Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Many commonly asked questions are answered in this post.

Reminder: You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, although several DPs show it works without waiting that long.

(Posters often refer to Southwest as WN which is its IATA code. The code SW is assigned to Air Namibia.)
As of late July 2019, direct gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed.
  • What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $109, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109. Given Amex's recent behavior in other areas, some feel there is real risk that Amex will decide to claw back this type of reimbursement someday.
  • If you buy a ticket where you use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it will be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your American Express or that of an authorized cardholder.n
  • As of 1/1/22 Gold card accounts do not qualify for airline credit.
Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

To read discussion from 2011-2019, click HERE
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:29 am

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mia
The 2022 balance does not carryover into 2023. Use it this week or lose it.
I think you mean the 2021 balance does not carry into 2022. I've already used my 2021 balance. I need to wait a few days until I have a 2022 balance I assume.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 10:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rtpflyer
I think you mean.....
My mistake. Yes, you can have transaction(s) reimbursed in January for your current airline, and still change to another airline later in January.
rtpflyer likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 11:23 am

I just booked a couple of sub-$100 flights and hope to see a credit in the next couple of days. My annual fee hit mid-December, meaning I have until mid-January to pursue a retention offer or cancel to get an AF refund.

Is it too risky to book a couple more flights in early January to maximize the $200 annual benefit prior to contacting retention?
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by anonim
Is it too risky to book a couple more flights in early January to maximize the $200 annual benefit prior to contacting retention?
It probably looks more sympathetic if you haven't used all your credits when you call. There's always a slight risk of CC company revenge; personally I think it's fine as long as you've had the card for 12+ months and haven't received a retention that requires keeping it longer.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:49 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion continues here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ly-2022-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.