Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Many commonly asked questions are answered in this post.

Reminder: You must enroll and select your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. http://www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice -or- "Call the number on the back of your Card to select a qualifying airline."

Wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, although several DPs show it works without waiting that long.

(Posters often refer to Southwest as WN which is its IATA code. The code SW is assigned to Air Namibia.)
As of late July 2019, direct gift card purchases are no longer reimbursed.
  • What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $109, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $109. Given Amex's recent behavior in other areas, some feel there is real risk that Amex will decide to claw back this type of reimbursement someday.
  • If you buy a ticket where you use travel funds to reduce the total charge to your Amex below $109, it will be reimbursed.
  • Fees can be reimbursed for any traveler. The name doesn't matter as long as the charge is on your American Express or that of an authorized cardholder.n
  • As of 1/1/22 Gold card accounts do not qualify for airline credit.
Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

To read discussion from 2011-2019, click HERE
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only (2020-21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by ajc1970
Meter still hasn't budged. Concerned a bit after seeing other people who purchased 1/1/2020 had their meter move on 1/5.
wife also not seeing any activity after buying two separate $68.98 flights on amex gold in evening of 1/1.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Feral24
wife also not seeing any activity after buying two separate $68.98 flights on amex gold in evening of 1/1.
She set WN as her airline, right? And did she change it the same day (1/1)? Or was it already WN since 2019?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by eatmangos
She set WN as her airline, right? And did she change it the same day (1/1)? Or was it already WN since 2019?
yes she changed from AA to WN, but only a few minutes before booking. Booked on two separate laptops via each of our personal southwest logins using her card for both. Both flights posted 3-4 days ago with full flight info as “southwest airlines dallas TX”

might consider cancelling these for the funds to use later and rebooking on mobile. I suspect maybe it was the time between selecting airline and booking...
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
yes she changed from AA to WN, but only a few minutes before booking. Booked on two separate laptops via each of our personal southwest logins using her card for both. Both flights posted 3-4 days ago with full flight info as “southwest airlines dallas TX”

might consider cancelling these for the funds to use later and rebooking on mobile. I suspect maybe it was the time between selecting airline and booking...
When I changed my airline selection via IM w/Amex, the rep told me that I needed to at least wait until I received the "confirmation" email from the system, confirming my new selection, before attempting to make a purchase. Following that guidance has been successful for me.

Regards
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
When I changed my airline selection via IM w/Amex, the rep told me that I needed to at least wait until I received the "confirmation" email from the system, confirming my new selection, before attempting to make a purchase. Following that guidance has been successful for me.

Regards
We did receive the confirmation email but maybe it was still too soon. Does it matter if we book using laptop or mobile?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:41 pm
jk2

Did you check the meter directly on "Benefits" page? I switched from AA to WN on 1/3, then made purchases on the same evening. Flights are posted on the account, Awardwallet says full $100 is available, but I went to check the meter on amex site and see that "you used $100 this year, come back next year".
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
Did you check the meter directly on "Benefits" page? I switched from AA to WN on 1/3, then made purchases on the same evening. Flights are posted on the account, Awardwallet says full $100 is available, but I went to check the meter on amex site and see that "you used $100 this year, come back next year".
did you get the credits too, or just the meter? Will ask wife to check her meter when I get home, doesn’t seem like you can check on mobile.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:56 pm
jk2

did you get the credits too, or just the meter? Will ask wife to check her meter when I get home, doesn’t seem like you can check on mobile.
no credit yet posted.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by bradpitch92
did the purchased on your amex account have your ticket details? I also purchased a $98 ticket on Jan 2 and I haven't even had my meter move yet.
Yes it does have details.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:41 pm

Last minute AMEX airline credit

For us last minute, up to the wire folks here's a DP on how it went down.

12/31/19 - Called to change airline (from AA to WN). A little push back on the change but persisted a bit based on longevity
12/31/19 - Booked 2 separate one way tixs to and from completely destinations ($91 and $94)
1/3/20 - Credit showed on statement
1/7/20 checked meter and it shows that I haven't used my 2020 credits.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by sparty07
FYI, MDW to DTW the last week of January has $99.98 flights.
Thanks for the heads up! 12/31 MDW->DTW
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:14 pm

DP:

12/18: Selected SW and booked a $102 ticket within 30 mins. A couple of hours later, I read posts here and thought I messed up, so I canceled the ticket and refunded back to CC. Then I booked another $99.
12/21: both $102 and $99 reimbursed.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flybyFIRE
Am I okay to cancel my <$100 ticket for travel funds if the ticket has posted, and the meter has moved, but the refund has not posted?
Yes. Maybe someone can add this to the wiki because this question is being asked too much lately.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Yes. Maybe someone can add this to the wiki because this question is being asked too much lately.
well, thats not going to help because the wiki actually requires extreme effort to move your mouse cursor to that section and use your eye balls to read the documentation. nobody has time for that. especially around december of every year. everyone has more important things to do with their lives vs reading such an extensive wiki. i would much rather just ask everyone to tell me all their wisdom and experience ASAP after I ask. that way, I can go on with my very glamorous F/J private jet instagram lifestyle and does not require me to spend countless minutes reading prior posts.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
well, thats not going to help because the wiki actually requires extreme effort to move your mouse cursor to that section and use your eye balls to read the documentation. nobody has time for that. especially around december of every year. everyone has more important things to do with their lives vs reading such an extensive wiki. i would much rather just ask everyone to tell me all their wisdom and experience ASAP after I ask. that way, I can go on with my very glamorous F/J private jet instagram lifestyle and does not require me to spend countless minutes reading prior posts.
lol, r u serious? hope u were being sarcastic...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.