Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Many commonly asked questions are answered in this post.

Reminder: You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, although several DPs show it works without waiting that long.

(Posters often refer to Southwest as WN which is its IATA code. The code SW is assigned to Air Namibia.)
As of late July 2019, direct gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed.
  • What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $109, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109. Given Amex's recent behavior in other areas, some feel there is real risk that Amex will decide to claw back this type of reimbursement someday.
  • If you buy a ticket where you use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it will be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your American Express or that of an authorized cardholder.n
  • As of 1/1/22 Gold card accounts do not qualify for airline credit.
Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

To read discussion from 2011-2019, click HERE
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
I am referring to people who book a flight, cancel within 24 hours, and select refund to credit card. This allows them to basically keep the AMEX credit as a cash payment instead of going on a flight which is the intended use. IMO, that is pushing it too far.
The original purchase has been fully refunded to the AmEx account + airline credit received. Surprising that AmEx hasn't clawed back more of these.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tanic
The original purchase has been fully refunded to the AmEx account + airline credit received. Surprising that AmEx hasn't clawed back more of these.
I suspect these will be in the next round
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I don't believe we are talking about the same thing. I am referring to people who book a flight, cancel within 24 hours, and select refund to credit card. This allows them to basically keep the AMEX credit as a cash payment which is obviously NOT the intended use. IMO, that is pushing it too far.
Maybe I missed it, but I thought that approach fails to get the statement credit.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey
Maybe I missed it, but I thought that approach fails to get the statement credit.
We haven't had many data points on it, just several questions on if it works.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:19 pm

We haven't had many data points on it, just several questions on if it works.
Has anyone reported success with that? Seems to me the charge would go from pending to gone, never to get a statement credit. It might work if there were refundable fares <$100, and you cancel after the charge posts. I haven’t heard of such cheap refundable fares, though. Even nonretundable fares that cheap are exceptional.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhuey
Has anyone reported success with that? Seems to me the charge would go from pending to gone, never to get a statement credit. It might work if there were refundable fares <$100, and you cancel after the charge posts. I haven’t heard of such cheap refundable fares, though. Even nonretundable fares that cheap are exceptional.
If you wait until 22-23 hours after making the charge, and then request the refund, there is a chance the charge posts before the refund is received, which could result in the credit being triggered. I'm just guessing though. I've never tried it and never will as it falls outside of what I'm comfortable doing.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:32 pm

If you wait until 22-23 hours after making the charge, and then request the refund, there is a chance the charge posts before the refund is received, which could result in the credit being triggered. I'm just guessing though. I've never tried it and never will as it falls outside of what I'm comfortable doing.
It doesn’t seem like much of a chance, given all the data points above on the time between charges and posting.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
once many of this is detected, it'll be axed
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:20 pm

I wish people would be specific when making these types of posts that I see all the time.

Are you asking if you can cancel and get the refund back to your credit card OR if you can cancel and hold the funds for future travel use?
I was asking if I make the purchase would I get the refund from Wn which is yes (if I do it within 24hrs) but more importantly would I also get the amex airline credit.

Should I just buy a fully refundable fare to give the system more time to allow the charge to post etc than deal w the 24hr limitation.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by kaiotes
I was asking if I make the purchase would I get the refund from Wn which is yes (if I do it within 24hrs) but more importantly would I also get the amex airline credit.

Should I just buy a fully refundable fare to give the system more time to allow the charge to post etc than deal w the 24hr limitation.
don't believe any DP is available; test to see how it works & nicely share on here..

Last edited by danhouston; Jan 6, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by kaiotes
You can give it a shot, but I think the cheapest refundable ticket you’ll find will be way north of the highest dollar value ticket that has garnered a statement credit.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:00 pm

Do people book <$100 fares and cancel within 24 hours so that the flight just doesn't post but the airline credit gets triggered and therefore "free $x00"? Or do they cancel after 24 hours and receive SW travel voucher credit?

If the former, I can see why that is skirting dangerously close to AmEx RAT but if the latter, how would AmEx even know if you cancelled on the SW end?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by wallyt1215
If the former, I can see why that is skirting dangerously close to AmEx RAT but if the latter, how would AmEx even know if you cancelled on the SW end?
Not a lawyer nor have I read their T&Cs.

In my experience with Amex and this credit, for whatever reason, they haven't bothered to calibrate their systems to exclude ticket purchases under certain conditions. While this may not continue, there's little risk for adverse action, in my view. If Amex were so inclined, they'll just claw back the credit, reset the meter, and that's that. Likewise, the cardmember would have no grievance to complain since it's clearly stated that ticket purchases DO NOT qualify for the credit.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
Not a lawyer nor have I read their T&Cs.

In my experience with Amex and this credit, for whatever reason, they haven't bothered to calibrate their systems to exclude ticket purchases under certain conditions. While this may not continue, there's little risk for adverse action, in my view. If Amex were so inclined, they'll just claw back the credit, reset the meter, and that's that. Likewise, the cardmember would have no grievance to complain since it's clearly stated that ticket purchases DO NOT qualify for the credit.
Depends on how much times passes between when the credit was issued and when the claw back occurs.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:42 pm

Depends on how much times passes between when the credit was issued and when the claw back occurs.
Sure. Standard SOL would be a year upon discovery? Not a lawyer, but I'm sure we have plenty on FT who would could correct me if I'm wrong. Now, if it's fraud, then they could go back 3 years?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.