Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX doing "mass" shutdowns.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik
Interesting comments on DOC
Saw that...but I just can't comprehend why they would need machine learning to figure out who their profitable and unprofitable users are...I guess its possible but that seems pretty over-kill (not to mention they had to have had an idea on user acquisition and retention cost prior to this whole event)

As for motive as to post something so long and elaborate: worthless internet points?

Last edited by mia; Nov 8, 2019 at 3:35 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:15 pm

Maybe the author of that post travelled back in time from 2027 to warn us.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lax01
Saw that...but I just can't comprehend why they would need machine learning to figure out who their profitable and unprofitable users are..
I feel like "machine learning" is just the buzzword of the last year or two. I hear it so much at work, I'm like guys, this is no different than what we did before this term was invented. But whatever.
GUWonder, lax01, Gasolin and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by lax01
As for motive as to post something so long and elaborate...
1. The entire "long and elaborate" post will be quoted verbatim over and over, becoming "trending". And if google says so, then it must be true.
2. The sheer volume of nonsense will displace useful and actionable info. When it becomes more difficult for service users to communicate, this automatically benefits service providers.
GUWonder and lax01 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by captaindomon
Agreed. Also, that is 1.6 Billion in Net Income, not Revenue. That's the good stuff - the money after they've paid all the COGS, Interest, expenses, etc. Amex is doing just fine financially.
Earnings growth matters. And planning for earnings growth and earnings resiliency are part and parcel of Amex’s financial situation, even as a decently profitable company (be it a company whose stock price has somewhat underperformed a rather major market index
over the 12-month period).
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Yeah, American Express, a credit card company, doesn’t want its customers to pay interest on balances or pay new annual fees
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:32 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
And those two engineers are elves working with secret magic.
lax01 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Yeah, American Express, a credit card company, doesn’t want its customers to pay interest on balances or pay new annual fees
Of course it does. The POT move and promotions on the “charge” cards were designed to increase and diversify revenue streams for it.

And Amex is clearly hooked to annual membership fees and been hiking them up substantially since they haven’t been able to get enough just with their lending activities via credit cards. It’s a publicly-traded company under normal pressure to deliver revenue and earnings growth. It’s also a company that wants to manage what kind of customers it has, and that means getting rid of some at times, even if it means losing a sliver of revenue ... an immaterial amount of revenue for a company its size.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Of course it does. The POT move and promotions on the “charge” cards were designed to increase and diversify revenue streams for it.

And Amex is clearly hooked to annual membership fees and been hiking them up substantially since they haven’t been able to get enough just with their lending activities via credit cards. It’s a publicly-traded company under normal pressure to deliver revenue and earnings growth.
Yeah, I was responding to the comments supposedly from
thr “RAT” that carrying a balance and applying for new cards would lead to shutdowns

I’m curious on how credit agencies will treat Amex charge cards going forward. My Amex Gold has a fairly large POT limit I was given at approval, and a lower interest rate than some of my other cards. I wouldn’t be surprised if many Green and Gold cardholders carry balances right off the bat. Yet these cards still don’t factor in utilization for credit agencies
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
What I don't understand with this long extract is why give out that much details on the RAT team or whatever. 2 engineers full time and 2 others with shared duties? Well ok, now we know it's a couple of guys with algorithms that have "learning" abilities. Great. Is that a way to say hey, I work at AMEX or know someone there, who knows something on that topic so trust me?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Why is the BS statement even taken seriously? Someone just wants to be important ... time to not go for the bait
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:40 am

To be clear, these are not comments BY DoC, they are comments by an anonymous commenter on DoC's site.
mia, Happy, sdsearch and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by blitzen
Why is the BS statement even taken seriously? Someone just wants to be important ... time to not go for the bait
its always interesting and funny to watch human behavior when potentially beneficial comments are shared. its typically met with total disbelief and hater talk as if someone made a extreme political or religious comment. if one doesnt believe it, then operate as normal. however, whats if its true? then what would we do differently or mitigate such risks if it became true?

i dont think the comment was BS at all because its something a company like amex would do or planning to do or already have done. what if someone told you WF employees had created millions of unauthorized accounts? no way. not a highly regulated bank. impossible. fake news.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
its always interesting and funny to watch human behavior when potentially beneficial comments are shared. its typically met with total disbelief and hater talk as if someone made a extreme political or religious comment. if one doesnt believe it, then operate as normal. however, whats if its true? then what would we do differently or mitigate such risks if it became true?

i dont think the comment was BS at all because its something a company like amex would do or planning to do or already have done. what if someone told you WF employees had created millions of unauthorized accounts? no way. not a highly regulated bank. impossible. fake news.
People are quick to deny what they don't understand. A lot of the words flew over a lot of people's head and all they can think of is Skynet.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by GundamWing01

there is no proof that is was written by someone with insider knowledge. You believe it and call me a hater. I act on the basis of facts. A company like Amex clawed back bonuses, shuts down accounts, does financial reviews,..... all of that doesn’t show if that poster had any inside knowledge.
i can write up something like this about the Chase shutdowns (and they are happening a lot more) with public known facts and speculation mixed .... still doesn’t mean I know what I am talking about.
8 people reported to DoC that they were shut down, panic is being peddled, a “whistleblower” appears saying it is much bigger ..... hysteria
84fiero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.