Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Many commonly asked questions are answered in this post.

Reminder: You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, although several DPs show it works without waiting that long.

(Posters often refer to Southwest as WN which is its IATA code. The code SW is assigned to Air Namibia.)
As of late July 2019, direct gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed.
  • What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $109, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109. Given Amex's recent behavior in other areas, some feel there is real risk that Amex will decide to claw back this type of reimbursement someday.
  • If you buy a ticket where you use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it will be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your American Express or that of an authorized cardholder.n
  • As of 1/1/22 Gold card accounts do not qualify for airline credit.
Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

To read discussion from 2011-2019, click HERE
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:50 pm

Someone on TPG posted that you can use part of the credit on your airline from last year early this month and still switch to a different airline before 1/31 and use the remaining credit on the second airline, does that really work?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
lol, r u serious? hope u were being sarcastic...
I completely agree with the previous comment. The UI for the Wiki isn't conducive for folks easily finding the info they need. Guaranteed you put it up on the Wiki and you'll still have the same question posted here time and time again.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:39 am

DP:

1/3 - One-way ticket for $63.98, charged to Platinum
1/6 - $63.98 reimbursed
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, AAdvantage Gold, Southwest A-List Preferred, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Rokosz
Update 1/7: Transactions have posted, and in Incognito browser, meter is showing $52.04 remaining for Aspire airline credit. Still waiting on the credits, but I assume they'll post before close of business today or first thing tomorrow. I'll include another post after the fact if so and go ahead with P2's Travel Fund method (Plat and Gold) I feel pretty good about doing now along with the $100 on my Gold for a Travel Fund.
Update 1/8: Credits for each $98.98 credited on the Aspire.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:09 am

Interested DP: On 1/2 i bought a $98 flight from southwest (right after changing my airline selection on my gold card). Transaction posted on 1/2 and i never received the credit nor meter moved. Since i needed to close card by today, on 1/6 i bought two $49 flights on southwest at around 930a, and then canceled them yesterday (1/7) at 830a (transactions already posted on my gold card) and chose the refund to credit card option. Today i'm seeing the two $49 incidental credits AND the southwest refund on the card. So it kind of appears that i should have waited a bit to purchase the original tickets? Or it may be a bit more YMMV with higher dollar purchases.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:15 am

I've had AMEX Biz Plat the last 2 years. My annual fee just posted on 12/24, going up from $450 to $595, so I'm planning to cancel the card this month. But before canceling, I'd like to take advantage of the $200 airline credit for 2020 by booking $99 WN flights.

But if I get the credit this week and then cancel the card 2 weeks later to avoid paying the AF, am I risking clawbacks of the credit, or shutdowns of my other AMEX cards, or should I be safe if I've had it open and paid AF the past 2 years?

I know it's risky to play games with AMEX sign-up bonuses, but I don't see anything in the T&C that would be an issue for using this credit. But considering reports of other clawbacks they've been doing months later, I'm nervous about their new aggression and don't want to get in trouble with them. Any advice or DP?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by bradpitch92
Interested DP: On 1/2 i bought a $98 flight from southwest (right after changing my airline selection on my gold card). Transaction posted on 1/2 and i never received the credit nor meter moved. Since i needed to close card by today, on 1/6 i bought two $49 flights on southwest at around 930a, and then canceled them yesterday (1/7) at 830a (transactions already posted on my gold card) and chose the refund to credit card option. Today i'm seeing the two $49 incidental credits AND the southwest refund on the card. So it kind of appears that i should have waited a bit to purchase the original tickets? Or it may be a bit more YMMV with higher dollar purchases.
charge is not normally posted less than 24 hr; were u saying that had cancelled the booking while the charge was still pending?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
DP: Rebooked three flights on 1/4 resulting in 3x charges just under $65 on the Amex Aspire. All three credited yesterday.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
charge is not normally posted less than 24 hr; were u saying that had cancelled the booking while the charge was still pending?
it posted in less than 24 hours i believe. When i refunded it the charge through southwest, which had to be within 24 hours, the charge posted. I was suprised
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:19 am
jk2

Originally Posted by Feral24
did you get the credits too, or just the meter? Will ask wife to check her meter when I get home, doesn’t seem like you can check on mobile.
update: credit is posted today.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
1/4 Bought two <$100 Southwest tix on BizPlat
1/5 Posted to account
1/7 Reimbursed

Last year I waited and was one of the first people who got stuck with unreimbursed gift card. Decided to go ahead and get the Southwest credit ASAP in case this changes again.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:11 pm

1/1 Changed to WN on Gold and Plat and then purchased 2 $79 flights and 2 $20 early check in on Plat
1/2 Purchased 1 $98 flight on Gold and 2 $98 flights on CS Plat
1/5 Reimbursed for Gold and CS Plat purchases

Nothing yet on Plat. Probably should have waited a day after changing airlines.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler 718
I've had AMEX Biz Plat the last 2 years. My annual fee just posted on 12/24, going up from $450 to $595, so I'm planning to cancel the card this month. But before canceling, I'd like to take advantage of the $200 airline credit for 2020 by booking $99 WN flights.

But if I get the credit this week and then cancel the card 2 weeks later to avoid paying the AF, am I risking clawbacks of the credit, or shutdowns of my other AMEX cards, or should I be safe if I've had it open and paid AF the past 2 years?

I know it's risky to play games with AMEX sign-up bonuses, but I don't see anything in the T&C that would be an issue for using this credit. But considering reports of other clawbacks they've been doing months later, I'm nervous about their new aggression and don't want to get in trouble with them. Any advice or DP?
Not sure what you want us to say. I mean you say you don't see anything in the T&C that would be an issue for using this credit and it specifically says you can't use this credit for airline tickets in the T&C. Doesn't mean we don't use it but use it at your own risk.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by panerd
Not sure what you want us to say. I mean you say you don't see anything in the T&C that would be an issue for using this credit and it specifically says you can't use this credit for airline tickets in the T&C. Doesn't mean we don't use it but use it at your own risk.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking about the propriety of using the credit for < $100 flights that their system automatically reimburses. I was asking about using the credit for 2020 after the AF posted at the end of December and then cancelling the card 2 weeks after the credit posts. I know that AMEX has been cracking down on people gaming the system, and clawing back sign-up bonuses if you cancel the card to avoid paying the 1st year AF, and also clawed back from people who stacked the Biz Plat Dell with a 10% offer to actually make money on Dell purchases (I bought something in May for -$9, only to have it clawed back in November).

Hence, my question is whether their RAT aggression would make it risky to take advantage of the 2020 flight credit and then cancel to avoid the AF. On the other hand, I read plenty about people double/triple-dipping and doing exactly this, so perhaps it's established and safe and I should stop being so nervous?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:34 pm

Does the ticket purchased have to be in my name?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.