Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2020, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
AMEX COVID-19 BONUS EXPERIENCE WIKI

Doctor of Credit database of services that work/don’t work for credits: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-benefits-workshop-which-merchants-code-for-streaming-wireless-shipping-credits-sortable-table

Please add services that have worked, or NOT worked, for you, along with any relevant notes. See the bottom of the wiki for information on what's supposed to be covered, per the Amex website.
Program T&Cs: https://about.americanexpress.com/si...n-TCs-FAQs.pdf

Wireless Phone Services (see below for rules)
  • WORKED
    • AT&T Prepaid - post 269
    • Greatcall - autopay, posted as WWW.GREATCALL.COM
    • T-Mobile Prepaid - post 265
    • Verizon Wireless Prepaid - posted as VZW PREPAID INTERNET OT
    • Visible - hardware purchase and monthly bill - both posted as VISIBLE LONE TREE
    • Google Fi - posted as wireless credit for many after May 22 (see posts from #385 onwards)
    • ACN Flash wireless - autopay, posted as ACN Flash wireless. Credit posted 24 hours after charge posted.
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • Google Fi - posted as streaming for some (plat - "GOOGLE *GOOGLE FI G.CO/HELPPAY# CA", pay.google.com, additional information shows "GAMES"); no credit on green (additional information shows "Axxxxxxx SELLER"). Not clear if this was a temporary miscoding since it posted as Wireless for several after May 22. UPDATE: GOOGLE FI still sometimes posts as streaming credit. Worked for me on September 14th 2020. Had already used the $20 wireless credit and paid another $20 go Google FI and it was refunded as streaming credit. My experience is that it works 50% of the time.
Streaming Services (see below for officially covered services)
  • WORKED
    • Amazon Music Unlimited - posted as AMAZON MUSIC
    • Amazon Kindle
    • Apple iCloud data storage - reimbursed as streaming subscription
    • Audible
    • Spotify
    • Disney Plus - posted as DISNEY PLUS ECOM
    • Netflix - posted as NETFLIX.COM
    • YouTube - movie rental, directly through YouTube
    • HBOMax
    • Google Play credits (only if purchased in Android Play app)
    • Google Play "In-Game Purchases" billed through google play
    • Google Domain Services
    • Sirius XM Annual Subscription
  • DID NOT WORK
    • Criterion Channel
  • YMMV
    • xxx
Shipping Services (Business Platinum)
  • WORKED
    • USPS.com - Forever Stamps 5/27/2020
    • USPS.com - gift shop.. toy trucks, etc 5/27/2020
    • UPS - Campusship label generated and scanned into UPS stream 5/22/2020 (have not yet tested label generated but not scanned into stream)
  • DID NOT WORK
    • xxx
  • YMMV
    • xxx

Wireless Credit Rules, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
To earn additional rewards, the purchase must be for monthly wireless telephone service charges and made directly from a wireless telephone service provider in the United States.

The following types of purchases are NOT included for additional Wireless rewards:
  • Purchases from authorized retailers, resellers or third party sellers
  • Purchases for hardware (e.g phones and accessories) or repair services
  • Bundled services offered by Wireless companies for TV, Internet and VoIP
  • VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) services
Examples of merchants that accept the Card and where you can earn additional rewards for Wireless services include:
  • AT&T
  • Sprint
  • T-Mobile
  • Verizon
*This is not a complete list.

Examples of merchants where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:
  • Authorized retailers or resellers (e.g. Spring Communications, Wireless Zone)
  • Superstores (e.g. Wal-Mart, and Target)
  • Electronics stores (e.g. Best Buy, Staples)
Streaming Services Covered, Per Amex Website (https://www.americanexpress.com/us/r...fo/retail.html)
  • Amazon Music Unlimited
  • Apple Music
  • Apple TV+
  • AT&T Now
  • Audible
  • CBS All Access
  • Disney+
  • ESPN+
  • Fubo TV
  • HBO Max
  • HBO Now
  • Hulu
  • iHeartRadio
  • Kindle Unlimited
  • Luminary
  • MLB.TV
  • NBA League Pass
  • Netflix
  • NHL.TV
  • Pandora
  • Prime Video
  • Showtime
  • Sling TV
  • SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite
  • Spotify
  • Stitcher
  • YouTube Music Premium
  • YouTube Premium
  • YouTube TV

Print Wikipost

Amex USA COVID-19 temporary bonuses

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Zorak
Agreed, although I wonder why it (and the similar Bonvoy Brilliant $300 credit) start in June and not May.

