Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
AMEX COVID-19 BONUS EXPERIENCE WIKI

Doctor of Credit database of services that work/don’t work for credits: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-benefits-workshop-which-merchants-code-for-streaming-wireless-shipping-credits-sortable-table

Please add services that have worked, or NOT worked, for you, along with any relevant notes. See the bottom of the wiki for information on what's supposed to be covered, per the Amex website.
Program T&Cs: https://about.americanexpress.com/si...n-TCs-FAQs.pdf

Wireless Phone Services (see below for rules)
  • WORKED
    • AT&T Prepaid - post 269
    • Greatcall - autopay, posted as WWW.GREATCALL.COM
    • T-Mobile Prepaid - post 265
    • Verizon Wireless Prepaid - posted as VZW PREPAID INTERNET OT
    • Visible - hardware purchase and monthly bill - both posted as VISIBLE LONE TREE
    • Google Fi - posted as wireless credit for many after May 22 (see posts from #385 onwards)
    • ACN Flash wireless - autopay, posted as ACN Flash wireless. Credit posted 24 hours after charge posted.
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • Google Fi - posted as streaming for some (plat - "GOOGLE *GOOGLE FI G.CO/HELPPAY# CA", pay.google.com, additional information shows "GAMES"); no credit on green (additional information shows "Axxxxxxx SELLER"). Not clear if this was a temporary miscoding since it posted as Wireless for several after May 22. UPDATE: GOOGLE FI still sometimes posts as streaming credit. Worked for me on September 14th 2020. Had already used the $20 wireless credit and paid another $20 go Google FI and it was refunded as streaming credit. My experience is that it works 50% of the time.
Streaming Services (see below for officially covered services)
  • WORKED
    • Amazon Music Unlimited - posted as AMAZON MUSIC
    • Amazon Kindle
    • Apple iCloud data storage - reimbursed as streaming subscription
    • Audible
    • Spotify
    • Disney Plus - posted as DISNEY PLUS ECOM
    • Netflix - posted as NETFLIX.COM
    • YouTube - movie rental, directly through YouTube
    • HBOMax
    • Google Play credits (only if purchased in Android Play app)
    • Google Play "In-Game Purchases" billed through google play
    • Google Domain Services
    • Sirius XM Annual Subscription
  • DID NOT WORK
    • Criterion Channel
  • YMMV
    • xxx
Shipping Services (Business Platinum)
  • WORKED
    • USPS.com - Forever Stamps 5/27/2020
    • USPS.com - gift shop.. toy trucks, etc 5/27/2020
    • UPS - Campusship label generated and scanned into UPS stream 5/22/2020 (have not yet tested label generated but not scanned into stream)
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • xxx

Wireless Credit Rules, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
To earn additional rewards, the purchase must be for monthly wireless telephone service charges and made directly from a wireless telephone service provider in the United States.

The following types of purchases are NOT included for additional Wireless rewards:
  • Purchases from authorized retailers, resellers or third party sellers
  • Purchases for hardware (e.g phones and accessories) or repair services
  • Bundled services offered by Wireless companies for TV, Internet and VoIP
  • VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) services
Examples of merchants that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards for Wireless services include:
  • AT&T
  • Sprint
  • T-Mobile
  • Verizon
*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
  • Authorized retailers or resellers (e.g. Spring Communications, Wireless Zone)
  • Superstores (e.g. Wal-Mart, and Target)
  • Electronics stores (e.g. Best Buy, Staples)
Streaming Services Covered, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
  • Amazon Music Unlimited
  • Apple Music
  • Apple TV+
  • AT&T Now
  • Audible
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • ESPN+
  • Fubo TV
  • HBO Max
  • HBO Now
  • Hulu
  • iHeartRadio
  • Kindle Unlimited
  • Luminary
  • MLB.TV
  • NBA League Pass
  • Netflix
  • NHL.TV
  • Pandora
  • Prime Video
  • Showtime
  • Sling TV
  • SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite
  • Spotify
  • Stitcher
  • YouTube Music Premium
  • YouTube Premium
  • YouTube TV

