Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX doing "mass" shutdowns.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

AMEX doing "mass" shutdowns.

I found out when I logged on and saw 10+ cards suddenly shut down.

Not sure what is happening. I barely MS and only lost 55K in the self-referrals.

I just called them, and the reason isn't listed on the account yet. They said to call within 72 hours.

/r/churning is getting a flood of data points from people who have experienced the same thing today.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Self-referrals? Meaning getting points for referring yourself for a new Amex card using a pre-existing Amex account? I would have thought that the referral points arrangement was designed for existing customers getting actual new customers.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:15 pm

Maybe they shut you down because you have 10 Amex cards?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
Please be trolling.
viraldemos and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:47 pm

The consensus seems to be that self-referrals might've been orat-least one filter for shutdowns.

But there are people who did self refer and didn't get the shutdown - so perhaps there was an extra filter like your MR being negative? OP were your MR negative also, or did you do any refund abuses (e.g. signed up for amex offer, got the benefit, but then refunded).
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by shipitkthx
Please be trolling.
There's a trend on reddit for people having multiples of the same card getting shutdown.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by shipitkthx
Please be trolling.
No, I am serious. OP tried to game Amex. In reality, AMEX games you.
m.photog, ck8, CO-PLAT and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
The consensus seems to be that self-referrals might've been orat-least one filter for shutdowns.

But there are people who did self refer and didn't get the shutdown - so perhaps there was an extra filter like your MR being negative? OP were your MR negative also, or did you do any refund abuses (e.g. signed up for amex offer, got the benefit, but then refunded).
AMEX does these things in waves. While I have never self referred, I don’t own multiples of the same card, and I haven’t really MSed with AMEX I do have 8 AMEX cards presently and had another 15-20 AMEX cards over the past 10 years. Additionally I have bought $500 VGC from grocery stores (for use on some regular non-bonused spend) within the last 12 months. I do put between $25-$30k/yr of regular day to day spend on my AMEX cards. I will say I am slightly concerned.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

I had 400K MR balance. So no, not negative. And no, I rarely even use AMEX offers.

They obviously had no problem collecting all the annual fee payments, so I don't think this is the reason.

Last edited by mia; Nov 5, 2019 at 4:16 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
I had 400K MR balance. So no, not negative. And no, I rarely even use AMEX offers.
400k is a tough one to swallow. Condolences.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
They obviously had no problem collecting all the annual fee payments....
I daresay the median number of American Express cards per customer is one, and an algorithm designed to identify unprofitable customers could look at ten cards as a strong negative factor, but there would be other factors, such as spend beyond the sign-up bonus requirement, paying renewal fees, etc.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Charles Schwab and Co, Inc. is going to be getting a lot of business today.
compddd, dmat and 355F1 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:34 pm

No, I am serious. OP tried to game Amex. In reality, AMEX games you.
This is not fair to OP or others who as you say "game the system". Using all benefits available up to the legal terms and conditions is simply following the terms and laws, it is not gaming.

Amex allowed one to refer oneself until recently (only last week did they update their terms to disallow it), they allow having multiple cards, they allow exclusively bonused spending and so on. If amex doesn't want us to do something - their team of lawyers should add it to their terms.
Drewm33 likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:40 pm

This is not fair to OP or others who as you say "game the system". Using all benefits available up to the legal terms and conditions is simply following the terms and laws, it is not gaming.

Amex allowed one to refer oneself until recently (only last week did they update their terms to disallow it), they allow having multiple cards, they allow exclusively bonused spending and so on. If amex doesn't want us to do something - their team of lawyers should add it to their terms.
Sure you can exploit a loop hole all you want until they fix it but they are also within their rights to refuse doing business with you. Also your MR, in their terms, belong to them so you'd be SOL once they decide to cut ties.
downinit likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I do think that punishing people for self-referrals is stupid since it wasn't in the T&C. I never did it but I had considered it for a Gold card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.