AMEX doing "mass" shutdowns.

Old Nov 4, 19, 3:32 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 131
AMEX doing "mass" shutdowns.

I found out when I logged on and saw 10+ cards suddenly shut down.

Not sure what is happening. I barely MS and only lost 55K in the self-referrals.

I just called them, and the reason isn't listed on the account yet. They said to call within 72 hours.

/r/churning is getting a flood of data points from people who have experienced the same thing today.
idkmybffjill is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 4:10 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,684
Self-referrals? Meaning getting points for referring yourself for a new Amex card using a pre-existing Amex account? I would have thought that the referral points arrangement was designed for existing customers getting actual new customers.
GUWonder is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 5:15 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 278
Maybe they shut you down because you have 10 Amex cards?
GarlicFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 5:34 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer View Post
Maybe they shut you down because you have 10 Amex cards?
Please be trolling.
viraldemos and GundamWing01 like this.
shipitkthx is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 5:47 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 506
The consensus seems to be that self-referrals might've been orat-least one filter for shutdowns.

But there are people who did self refer and didn't get the shutdown - so perhaps there was an extra filter like your MR being negative? OP were your MR negative also, or did you do any refund abuses (e.g. signed up for amex offer, got the benefit, but then refunded).
nomiiiii is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 5:47 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 663
Originally Posted by shipitkthx View Post
Please be trolling.
There's a trend on reddit for people having multiples of the same card getting shutdown.
sdsearch likes this.
phant0m is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 5:54 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 278
Originally Posted by shipitkthx View Post
Please be trolling.
No, I am serious. OP tried to game Amex. In reality, AMEX games you.
m.photog, ck8, CO-PLAT and 5 others like this.
GarlicFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 5:58 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 471
Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
The consensus seems to be that self-referrals might've been orat-least one filter for shutdowns.

But there are people who did self refer and didn't get the shutdown - so perhaps there was an extra filter like your MR being negative? OP were your MR negative also, or did you do any refund abuses (e.g. signed up for amex offer, got the benefit, but then refunded).
AMEX does these things in waves. While I have never self referred, I don’t own multiples of the same card, and I haven’t really MSed with AMEX I do have 8 AMEX cards presently and had another 15-20 AMEX cards over the past 10 years. Additionally I have bought $500 VGC from grocery stores (for use on some regular non-bonused spend) within the last 12 months. I do put between $25-$30k/yr of regular day to day spend on my AMEX cards. I will say I am slightly concerned.
jags86 is online now  
Old Nov 4, 19, 6:15 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 131
Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
The consensus seems to be that self-referrals might've been orat-least one filter for shutdowns.

But there are people who did self refer and didn't get the shutdown - so perhaps there was an extra filter like your MR being negative? OP were your MR negative also, or did you do any refund abuses (e.g. signed up for amex offer, got the benefit, but then refunded).
I had 400K MR balance. So no, not negative. And no, I rarely even use AMEX offers.

Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer View Post
Maybe they shut you down because you have 10 Amex cards?
They obviously had no problem collecting all the annual fee payments, so I don't think this is the reason.

Last edited by mia; Nov 5, 19 at 5:16 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
idkmybffjill is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 6:20 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by idkmybffjill View Post
I had 400K MR balance. So no, not negative. And no, I rarely even use AMEX offers.
400k is a tough one to swallow. Condolences.
absoluy is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 6:33 pm
  #11  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 38,913
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer View Post
Maybe they shut you down because you have 10 Amex cards?
Originally Posted by idkmybffjill View Post
They obviously had no problem collecting all the annual fee payments....
I daresay the median number of American Express cards per customer is one, and an algorithm designed to identify unprofitable customers could look at ten cards as a strong negative factor, but there would be other factors, such as spend beyond the sign-up bonus requirement, paying renewal fees, etc.
mia is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 6:33 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 4,989
Charles Schwab and Co, Inc. is going to be getting a lot of business today.
compddd, dmat and 355F1 like this.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 6:34 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 506
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer View Post
No, I am serious. OP tried to game Amex. In reality, AMEX games you.
This is not fair to OP or others who as you say "game the system". Using all benefits available up to the legal terms and conditions is simply following the terms and laws, it is not gaming.

Amex allowed one to refer oneself until recently (only last week did they update their terms to disallow it), they allow having multiple cards, they allow exclusively bonused spending and so on. If amex doesn't want us to do something - their team of lawyers should add it to their terms.
Drewm33 likes this.
nomiiiii is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 6:40 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 663
Originally Posted by nomiiiii View Post
This is not fair to OP or others who as you say "game the system". Using all benefits available up to the legal terms and conditions is simply following the terms and laws, it is not gaming.

Amex allowed one to refer oneself until recently (only last week did they update their terms to disallow it), they allow having multiple cards, they allow exclusively bonused spending and so on. If amex doesn't want us to do something - their team of lawyers should add it to their terms.
Sure you can exploit a loop hole all you want until they fix it but they are also within their rights to refuse doing business with you. Also your MR, in their terms, belong to them so you'd be SOL once they decide to cut ties.
downinit likes this.
phant0m is offline  
Old Nov 4, 19, 6:52 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 3,425
I do think that punishing people for self-referrals is stupid since it wasn't in the T&C. I never did it but I had considered it for a Gold card.
Gig103 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread