Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014; Expanded 31 December 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Click HERE to read discussion from 2013 - 2021.

FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, concourses C, D, E, F, and G are all connected airside to the Centurion lounge. From boarding areas A or B you would have to clear security twice. For the most up-to-date info, see Connecting in SFO thread in the FlyerTalk San Francisco forum.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: Centurion Lounges no longer offer access on arrival.

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014; Expanded 31 December 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2022, 3:19 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
Until...?
Not specified: https://www.thecenturionlounge.com/locations/sfo/

ETA: American Express estimates that the SFO lounge should reopen by the end of 2022. (See linked article in post 170.)

Last edited by mia; Sep 4, 2022 at 4:41 pm
Old Sep 1, 2022, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mama
I posted in other threads that I wish Amex Plat increase their annual fee to >$1000, or make Cen Lounge access as a separate benefit for additional annual fee.
As it stands now, the Amex CL is more of a economy lounge.

Originally Posted by Troopers
Your criticism of the CL is fair. However, comparing the CL to the Polaris is inappropriate where access is very restrictive compared to the CL.

I expect the CL to be significantly better in Feb when the access is more restrictive and expansion is completed.
You are correct, CL and Polaris are on different leagues.
CL is geared towards the general crowd, whoever has the Plat card(a coupon book card), it's not targeted for premium customers, and is not a premium lounge.

Last edited by Mama; Sep 1, 2022 at 5:16 pm
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Reaching
Just saw this notice that the lounge is closing for maintenance starting on 9/6 on the SFO Centurion Lounge site.
As I understand it, the closure if for the much-needed expansion.

Though I suspect that demand will still exceed reasonable capacity.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'm currently at the CL. There is indeed a sign by the entrance announcing the upcoming renovation. The staff said they'll close on September 6th for dine-in.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
You know it has jumped the shark when the closure is reported online:

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...o-17415796.php

I expect the CL to be significantly better in Feb when the access is more restrictive and expansion is completed.
don’t get your hopes up. SFO has plenty of tech bros & DYKWIA types who can easily get AU cards for family members. if anything I would wager it will be more crowded once tech travel ramps up to Asia etc. Of course an increase in total capacity will help

The Centurion Lounge at SFO is providing grab-and-go pre-packaged food options
and limited non-alcoholic beverage options for Card Members to enjoy.
iMO this is a major improvement as it meets my needs perfectly. When I visit a lounge I am typically grab and go. I was never able to use SFO due to the massive line just to get on the waiting list to enter the lounge.

Last edited by Boraxo; Sep 2, 2022 at 6:06 pm
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Just saw this notice that the lounge is closing for maintenance starting on 9/6 on the SFO Centurion Lounge site. Was looking forward to visiting before my flight next Friday.

The Centurion® Lounge at San Francisco International Airport will be temporarily
closed for maintenance, beginning September 6.

Grab-and-go pre-packaged food and non-alcoholic beverage options will be
provided for eligible Card Members to enjoy, beginning September 12 from
8:00 am – 6:00 pm.

The Centurion Lounge at SFO is providing grab-and-go pre-packaged food options
and limited non-alcoholic beverage options for Card Members to enjoy.

Grab & Go Menu8:00 am - 6:00 pm

Cold Sandwich

Bag of Chips

Protein Bar

Hand Fruit

The Centurion Lounge at SFO is providing limited non-alcoholic beverage
options for Card Members to enjoy, including flavored sparkling or distilled
water and bottled coffee.
yikes - I told my industry friend that with the lounge closure, I’m just as likely to get in now as I do when I’ve been traveling in the past, since I try not to get to the airport insanely early, and there’s always a line.

as for the grab and go….8am? Surely, this is of no help for my 7:15am flight next week. Plus, the menu seems a bit weak. May still be better to just run to Klein’s or Napa Farms, which, yes, you need to pay for, but probably much better food (which is typically the case via-a-vis the SFO CL food anyway). I almost wish Amex would just give us a voucher for the regular airport vendors (like an airline does for a controllable delay).

While I always liked the concept of the Centurion lounges, by the time I actually determined the card was worth it for me - with the refresh - I always expected the Centurion lounge was going to be one of the least useful benefits - given the lines, with my home airport as SFO. I’ve been to a couple of lounges - SFO, DEN and SEA, all once - but honestly, I get value out of the credits/offers, and mostly, since this was the card that would still get me access to Plaza Premium lounges, since I fly out of YYZ/YVR often. Now that VentureX has the Plaza Premium access also, and with the guest access policy in Feb, I’m likely to cancel next year - I usually am traveling with kids, who I can’t even add as AUs since they are both well <13, and I can continue with the VX and still have my lounge access with C1. Honestly, the loss of the Amex lounges are pretty insignificant on the level of loss - though I realize that’s YMMV depending on the travel situations of others.
cczzll likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
don’t get your hopes up. SFO has plenty of tech bros & DYKWIA types who can easily get AU cards for family members. if anything I would wager it will be more crowded once tech travel ramps up to Asia etc. Of course an increase in total capacity will help
I wager it will be less crowded. I don't think traffic increase due to AU cards and Asia travels offsets decrease due to the ~2x lounge space, increased AFs and elimination of friends/colleagues.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:40 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I was wondering how they could stay open with all of the construction work that will be necessary to expand the lounge to include the space next-door. Well, there's the answer -- they won't be open during that construction.

I look forward to the reopening. Should be a much nicer experience.
Flying Machine and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wager it will be less crowded. I don't think traffic increase due to AU cards and Asia travels offsets decrease due to the ~2x lounge space, increased AFs and elimination of friends/colleagues.
I don't think there will be a silver bullet to this problem, but this should help make of a more pleasant experience. AMEX should have eliminated free guests a long time ago.

Originally Posted by dhuey
I was wondering how they could stay open with all of the construction work that will be necessary to expand the lounge to include the space next-door. Well, there's the answer -- they won't be open during that construction.

I look forward to the reopening. Should be a much nicer experience.
​​​​​​​Hopefully, they'll announce a reopening date soon. I'll be back at SFO in a couple of weeks for another trip to Singapore. I'll report back on what they're giving with the to-go package. In the meantime, I guess it's Yankee Pier and UC Rotunda for me. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Old Sep 8, 2022, 4:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lsquare
Hopefully, they'll announce a reopening date soon. I'll be back at SFO in a couple of weeks for another trip to Singapore. I'll report back on what they're giving with the to-go package. In the meantime, I guess it's Yankee Pier and UC Rotunda for me. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I read from some article that says the SFO CL expansion work won't be finished until the end of year. So, good luck.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mama
I read from some article that says the SFO CL expansion work won't be finished until the end of year. So, good luck.
I’ll survive. This is a small price to pay if the SFO CL experience is better because of it.
dhuey, SPN Lifer and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wager it will be less crowded.
I think it will still be uncomfortably crowded much of the day. The demand for lounge access at SFO is off the charts, as is the number of travelers with a Plat card.

I seem to recall prior announcements that the lounge would remain open during construction, and thinking that didn't sound feasible.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 9:25 am

The scene this morning. Looks like grab-and-go starts on Monday.

Old Sep 8, 2022, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
The scene this morning. Looks like grab-and-go starts on Monday.
Perfect timing for me, though unlikely I will check it out as the Polaris lounge beckons on Monday.

Last edited by Boraxo; Sep 8, 2022 at 12:43 pm
Old Sep 8, 2022, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Perfect timing for me, though unlikely I will check it out as the Polaris lounge beckons on Monday.
Ha! Yes, I think Polaris is the call there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.