Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX doing "mass" shutdowns.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Share price isn’t the same thing as financial condition.

For the rolling twelve months period, Amex’s share price has gone up about 13%. That’s not really better than the Nasdaq Composite index did over the same period. AXP performed worse with its share price than an ETF for that index.

And on the topic of Amex’s financial situation, I would say that customers maximizing the benefits usage of card referral, of sign-up-and-use bonuses, and of using the card portfolio to the max for purchase offers/credits/points-earning are probably amongst some of Amex’s most costly customers ..... with or without consideration for any given account holder’s accounts propensity of becoming part of Amex’s non-performing assets.
Amex earned 1.6 Billion last quarter. I still don't see your argument.

Also, concerning the shutdowns, I would rather see the self-referrers and the gamers excluded if the end product offered to everyone else is better.
Statman and akr1970akr like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by 84fiero
See this thread for the 1099s on referral bonuses only that came out this year (for tax year 2018).

AMEX sending out 1099s for referral bonuses
Thanks.

I guess we've been too busy actually *using* those points and traveling/planning the travel/etc., that I hadn't noticed this.
And I suspect there are other new issues with various charge cards that I'll need to catch up on...

Anyway, I couldn't quite figure out where it all stood. Is it indeed for "referrals" only? We've not done any of that (unfortunately, apparently).
Or is it also for either spending accrual points or sign up bonus points?

And what's the status of that question of "the points belong to Amex until 'used'"?
Imagine someone paying tax for them when issued, and then for whatever reason having Amex grab them back some time later...

Thanks again.

GC
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
At the moment there are about 14 posts on the Reddit thread with shutdown details

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...utdown_thread/

10 have made inputs to the data form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...cBmSw/viewform
and with 60+ posts in this thread alone (none, I think, actually reporting a case) perhaps the “mass” in the thread title should refer to hysteria.
84fiero and pallhedge like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
If you buy a lot of electronics, especially for a business, there's an annual cap to benefits like extended warranty per single card. Having multiple cards gives you peace of mind. That's just an example.
And Amex could see that as gaming ... circumventing a cap that Amex put in place.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
Maybe they shut you down because you have 10 Amex cards?
Curious, what is a reasonable amount of Amex cards? I have 6, I spend a good amount on four or five of them, the others I use for their intended purpose (like paying for hotels or airfare for the specified brands). No MS, no self referrals, etc. Many people have multiple Amex cards with no issue
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Curious, what is a reasonable amount of Amex cards? I have 6, I spend a good amount on four or five of them, the others I use for their intended purpose (like paying for hotels or airfare for the specified brands). No MS, no self referrals, etc. Many people have multiple Amex cards with no issue
Just one card is enough, if that one card is an Optima Platinum.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blitzen
And Amex could see that as gaming ... circumventing a cap that Amex put in place.
Yeah, but they don't know that's the reason I'm holding those cards. Especially because I haven't even used those benefits on most of them.

I think people are overanalyzing this lol
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Since some of those points in accounts got invalidated by Amex, does that mean that some of those 1099-hit people from the 2018 tax year should file an amendment to get a refund of sort for the taxes paid on income that Amex recalled?
Logically you would think that they ought to be able to. Which gets to the whole inconsistency of the 1099s. I'm not an accountant or lawyer but it doesn't seem right to have to pay tax on something, e.g., MR points, that are explicitly not your property and bring you no actual value until you actually redeem them. I believe Citi only sends 1099s on bank-account-earned TYPs based on points redemptions, which makes sense at least.

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Thanks.

I guess we've been too busy actually *using* those points and traveling/planning the travel/etc., that I hadn't noticed this.
And I suspect there are other new issues with various charge cards that I'll need to catch up on...

Anyway, I couldn't quite figure out where it all stood. Is it indeed for "referrals" only? We've not done any of that (unfortunately, apparently).
Or is it also for either spending accrual points or sign up bonus points?

And what's the status of that question of "the points belong to Amex until 'used'"?
Imagine someone paying tax for them when issued, and then for whatever reason having Amex grab them back some time later...

Thanks again.

GC
Yes only for referrals, not for sign-up bonuses, other spending bonuses, or redemptions.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Yeah, but they don't know that's the reason I'm holding those cards. Especially because I haven't even used those benefits on most of them.

I think people are overanalyzing this lol
little information = lots of speculation

even if they don’t know why you have several of the same cars it still might trigger an algorithm as it is a red flag, unwanted behavior,...... who knows
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:49 pm

Yeah, technically I got 18 emails about the shutdown, so one for each card. 3 Platinums, 2 Golds, 2 Biz Plats, etc. Once again, I'm not sure why this should be a problem.
you said 10+ are shut down (look like the exact number is 18). Were all Amex cards shut down or did some survive? Guess not but like to get as much real info as possible. Did you get a sign on bonus on any of the “duplicate” cards? I could self refer myself without lifetime language recently - didn’t do it but it was possible.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO multiple business cards should be OK if the person operates multiple businesses, but I've always thought that it's a bad idea to apply for a business card if you don't have a genuine business of some sort.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by kdm31091
If you willingly exploit loopholes or do obviously gray area things like self referrals it’s not exactly shocking that shutdowns occur. Banks are cracking down more and more on gaming.

If you choose to take the risk that’s fine, but don’t be surprised if and when it bites you in the behind.
AMEX could also (easily) view purchasing gift cards for reimbursement with their airline incidentals credits on the Plat/Gold to be gaming.

If AMEX were to instantly shut down the hundreds, if not thousands, of FTers who exploited that loophole for years I doubt we'd see some of these same self-righteous "that's what you get" responses. This forum would go into meltdown.
dw, GUWonder, Happy and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Logically you would think that they ought to be able to. Which gets to the whole inconsistency of the 1099s. I'm not an accountant or lawyer but it doesn't seem right to have to pay tax on something, e.g., MR points, that are explicitly not your property and bring you no actual value until you actually redeem them. I believe Citi only sends 1099s on bank-account-earned TYPs based on points redemptions, which makes sense at least.

Yes only for referrals, not for sign-up bonuses, other spending bonuses, or redemptions.
Chase sent out 1099s on referral bonus as well, and made errors in the amount - they even sent 1099 on a $5 statement credit for signing up paperless statement as being $500. It took Chase several months, long passed the filing deadline, to reissue corrected 1099's. It was a major fiasco in Spring to many Chase cardholders.
84fiero likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
. This forum would go into meltdown.
Absolutely 100% True
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
AMEX could also (easily) view purchasing gift cards for reimbursement with their airline incidentals credits on the Plat/Gold to be gaming.

If AMEX were to instantly shut down the hundreds, if not thousands, of FTers who exploited that loophole for years I doubt we'd see some of these same self-righteous "that's what you get" responses. This forum would go into meltdown.
While I agree in principle I agree that self referring has obviously a risk attached to it. Everyone knows they are using the system in a way the company didn’t intended it to be used.... this hobby always has risks (see Chase shut downs for applying for too many cards etc.).
too little information to say what is what ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.