Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX doing "mass" shutdowns.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I have 5 Amex credit cards and just tried to apply for the DL Reserve. Denied due to the limit. Most of the 5 cards were applied for less than 12 months away. If I close one account down to open the new Reserve, will that be a case to shutdown?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I have 5 Amex credit cards and just tried to apply for the DL Reserve. Denied due to the limit. Most of the 5 cards were applied for less than 12 months away. If I close one account down to open the new Reserve, will that be a case to shutdown?
I wouldn't risk it -- even if they don't shut down your accounts, you are at very high risk of a bonus clawback and denial of future bonuses. Please see details here and I hope this helps, if not great news. I certainly wouldn't risk an Amex relationship for some skypesos!!
Amex USA terms now penalize:abuse,misuse,gaming;1st yr downgrade/close;leaked offers.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Many people (successfully) call in to close one of their five existing AMEX credit cards and are then approved for the one in "limbo", which is the situation in which you find yourself.

On the other hand, you have apparently opened five AMEX cards in the last year....? Might be asking a bit much for another.

I doubt you'd be shut down but you may be denied the sign-up bonus. Only one way to find out.....
Old Nov 23, 2019, 3:03 am

I think I'm fairly safe, to this point, because I have a strong credit score, have a Plat, Bonvoy Brilliant, and 3 Hiltons: Aspire, Ascend, and Honors. However, being military and not paying annual fees makes me wonder if I should follow through on upgrading the lower two Hilton cards. I think until I hear about account closures for that alone, it may be worth the risk. Aspire is worth too much not to try.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No.

But you are risking a claw back on the signup bonus on the closed card since closing a card before 12 months are up, is a listed reason for losing the bonus, as well as being deemed an unwanted customer - hence the pop up warning in your next application. Not sure why after 2 years or so the clearly worded clauses are in the T&Cs together countless DPs on the consequences, people still do not think about such.

Also since all 5 AMEX cards were open within the past 12 months, your profile does not look desirable in their system - hence there are hidden risks down the road.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Many people (successfully) call in to close one of their five existing AMEX credit cards and are then approved for the one in "limbo", which is the situation in which you find yourself.

On the other hand, you have apparently opened five AMEX cards in the last year....? Might be asking a bit much for another.

I doubt you'd be shut down but you may be denied the sign-up bonus. Only one way to find out.....
Originally Posted by Happy
No.

But you are risking a claw back on the signup bonus on the closed card since closing a card before 12 months are up, is a listed reason for losing the bonus, as well as being deemed an unwanted customer - hence the pop up warning in your next application. Not sure why after 2 years or so the clearly worded clauses are in the T&Cs together countless DPs on the consequences, people still do not think about such.

Also since all 5 AMEX cards were open within the past 12 months, your profile does not look desirable in their system - hence there are hidden risks down the road.
One card (everyday) is being kept permanently, 2 others were because of special no lifetime offers I got.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:10 am

Wonder if I raise my risk chances by requesting Retention Offer on AMEX Gold Biz card (2 self-referrals are the only gaming I've done)....or just pay the AF and keep it another year ... just quietly cancel the card and hope that helps me stay under any AI/machine learning algos!

Decision! Decisions!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.