Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jiaogulan
I'll probably give the Hilton Aspire a go soon. Not expecting to get the bonus, since I JUST got the pop-up on the Hilton Business card, but I figure it's worth a try. Maybe for a high AF card they'll let me through? Not holding my breath, though.
I doesn't seem like they factor high AF in. I got my first popup on the SPG Luxury card, which just as high an actual AF as the Aspire card, and with fewer credit offsets so an even higher "net" AF than the Aspire card.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I opened 3 credit cards with Amex in 2017, one in 2018, and 2 charge cards in 2017. I canceled one card a week ago and was approved for my 6th credit card in 2 years without the popup. I do spend a good amount of money with Amex though. Usually $2-3k a month even after bonuses are over, so I assume that's why they didn't flag me.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:57 pm

My wife is 7/24 with 2 Chase Business cards. She applied for the 60K Delta AMEX bus card tonight and before they ran her credit they came back with a message saying she would not be eligible for the bonus. Of course we cancelled the application.

She has one open AMEX card, a NAF Hilton that she opened about 3 years ago and only one other AMEX card in her life, a SPG from 2014

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 19, 2018 at 2:59 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
Wife got the pop up when applying for an Ascend card, she's only had one amex card, a Platinum that we use mostly for the benefits and amex offers....
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by patriots68
Wife got the pop up when applying for an Ascend card, she's only had one amex card, a Platinum that we use mostly for the benefits and amex offers....
Wow, that's harsh of Amex to do, IMO.
Eesh.
bgriff and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:00 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by flyer4512
My wife is 7/24 with 2 Chase Business cards. She applied for the 60K Delta AMEX bus card tonight and before they ran her credit they came back with a message saying she would not be eligible for the bonus. Of course we cancelled the application.

She has one open AMEX card, a NAF Hilton that she opened about 3 years ago and only one other AMEX card in her life, a SPG from 2014
AmEx is obsessed with SUB now. Sometimes it is even worse than Chase 5/24. With Chase, at least you know what to expect.

If they say, they allow 5 new apps or SUBs over 2-year period, then we shut down the churners, then I'm good with it. But now they just shut the door closed to the folks who have not done much biz with them. Most of them are not even churners.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by RedSun
AmEx is obsessed with SUB now. Sometimes it is even worse than Chase 5/24. With Chase, at least you know what to expect.

If they say, they allow 5 new apps or SUBs over 2-year period, then we shut down the churners, then I'm good with it. But now they just shut the door closed to the folks who have not done much biz with them. Most of them are not even churners.
They're kinda shooting themselves in the foot with this one, a strong signup bonus on a good card for momma, 6x Gas and Groceries, is a card she would've held for a long time especially since once in lifetime came in. Staying profitable is one thing shutting people out for no published reason isn't good. Hard and fast rules we can live with its the ones like this that keep an otherwise good customer away that I don't like
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....she's only had one amex card.
The standard personal Platinum card, or one of the co-branded variants?

Has she also held additional cards on any of your American Express card accounts?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:07 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Just to check, while 5/24 isn't an Amex concept specifically, how many other cards has she opened in the past 2 years? Perhaps something else in her credit report makes her look like a churner/low profitability customer to Amex?

If her credit report is reasonably clean and she got denied with that Amex history, that seems way too harsh on Amex's part.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:37 pm

What does SUB stand for ?

Does anyone know if these new AMEX rules apply to an upgrade AMEX offer for upgrading a Hilton No annual fee Amex to Ascend ? Would you get the same warning ( stating you will not get the bonus) when you attempt to upgrade if they are not going to give out the points ?

Last edited by flyer4512; Sep 20, 2018 at 3:35 pm
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AmEx is obsessed with SUB now.
Can you please explain SUB? I've not seen it used before on (what I've read on) FT, and it's not in the FT glossary:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php?do=list&LetterSelected=S

Thanks.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Would you get the same warning ( stating you will not get the bonus) when you attempt to upgrade if they are not going to give out the points ?
I assume SUB means Sign Up Bonus.

To my knowledge American Express is only disqualifying new account application bonuses, not upgrades. The concept shouldn't apply to any type of targeted offer.
flyer4512 and RedSun like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:09 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Family members got popup messages for Hilton Ascend, SPG personal, BBP and SimplyCash, Never churners, about 4 AmEx CCs each person, light activities.

With the life-time language, there is no rush to do anything. It is going to be interesting to see what is going to happen....
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:19 pm

I currently have a PRG card and while taking care of another issue with my card, brought up the idea with a CSR about potentially getting a Platinum card. They said I could "upgrade" my PRG card but wouldn't be eligible for a sign up bonus. Or, I could just apply for the card directly (not an "upgrade") and be eligible for a sign up bonus. What am I missing? Who would do the "upgrade" in this circumstance?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLondoner
I currently have a PRG card and while taking care of another issue with my card, brought up the idea with a CSR about potentially getting a Platinum card. They said I could "upgrade" my PRG card but wouldn't be eligible for a sign up bonus. Or, I could just apply for the card directly (not an "upgrade") and be eligible for a sign up bonus. What am I missing? Who would do the "upgrade" in this circumstance?
AFAIK we don't know yet if the CSRs have the information to determine whether you're going to get the popup or not. They may have just been speaking generally, saying that someone could apply for the card directly and be eligible for the signup bonus, without really knowing whether you specifically would eligible for the signup bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.