpectedly arrive early and need to kill time
Then I'd definitely go for the restaurant of your choice in E or F. It'll be exactly the meal you want, and a more peaceful experience. I like the SFO CL, but it's often not your best option.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo, Kacee and 1 others like this.
dhuey is online now  
Old Aug 3, 22, 8:07 pm
  #120  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 14,980
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Thanks -- traveling for work so can expense out breakfast (at airport or before arriving) so sounds like not worth stopping by unless there is a delay or I unexpectedly arrive early and need to kill time
The PP restaurants can get busy as well. It's hard to say with any sort of certainty. Yankee Pier is very close to the CL so you can quickly check before heading up to the CL. By default, I go to the CL first.
lsquare is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread