Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX doing "mass" shutdowns.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
AMEX could also (easily) view purchasing gift cards for reimbursement with their airline incidentals credits on the Plat/Gold to be gaming.

If AMEX were to instantly shut down the hundreds, if not thousands, of FTers who exploited that loophole for years I doubt we'd see some of these same self-righteous "that's what you get" responses. This forum would go into meltdown.
Maybe. I think there is a bit of a difference between collecting reimbursements for gift cards and self-referring. I am buying a gift card with a credit card Amex provided me for the purchase of buying stuff... such as giftcards, Is it really my fault that Amex’ implementation of the reimbursement algorithm and their T&C are not in sync? Would Amex prefer for me to use a Chase card every time I buy something from an airline (such as a cheap ticket) to avoid running afoul of their rules? How many non-FTers who didn’t even pay attention to the reimbursement rules would be caught by this? On the flip side, does anyone think that self-referrals happen accidentally, ever?

(and no, I am of course not claiming that I accidentally bought giftcards. And yes, there would be a meltdown, absolutely)

I suspect Amex ultimately isn’t just looking at one criteria when deciding to shut down an account.

Pigs, hogs...
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
If you buy a lot of electronics, especially for a business, there's an annual cap to benefits like extended warranty per single card. Having multiple cards gives you peace of mind. That's just an example.
But that's exactly what Amex could consider gaming. They want you to have a cap, but you're getting multiple cards to avoid their cap. I don't how this could be construed as not annoying Amex.
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
Yeah, but they don't know that's the reason I'm holding those cards. Especially because I haven't even used those benefits on most of them.

I think people are overanalyzing this lol
They may not "know" for a fact, but in general they can make a good guess given particular spends patterns on those cards (not necessarily your spend patterns, but some people's).

For example, if someone has 3 cards that have a $50k cap on whatever, and they spend $49.9k on the first card then sock drawer it, then spend $49.8k on the second card then sock drawer it, and then move on the third card, why would it not be obvious to Amex (once they notice that) that this is almost certainly "gaming" to overcome the cap?

So it may not be the pure fact that someone holds multiple cards, but the details of what they do with those multiple cards, that's responsible for so many people who got shutdown recently having had multiples of certain Amex cards. And/or it may be how they got those multiple cards, since all of those people also admitted to self-referrals. Could it be that Amex is most upset about self-referrals to get multiple cards, rather than just self-referrals in general? Or is Amex just upset that someone did both self-referrals and had multiple cards? No one that I've seen talking about their shutdown has yet detailed the relationship (if any) between their self-referrals and their multiple cards.

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 5, 2019 at 10:35 pm
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
They may not "know" for a fact, but in general they can make a good guess given particular spends patterns on those cards (not necessarily your spend patterns, but some people's).

For example, if someone has 3 cards that have a $50k cap on whatever, and they spend $49.9k on the first card then sock drawer it, then spend $49.8k on the second card then sock drawer it, and then move on the third card, why would it not be obvious to Amex (once they notice that) that this is almost certainly "gaming" to overcome the cap?

So it may not be the pure fact that someone holds multiple cards, but the details of what they do with those multiple cards, that's responsible for so many people who got shutdown recently having had multiples of certain Amex cards. And/or it may be how they got those multiple cards, since all of those people also admitted to self-referrals. Could it be that Amex is most upset about self-referrals to get multiple cards, rather than just self-referrals in general? Or is Amex just upset that someone did both self-referrals and had multiple cards? No one that I've seen talking about their shutdown has yet detailed the relationship (if any) between their self-referrals and their multiple cards.
There have been enough datapoints of people who self-referred and did not multiple copies of the same card.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
AMEX could also (easily) view purchasing gift cards for reimbursement with their airline incidentals credits on the Plat/Gold to be gaming...
In case you're unaware, AmEx closed that loophole, but did not shut down any customers for having used it. Perhaps the difference in attitude is due to the bank's heavy promotion of those benefits. So many of us feel entitled to get at least something out of it.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But that's exactly what Amex could consider gaming. They want you to have a cap, but you're getting multiple cards to avoid their cap. I don't how this could be construed as not annoying Amex.
Well, if actually faced with the question the easy response would be: my option is to continue to use American Express for these purchasing using multiple cards or once I max out the benefit on a single card move my purchases to another company. And if I’m going to move my purchases to another company maybe I should move all of my purchases that way.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by MaxVO
In case you're unaware, AmEx closed that loophole, but did not shut down any customers for having used it. Perhaps the difference in attitude is due to the bank's heavy promotion of those benefits. So many of us feel entitled to get at least something out of it.
Buying Airline gift cards is a normal thing to do and isn't against the T&C. The only reason it was reimbursed was a flaw on the Amex side so nothing you can blame the customer for.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by jags86
Well, if actually faced with the question the easy response would be: my option is to continue to use American Express for these purchasing using multiple cards or once I max out the benefit on a single card move my purchases to another company. And if I’m going to move my purchases to another company maybe I should move all of my purchases that way.
Go right ahead. But the other company might have caps or other restrictions too. Move your spend is your right but trying to circumvent card issuer restrictions is in the grey area and at your own risk.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
So in the Reddit thread, they updated the "survey" form and spreadsheet, including asking for those who input to verify their response in comments to weed out fakes and just as important, asking for DPs from those who did not (yet) get shut down despite having some potential factors. Here is the latest:

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...heet/?sort=new

Basic data analysis
As of ~4:30 AM EST, the sheet had the following responses after deleting unverified responses:

77 verified responses total, of which 8 were shutdowns.

The relative risk factors were as follows:
MS: 50% shutdown, 52% non-shutdown

Self refer: 87% shutdown, 67% non-shutdown

Self refer clawback: 87% shutdown, 40% non-shutdown

Multiple Pay Over Time: 12% shutdown, 17% non-shutdown

FR: 25% shutdown, 13% non-shutdown

Multiple of same card: 62% shutdown, 35% non-shutdown

NAF Hilton: 25% shutdown, 17% non-shutdown

At this point, it seems likely that ~10% of the survey population received an Amex shutdown.

The major factors determining shutdown (statistically significant difference between two groups) are self refer clawback and multiple of same card. These are however neither necessary nor sufficient, and there may be mitigating factors which would preclude a shutdown (or perhaps they are planning another soon).

Factors that are unlikely to be related to the shutdown include MS, multiple POT, and NAF Hilton.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
What is multiple pay over time?
Adelphos likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:33 am

Mass Shutdowns = 8 (so far)
84fiero and pallhedge like this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Why would having the NAF Hilton card cause a shutdown?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Why would having the NAF Hilton card cause a shutdown?
It isn't: Factors that are unlikely to be related to the shutdown include MS, multiple POT, and NAF Hilton.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by blitzen
Mass Shutdowns = 8 (so far)
So 8 total shutdowns among a population that has pushes the envelope when it comes to maximizing benefits - is it safe to assume these "mass shutdown" events impact basically a negligible percent of cardholders?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:00 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
The acronyms are kind of getting out of hand here. What is NAF (Hilton)? Never mind this should make the acronyms clearer (from the survey):
Manufactured spending in bonus categories
Multiple pay-over-times
Self-referrals
Self-referrals clawed back
Financial reviewed
Reset spend limits (credit cycling)
Multiple of the same card (excluding plat flavors)
No AF Hilton Aspire

but, why would POT (pay over time) ever be a reason for Shutdown? Presumably Amex gets interest out of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.