I've never had Google Fi count for AMEX Sync offers for wireless service providers, so my guess is it won't count here either I just looked at my most recent Fi payment and the label at the top is "Business Services - Internet Services"
Sad I made a $10 charge with Google Fi to my Green Card and will see if it credits. If not I'm tempted to call AMEX to ask. Doesn't hurt to ask since I could save quite a lot with Green+Plat.
notquiteaff and krazykanuck like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Yes. After the most recent "refreshes", these cards' annual fees increased:

Business Platinum card: $495 to $595

Platinum card: $450 to $550

Gold card: $195 to $250

Green card: $95 to $150
Don't forget because I can't:

Centurion card: $2500 to $5000
Old May 1, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I think AmEx has done more on its AF cards than Chase and other issuers. That is pretty impressive. AmEx had been playing with the streaming area for some time, so that seemed ready to go. Hopefully AmEx adds HBO Max to the list (in case it bills differently than HBO Now). I also think this allows them to avoid doing retention offers which is probably better in the long run.

Maybe AmEx will push some of these via Offers for other consumer cards like they have done in the past too.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:16 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Aaron01
Can this be stacked with cash back offers from AMEX Offers? Ex. "Spend $100 or more, get $5 back. Up to 4 times (total of $20)."
Can't guarantee it, but I'd guess likely yes. In the past I've successfully double-dipped between the Platinum Card Saks benefit and a department stores Amex offer, and this would be similar.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Thanks. I followed up by calling the retention line, and they confirmed all consumer platinum accounts (Schwab, Morgan Stanley, etc) do receive the new benefits.
​​​​​​Of course the other flavors are getting the same benefits. There isn't a single benefit that the vanilla plat gets that the Schwab/MS/etc don't. they are all Personal Platinum cards as far as the core benefits are concerned.
Old May 1, 2020, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by lax01
Curious if my AT&T Wireless / Uverse Internet bundle will qualify....guessing no based on past performance but we shall test it out

Already switched Netflix and Spotify over to Platinum card....
Do you know if the $20/month for streaming is aggregated to cover multiple charges (like your Netflix and Spotify if individually, both are <$20)? Thanks
Old May 1, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
This is nice. It would have been nice to see Platinum have some grocery/essentials multiplier added. The credits help, there are problems with autoPay as has been noted on other sites regarding Verizon.

My renewal month is November. If they do not enhance the offerings between now and then, I will likely downgrade to Gold or perhaps switch to Chase which seems to "get" the premium card market a little better right now.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Yipster
Do you know if the $20/month for streaming is aggregated to cover multiple charges (like your Netflix and Spotify if individually, both are <$20)? Thanks
No idea - will find out at the end of this month since Spotify is only $10 and Netflix is $17
Old May 1, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Any thoughts on how to maximize the $20 wireless benefit? Ben from One Mile at a Time wrote this:Select wireless telephone services would include purchases directly from merchants like AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. Generally the following wouldn’t qualify:
  • Bundled services offered by wireless companies for TV, internet and VoIP
Any thoughts?
Old May 1, 2020, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Yipster
My guess is that if both are <$20 and combined > $20, you will get full credit for the first one that posts in the month and partial credit up to the monthly total of $20 for the second service.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
absolutely useless for me. They should have lowered the fee for the cards. None of the bonus categories make any sense for me for my Plat or Marriott cards.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by cfischer
absolutely useless for me. They should have lowered the fee for the cards. None of the bonus categories make any sense for me for my Plat or Marriott cards.
Same. More half-assed credits doled out like a child's allowance each month.
Old May 1, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by jimcoddington
Any thoughts on how to maximize the $20 wireless benefit? Ben from One Mile at a Time wrote this:Select wireless telephone services would include purchases directly from merchants like AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. Generally the following wouldn’t qualify:
  • Bundled services offered by wireless companies for TV, internet and VoIP
Any thoughts?
... Paying your monthly cell phone bill (already paid $20 of my AT&T bill today on my Amex Platinum, the rest went to Delta Reserve for the MQM)
Old May 1, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by cfischer
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Same. More half-assed credits doled out like a child's allowance each month.
You don’t have any spending on restaurants, mobile service or streaming services?

The changes make the Amex Platinum net fee positive for me ($200 Uber, $100 Saks, $160 wireless, $160 streaming vs a $550 fee) this year. I didn’t expect them to actually add useful credits (I expected spend bonuses or something harder to actually earn.

I’m more disappointed in nothing offered for Amex Gold - it seems that Amex doesn’t like that card very much (they now promote the Green more often). I wouldn’t be surprised to see the card devalued in the next couple of years
Old May 1, 2020, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I’m more disappointed in nothing offered for Amex Gold - it seems that Amex doesn’t like that card very much (they now promote the Green more often). I wouldn’t be surprised to see the card devalued in the next couple of years
What would you have like to have seen offered on the Gold? They targeted all of their travel themed cards, and I'd argue the Gold isn't a mainly travel card, the 4x on restaurant/grocery and the $120 dining credit is the main appeal for most, I'd imagine. I also would think most people are getting heavy use out of that category already given the current situation.

As for the Platinum card it's nice to see them add something, but not much value add to me. Spotify is my only streaming service so $10/mo and Amex doesn't recognize Google Fi as a cell phone bill, so that's of no benefit to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.