Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Many commonly asked questions are answered in this post.

Reminder: You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, although several DPs show it works without waiting that long.

(Posters often refer to Southwest as WN which is its IATA code. The code SW is assigned to Air Namibia.)
As of late July 2019, direct gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed.
  • What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $109, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109. Given Amex's recent behavior in other areas, some feel there is real risk that Amex will decide to claw back this type of reimbursement someday.
  • If you buy a ticket where you use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it will be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your American Express or that of an authorized cardholder.n
  • As of 1/1/22 Gold card accounts do not qualify for airline credit.
Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

To read discussion from 2011-2019, click HERE
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

I'm all for gaming the system as much as possible. But making an airfare purchase and cancelling to get the refund back on card while retaining the AMEX credit is really pushing it as far as I'm concerned.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
I'm all for gaming the system as much as possible. But making an airfare purchase and cancelling to get the refund back on card while retaining the AMEX credit is really pushing it as far as I'm concerned.
Do you think it’s pushing it if one actually flies on the <$100 flight that gets the Amex statement credit?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
Purchased three $69 tickets on 1/1 with wife’s Business Plat. Posted on 1/3. Entry is Southwest, Dallas. Meter is still at $200, no credits yet.
Happy news! Statement credits posted 1/5, though they are dated 1/4. Looks like nothing changed so far in 2020.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Do you think it’s pushing it if one actually flies on the <$100 flight that gets the Amex statement credit?
That's a legit credit as determined by the AMEX coding system. Nobody forced AMEX to code those for credits, they did that on their own.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
That's a legit credit as determined by the AMEX coding system. Nobody forced AMEX to code those for credits, they did that on their own.
What difference does it make then to Amex whether I fly on Southwest flight X or Y? Despite the terms of the statement credit, they are willing to give it for some flight purchases. I don’t think it’s abusive to book some flights but switch to others.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:57 am

Purchased 3 tickets less than $100 totalling slightly above $200 on AMEX plat on Jan 2.

Credit posted today.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by saro
Purchased 3 tickets less than $100 totalling slightly above $200 on AMEX plat on Jan 2.

Credit posted today.
did the purchased on your amex account have your ticket details? I also purchased a $98 ticket on Jan 2 and I haven't even had my meter move yet.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
My timeline:

- 1 Jan AM: Called AMEX to change my airline to WN, later that day my accounts show that I have selected WN.
- 2 Jan AM: Bought WN tickets for $103.xx (Gold), $90.xx (Plat), $99.xx (Plat), $24.xx (Plat)
- 5 Jan AM: Gold meter shows all $100 used; Plat meter shows $90.xx used. (Other Plat purchases are still listed as pending.)

I will update as things progress.
~ 6 Jan AM: Both meters (Plat & Gold) show credit as fully used; all credits have posted.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by macatak911
Allegedly systemwide travel voucher issuance system is down so don't cancel anything today until you hear it's working again
Anyone know if the system is working again? TIA!
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
a chat asking for a manual adj wouldn't hurt; worked for me before
Ok, yeah I'll give it a try. What do you think I should tell the chat as to what the charges were for? THanks! I'll report back.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:20 am

Going for triple dip.

Bought 2 $98 tickets for Southwest on 1/2
Credit shows up this morning on my Amex account for both tickets
Going to call and cancel the card and get AF reimbursed on Friday
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:59 am

I myself can confirm that the system is working as I just canceled and TFs are showing up.
flybyFIRE likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:18 am

FYI, MDW to DTW the last week of January has $99.98 flights.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

What difference does it make then to Amex whether I fly on Southwest flight X or Y? Despite the terms of the statement credit, they are willing to give it for some flight purchases. I don’t think it’s abusive to book some flights but switch to others.
I don't believe we are talking about the same thing. I am referring to people who book a flight, cancel within 24 hours, and select refund to credit card. This allows them to basically keep the AMEX credit as a cash payment which is obviously NOT the intended use. IMO, that is pushing it too far.

Last edited by Sandeep1; Jan 6, 2020 at 12:42 pm
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL
Without thinking I just did one transaction totaling $250.50 (Aspire) for me, wife, and kid. The receipt shows three separate payments but AMEX is showing a pending $250.50. Will these post individually <100 or for the total amount. Previous SW changes I've done with Chase have posted individually. Want to know if I need to refund to card before the 24 hours is up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.