Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Canadian International Airline Program (IAP) 2018 - Platinum

Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First

Hi all!
I'd like to make a new thread for the Canadian version of the IAP. I've searched and it seems they are all over the place and some of them are outdated. As we all know most of the deals in the US are much better than in Canada, not much we can do there.
One of the saddest thing for AMEX Canada is that Air Canada/Aeroplan is not even part of the IAP! Though they are transfer partners for points which is different.

Anyways please post your experiences with the Program and deals you've gotten.

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...e-program.html

Here are the current benefits as of July 2018

Eligibility: Basic & Supplementary Platinum Cardmembers

Discounted Companion Tickets
When you use your Platinum Card to purchase an eligible ticket in first class or business class, youll receive a discounted ticket for your companion to travel with you (offer excludes service charges, taxes, and fuel surcharges). This special benefit has been arranged with some of the worlds finest airlines.
Participating airlines:
  • AUSTRIAN AIRLINES
    • Applicable Class: Business
  • BRITISH AIRWAYS
    • Applicable Class: First and Business
  • BRUSSELS AIRLINES
  • CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS
    • Applicable Class: First, Business, and Premium Economy
  • DELTA AIR LINES*, AIR FRANCE , KLM ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES, ALITALIA
    • Applicable Class: Business *Eligible for international flights only. Call Platinum Card Travel Service for route details.
  • JAPAN AIRLINES
  • LUFTHANSA
    • Applicable Class : First and Business
  • QATAR AIRWAYS
    • Applicable Class: First, Business, Economy
  • SWISS INTERNATIONAL AIR LINES
Terms and conditions apply. Find out about special last-minute offers, plus book your flights using your Platinum Card by calling Platinum Card Travel Service at 1-800-263-1616.

Complimentary Upgrades
Travel in superior comfort and arrive refreshed. Enjoy complimentary upgrades from Business to First Class when travelling to destinations around the world. Appreciate roomier seats, premium service and more relaxing journeys. Simply use your Platinum Card to purchase an eligible ticket in specified classes.

Participating airlines:
    • Applicable Class: First Class Upgrade from Business
  • ETIHAD AIRWAYS
    • Applicable Class: First Class Upgrade from Business
Find out about special airfares and last-minute offers, plus book your flights using your Platinum Card by calling Platinum Card Travel Service from Amex Canada Inc.* at 1-800-263-1616.

Special AirfaresWhether you are jetting off for a romantic weekend abroad or taking a holiday, you can save with special discounted airfares through the International Airline Program. All you have to do is use your Platinum Card to purchase an eligible ticket in specified classes through Platinum Card Travel Service. Discount varies by airline and class of service.
Participating airlines:
  • AIR NEW ZEALAND
    • Applicable Class: Business, Premium Economy, Economy
  • AUSTRIAN AIRLINES
  • BRITISH AIRWAYS
    • Applicable Class: First, Business, World Traveller Plus, and Economy
  • BRUSSELS AIRLINES
  • CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS
  • DELTA AIR LINES*, AIR FRANCE, KLM ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES, ALITALIA
    • Applicable Class: Business and Premium Economy *Eligible for international flights only. Call Platinum Card Travel Service for route details.
  • EMIRATES
  • ETIHAD AIRWAYS
    • Applicable Class: First, Business and Economy
  • JAPAN AIRLINES
  • LUFTHANSA
    • Applicable Class: First, Business and Premium Economy
  • WESTJET
    • Applicable Class: Premium Economy and Economy
Terms and conditions apply. Find out about special last-minute offers, plus book your flights using your Platinum Card by calling Platinum Card Travel Service at 1-800-263-1616.

* Eligible for international flights only. Call Platinum Card Travel Service for route details.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:01 pm

Thanks for starting the thread. I have found the Canadian IAP to be completely useless in the past few years.

Many years ago when this benefit was introduced, it was one of the best perks as the full flexible J fare was the only thing available on many routes. I have used this benefits many times. Progressively over time, airlines introduced discounted business class fares (P, Z and the like) on many routes. In many situations, buying 2 P tickets are often cheaper than buying a full J with a free companion ticket. The caveat is the less flexible terms and conditions of the discounted business class fares.

The Canadian IAP invariably required the cardholder to purchase a full flexible J ticket. The discount does not apply to the cheaper, discounted business class fares.

For the past few years, I have not found this benefit to be worthwhile as each time, it worked out better by buying 2 discount business class tickets instead.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jul 19, 2018 at 8:39 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:46 pm

got curious and decided to compare, i know there are a lot of possible combinations with destinations, time of travel, time of purchase, capability of agent, etc... so take those into account but this was my experience. Note that i placed the call today, July 17, 2018.