Print Wikipost

Amex USA COVID-19 temporary bonuses

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2020, 5:22 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
The VZW situation had to be known by Amex, or they are just incompetent. They didn't care enough to make the benefit meaningful.
Old May 2, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cfabar1
The VZW situation had to be known by Amex, or they are just incompetent. They didn't care enough to make the benefit meaningful.
So are you suggesting the benefit should have been $30/mo for VZW customers, $20 for all others, and $0 for cell phone services that Amex doesn't consider cell phone services like Google Fi?

You can't be everything to everybody in every situation
Old May 2, 2020, 7:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
....They didn't care enough to make the benefit meaningful.
Verizon is offering $10.month to discourage credit card use. American Express is offering $20 per month, plus 1 point per dollar. How is that not meaningful?
Old May 2, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I am not suggesting an uneven credit for Verizon Customers.

I am suggesting if you are going to use a “credit system” make the credits wide and easy enough to use that they can be easily done. One of the two major carriers is going to charge you MORE to use this credit - both reducing the value of the credit, and increasing the chance you will end up paying more the first month (maybe more) that the Amex credit ends if you are not extremely careful. To me, it is too much of a hassle. A better way to do it would have been to include all forms of Streaming/Communications/Connectivity into one blanket credit of $40 a month. I am baffled as to why for example, Comcast, Cox, etc. could not be included in this benefit. My biggest complaint about the Amex Credits is that in recent years, other than the Saks Credit, they have not become natural and super easy to use due to restrictions.

That said, it may just be that I am not interested in the credits. Uber is useless right now. Uber Eats has, in my view, limited use. Products are overpriced, you have to pay additional service charges, delivery fees, etc. compared to just doing takeout, or in some cases by using the Restaurant’s app or website directly. Especially with many restaurants in my area moving to a curbside/contactless pickup anyways. The airline credit, after many changes made with the Delta benefit has also become very irrelevant to me.

I think it is a shame they did not add Grocery/Essential Stores multipliers like how they were added onto the Delta SkyMiles Card or the Hilton cards. I also think, though was not expecting, they should have temporarily done a pay with points promotion making the cash back value a little more attractive.

There may be some use that people are thrilled about these credits. I think what I may be learning, is that unless COVID-19 goes away, the Amex Platinum is not going to be the card for me much longer.
Old May 2, 2020, 9:18 am

I am somewhat surprised they didn't do anything to the actual earn rates on the Platinum card, but at the same time, it would take a lot of spend for an extra 1-2x to add up to $40 (the two credits each month), so this is probably a better value if you can use the credits.

There's always going to be someone for whom the credits are a bad deal for. If that's the case just cancel or downgrade when the fee comes up.

I think Amex has now made it even more clear that their position on the Plat card remains that it is a card for perks and not so much for earning tons of points. They are apparently not interested in adding any further multipliers to the card beyond the travel ones.
Adelphos and cuthroat like this.
Old May 2, 2020, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by kdm31091
I am somewhat surprised they didn't do anything to the actual earn rates on the Platinum card, but at the same time, it would take a lot of spend for an extra 1-2x to add up to $40 (the two credits each month), so this is probably a better value if you can use the credits.

There's always going to be someone for whom the credits are a bad deal for. If that's the case just cancel or downgrade when the fee comes up.

I think Amex has now made it even more clear that their position on the Plat card remains that it is a card for perks and not so much for earning tons of points. They are apparently not interested in adding any further multipliers to the card beyond the travel ones.
Amex’ position seem to be that if you are a points focused consumer, you need to hold a Gold or Green card. They they then try to “upgrade” customers from those products to Platinum despite a lower earn rate for most spend. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gold/Green fees increased eventually
Old May 2, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Has any Platinum cardholder had a direct communication from Amex about these bonus credits?

