FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
The 2020 - 2021 thread is HERE.
Print Wikipost

Amex Offers USA (2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by merlin90
I have "Spend $50 or more, get $50 back on WSJwine." The terms say the purchase needs to be made at http://wsjwine.com/amex. Has anyone tried ordering through the main WSJwine site, which has a much wider selection and does restrict you to subscription boxes, to see if the credit is still applied? There is a similar offer with Laithwaites ("Spend $40 or more, get $40 back, up to two times") with similar apparent restrictions, to which my same question would apply.
if, after going through the Amex link, you click on the websites logo, it takes you to wsjwine.com. Not sure if it remembers in your server session that you came via the Amex URL originally, but the URL doesnt have a parameter indicating the source.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Looks like a giant pile of useless-to-me Amex Offers was released overnight. Including goodies such as

Maybe Ive been living under a rock, but I dont think I have ever heard of Orlebar Brown. And my lifetime swimsuit spend probably has been less than $250 so far.

Oh, and Crocs is back, too, with an offer.
beltway likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:57 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
....dont think I have ever heard of Orlebar Brown....
Why is this remarkable? Offers is an advertising program. A core function of advertising is to introduce unfamiliar brands or novel products to prospective customers.
EkekoBWI likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Why is this remarkable? Offers is an advertising program. A core function of advertising is to introduce unfamiliar brands or novel products to prospective customers.

Its interesting to me because Amex clearly doesnt know a whole lot about me and my purchasing preferences (despite Thank you for being a valuable member since 199x), or if they do, they dont apply it in their ad targeting. Introducing unfamiliar brands is one thing, advertising irrelevant brands/products another.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I actually think Amex purposely avoids giving you offers you might actually use.
volabam likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:51 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Originally Posted by hotturnip
I actually think Amex purposely avoids giving you offers you might actually use.
Why?
Old Oct 1, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Its interesting to me because Amex clearly doesnt know a whole lot about me and my purchasing preferences (despite Thank you for being a valuable member since 199x), or if they do, they dont apply it in their ad targeting. Introducing unfamiliar brands is one thing, advertising irrelevant brands/products another.
Your offers likely have nothing to do with your purchasing preferences - but rather how much advertisers are willing to spend with Amex
Old Oct 1, 2022, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Your offers likely have nothing to do with your purchasing preferences - but rather how much advertisers are willing to spend with Amex
Perhaps, but do you not think that Amex is promoting some sort of smart targeting of those ads to their customers (the merchants)? In a way its somewhat comforting to see this not very effective (IMO) targeting.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 12:45 pm
mia

Perhaps, but do you not think that Amex is promoting some sort of smart targeting....
Yes, but mass marketers are not interested in individuals. You may have been targeted based on your billing zip code, your card type, using the card to buy clothing, or to stay at a resort, previous offers that you viewed, saved or redeemed, etc.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mia
Why?
Because I don't believe that the merchants always fund them. I think some of them are partially subsidized by Amex.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 4:43 pm
mia

1) Why would American Express subsidize some advertisers, but not others?

2) Why would American Express not want a high redemption rate on a subsidized offer?
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by mia
1) Why would American Express subsidize some advertisers, but not others?
Some Amex Offers are not linked to specific companies, but rather to a category of spending (I.e., insurance, cell phone spending, etc.). We can assume that Amex is covering the discount.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:11 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Some Amex Offers are not linked to specific companies, but rather to a category of spending (I.e., insurance, cell phone spending, etc.). We can assume that Amex is covering the discount.
Agreed, but not in the case where it requires spend at a specific merchant.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Those are presumably offers where Amex wants to entice you to switch your recurring payment to one of their cards.
Visconti likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:55 am

Those are presumably offers where Amex wants to entice you to switch your recurring payment to one of their cards.
And, it's incredibly effective. I recall making this switch for a small credit, made a mental note to switch the card to another higher earning one, and that was 2 years ago. I still haven't switched it. Actually, I could do it now, but for some amounts, it's just not worth the effort.
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.