Round trip business class, CX, YYZ-MNL, Dec 26, 2018-Jan10,2019- CAD$6,525 vs from Cathay Website - CAD$6,575 ($50 bucks wow)

Also note that the agent i spoke with did not seem knowledgeable enough to navigate their offerings and wanted me to specify which airline i wanted and that it is not necessarily the cheapest.. if we wanted we could check each airline to find out.. so this is probably a system bottle neck too...
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
I called them in January for a Premium Economy fare on Air France. It was an A fare I think and I got $10 off.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Oh this is not starting well.
I'm currently in Germany and will try to call the German Platinum, hopefully they can still assist me with my Canadian AMEX Plat without needing to call the Canadian number.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by BRAISKI
Oh this is not starting well.
I'm currently in Germany and will try to call the German Platinum, hopefully they can still assist me with my Canadian AMEX Plat without needing to call the Canadian number.
I think you have to call the Canadian PTS no. I have checked from time to time when I need to book a trip and without fail, every time, it ended up with the agent advising me to book a P fare if I can live with the restrictions.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: AC, AS, BA Silver/OW Sapphire, DL, SQ/*A Silver, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
AMEX Plat Canada & IAP

Hi all,<br />With regards to the Canadian Amex Plat, could anyone share any experience with the program post-2017 revamped? Do you find the benefit of the international airline program to be substantial? How frequently and what percentage of discounts do you get on your PE/BIZ/First bookings? <br /><br />Do not find much in terms of feedback re the program, as this item seems a near taboo when discussing the card...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
I seem to get about 5% for Japan Airlines Business Class.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:58 pm

Interesting to note, but this came with my statement yesterday:
International Airline Program Changes

The International Airline Program has changed. Effective immediately, the International Airline Program now offers discounted base fares for qualifying international First, Business and Premium Economy class tickets on participating airlines when you book with Platinum Travel or online at americanexpress.ca/travel. Discounts are available to the Cardmember and up to seven additional passengers when travelling together on the same itinerary. This benefit replaces any existing benefits that were previously available under the International Airline Program.
Participating airlines and benefits are subject to change without prior notice. Other conditions apply. If you have any questions about the International Airline Program or participating airlines, please call Platinum Travel Service 1-800-263-1616 or visit americanexprss.ca/platinum-iap.

Bolding mine. I imediately went to try and dummy book some Business Class flights online through the Amex Travel portal from Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto to a variety of places in Europe and for the life of me I could not find how or where the IAP special fares would show up. Either we still need to call in, or this is just more smoke and mirrors being tossed around by Amex for its Platinum cardholders.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Vasco
Interesting to note, but this came with my statement yesterday:
Bolding mine. I imediately went to try and dummy book some Business Class flights online through the Amex Travel portal from Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto to a variety of places in Europe and for the life of me I could not find how or where the IAP special fares would show up. Either we still need to call in, or this is just more smoke and mirrors being tossed around by Amex for its Platinum cardholders.
It is highlighted if there is a participating airline for the route and date that you want to travel.

Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
It is highlighted if there is a participating airline for the route and date that you want to travel.

Glad you found one! Despite being participants, every airline/date combination I tried to get to Rome or Paris from YYZ/YOW/YUL with BA, Air France, KLM or Alitalia in Business Class came up with nothing.

Did you perceive it to be any better value than booking directly through the airline, or via another travel site?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Vasco
Glad you found one! Despite being participants, every airline/date combination I tried to get to Rome or Paris from YYZ/YOW/YUL with BA, Air France, KLM or Alitalia in Business Class came up with nothing.

Did you perceive it to be any better value than booking directly through the airline, or via another travel site?
If you want that particular itinerary on that particular date, it is about $300 cheaper in total on a roundtrip than buying over NZ or Expedia web sites. Therefore, you may say that it's a "good" deal.
UA does not participate in the IAP on this particular search but they have P fare YYZ-IAH-SYD-LAX-YYZ at about $100 more expensive, but only 1 stop instead of 2 stops. I would have paid $100 more and booked UA instead of NZ.
Based on what I read here, the discount available to Canadian IAP is nowhere near those with U.S. based Platinum cards departing from the U.S.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: Free Agent
n=1 but today I got the IAP banner on a domestic flight in WCan... for WestJet. I was looking at a flight-hotel-car bundle when it appeared.
Going back in and checking flight only shows IAP saves about $10 on the domestic flight. the banner was very visible
For fun, checked an upcoming international flight on AC and the AMEX price was about $100 less than google flights/AC but did not indicate the IAP banner.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AC 75K, HIlton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by canolakid
n=1 but today I got the IAP banner on a domestic flight in WCan... for WestJet. I was looking at a flight-hotel-car bundle when it appeared.
Going back in and checking flight only shows IAP saves about $10 on the domestic flight. the banner was very visible
For fun, checked an upcoming international flight on AC and the AMEX price was about $100 less than google flights/AC but did not indicate the IAP banner.
Same here - looking to purchase a flight and checked the Air Canada Site, Westjet, then Amex Travel and get the IAP banner for Westjet flights...however the price is exactly the same, so I'm wondering what the actual IAP benefit is?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:13 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by canolakid
... IAP saves about $10 on the domestic flight. ....
IAP should not apply to domestic or economy cabin flights.

Discounts available on the base fare for qualifying International First, Business, and Premium Economy Class tickets at participating airlines when you book with Platinum Travel or online at American Express Travel and pay in full with your American Express Card.
Perhaps they have a separate agreement with Westjet, distinct from IAP?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.