Other than sites like this how would the non FTalker/redditer/blog reader know?
Old May 2, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mhdena
Has any Platinum cardholder had a direct communication from Amex about these bonus credits?

from their press release?

https://about.americanexpress.com/pr...esses-get-most

And no, I have not received any email yet.
Statman, krazykanuck and lax01 like this.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Amex’ position seem to be that if you are a points focused consumer, you need to hold a Gold or Green card. They they then try to “upgrade” customers from those products to Platinum despite a lower earn rate for most spend. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gold/Green fees increased eventually
Green, Gold and Platinum existed before there were any rewards, and the product differentiation was based on benefits. This is still largely true, but American Express blurred the positioning some by adding rewards to Green that overlap with Gold. I don't know what their path forward is, but I do not expect it to include higher rewards on Platinum, except to the extent that specific merchant partners will directly bear the cost.
Adelphos likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
from their press release?

https://about.americanexpress.com/pr...esses-get-most

And no, I have not received any email yet.
I got this email from Chase for my Marriott Biz card April 30.

Special Offer: Now earn 6x points at grocery stores

Old May 2, 2020, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

yup, that one I got, too. But nothing from Amex... or Chase regarding the offers for my other cards.
Old May 2, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Nat'l Exec
If you have Verizon prepaid, there is no credit charge. This Amex credit is a huge win for me. Buy your phone outright, move to prepaid, and you’ll save a lot of money. Sure, Verizon doesn’t charge interest on the phone you’re paying off each month... but the plan is significantly more, so in the end you are.
Old May 2, 2020, 11:28 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester

I got a similar email for my Bonvoy AMEX card but it was sent from Marriott, not AMEX. Like others I have not received anything from AMEX and only know about the other new features from FT/friends.
Old May 2, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold

I did a chat, and got grounded here for copy / pasting exactly what apparently mia already posted. Apologies!

For me, I use Verizon and T-mobile.

I decided that I'd add Disney+ (that I do not really need but now I'm being curious, for $7 / month) and maybe Showtime to finish the last season of Homeland ($11 / month).
And I put all the other $20 on T-mobile since as others have mentioned, the autopay $10 credit is not removed when using a credit card, and there are no fees.
I was sure I used ACH because before, there used to be a fee for credit card, but whatever...

I don't really care about those benefits, I don't think I am too bothered by the annual fee of the card with 1 AU, but well, maybe I'll use it.
Old May 2, 2020, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by bryanb
Sadly, Verizon charges me $10 extra per month if I want to pay with a credit card. Their "autopay discount" requires the entire bill to be debited from a bank account each month. Had I known this, I would've never switched to them (and I'll be switching away as soon as my promotional period is up).

So if I charge my Verizon bill to my Amex Platinum, I'm only getting $80 in net benefit out of the mobile phone deal. (Not a deal breaker... but just trying to figure out the best move here.) Any other Verizon users figure out a workaround to maximize this benefit?
I have Verizon and Sprint and don't get an autopay discount with either because of the plans I have, but it should be possible to keep your cell phone bills on autopay to maintain your discount and also use your Amex cards to make prepayments toward future service.

I routinely prepay my cell phone bills when I am trying to meet a minimum spend bonus for credit cards and I think Verizon allows you to have up to $500 worth of credit on your account at one time. Verizon, Sprint, AT&T and TMobile (I have used all 4 at one time or another) seem happy to take whatever money you are willing to give them.

I really hope this works for you. Just go into your account under Payment options and it should allow you to remain on autopay and also make prepayments.

If your bill is normally $50 and you prepay $20, the autopay should just take $30 instead of the normal $50. If that doesn't work, I would recommend calling your provider and asking if they can help you make a onetime payment over the phone.

Autopay typically means that if you do nothing, the merchant will automatically take money out of your account when the bill is due. However, if you've already paid the bill early, autopay won't kick in. Again, these are just my observations, but hopefully this helps.

Last edited by diesteldorf; May 2, 2020 at 12:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.