Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
In June 2017, the American Express International Airline Program changed to a discount program, rather than "buy one get one free".
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/t...ram/index.html

To research and book, you can
1) Call Platinum Travel Services (1-800-525-3355) or Business Platinum Travel Services (1-800-553-9497). $39 booking and change fees apply
2) As of October 18, 2018, customers can use Live Chat to receive quotes. Log into your account at www.americanexpress.com/travel
3) As of May 2019, customers can log into www.amextravel.com and search and book some IAP fares. Not all carriers participate in online bookings, and not all fares appear online. (Relevant FlyerTalk thread 1 Relevant Thread 2)

The program is available on International First, Business and Premium Economy Class tickets booked through American Express Travel, on both refundable and non-refundable fares.
Good for purchases of 1 to 8 tickets on participating airlines.
Use Pay with Points for all or part of you fares, plus you still get miles from the airline.
Subject to $39 servicing fee per ticket for Platinum card members when calling.

"Travel must originate in and return to U.S. gateway (may exclude certain overseas territories) and select Canadian gateways. One-way travel permitted on some airlines where routing originates in U.S. or select Canadian Gateways." Known to include YVR, YYZ.

It was suggested that a Wikipost be written to try and collect past and example discounts, as the fares themselves are unpublished. The discounts vary, sometimes widely, based on availability, fares, and sales. I've broken it down into ranges, and sorted by the number of reports. I also combined AF/KL/DL as they have joint ventures TATL so it's hard to say from all posts which metal members were reporting. My calculations for discount ranges do not intentionally include the $39 booking fee.

Delta / Air France / KLM
Cathay Pacific British Airways / Iberia Singapore Air New Zealand Asiana China Airlines Japan Airlines LATAM Lufthansa Aerolineas Emirates Qatar
Print Wikipost

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Gold, National Exec
Just wanted to share my experience with this program (first time using it!). I've been trying to desperately figure out ways to not sit in economy for a LAX-DPS (via HKG) flight, but award availability on Cathay Pacific has been scarce for biz/first and I guess as an AA member, we are not allowed to book Prem Economy using miles.

After some strategy, I resigned myself to buying an economy ticket and then HOPING i could upgrade into PE using AsiaMiles.

After much googling though, I stumbled on this thread and boy am I happy i did!! I gave the Platinum Travel team a call and they were able to price out a Prem Econ. option for me that was ~10% cheaper than anything I found on AA.com / Cathay Pacific’s websites. Not only that, they were able to secure Premium Economy (LAX to HKG) and then Business (HKG to DPS). Even the fares I found via the airline sites were Premium Economy (LAX to HKG) and then regular Economy (HKG to DPS).

i was also able to use some points against the fare so total cost ended up being ~27% lower.

all in all, very satisfied with this benefit!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
The Canadian version of this program is not coming up with much, at least not for solo travel.
I priced YVR-ICN today and was quoted C$3,907 on JL with a cnx in NRT. KE is C$3,759 nonstop. The Amex agent said it was possible to get a companion ticket for no extra cost, so it sounds like the old program is still carrying on north of the border. So if I have family travel, it would work, but not on a solo business trip.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: UA Premier Exec, SPG Gold
Something seems to have changed recently. A month ago, talked to 2 agents and I got decent discounted J quotes SFO-EU.

Called twice in the last 2 days and the agents seem clueless. Both times they were quoted me a 10K TATL J ticket, when I asked for the cheapest J ticket, they came back and quoted a far of ~1300 ... which took them a few minutes to realize was actually economy. Maybe I've had bad luck or their tool/vendor have changed ... but a month ago they easily rattled of the best J prices for my route.

If anyone has advice on SFO-EU J in Oct - I'd appreciate it, otherwise I think I will go with AAVacations.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
jascksonSFO. What time did you originally callin? Were B-listers taking the calls?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, SPG Gold
They were really nice, but both of them struggled to givee the lowest j price for the route and dates. Both spent a lot of time explaining the routing and both when trying to find the lowest biz fare came back with an economy fare and only realized it when I asked if it was still biz.

Called at 5pm PST both times
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:55 am

I called yesterday to ask about LAX-LHR in J around New Year's. The agent was very sharp, understood I wanted a BA codeshare on AA metal. Priced out at $3427 each RT, which is about $250 less than on BA or AA. She also offered an Air New Zealand flight at $2836 each, but I'm a OneWorld guy, not Star Alliance, so I turned it down. She also explained the difference between the old 2-for-1 program and the current one, the 5X points bonus, the Pay with Points option, fare class restrictions, etc. I was impressed.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jacksonSFO
They were really nice, but both of them struggled to givee the lowest j price for the route and dates. Both spent a lot of time explaining the routing and both when trying to find the lowest biz fare came back with an economy fare and only realized it when I asked if it was still biz.

Called at 5pm PST both times
I haven't had any similar experience. I always do start by saying I'm looking for a quote using the IAP. A good agent then followed it up with "But I see XXX is available for less on that route."

I made a call for 747FC (see previous page) to get him some sample routing prices, and they were very patient with the multiple routes even though I prefaced it with "I'm just price shopping right now."

Your "month ago" call, was it by any chance before the program switch to the new discount program? Maybe there is additional training needed for them now.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:24 pm
JCN

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec
I tried for a flight LAX - MNL through HKG on Cathay and the agent wasn't able to find a discount through the IAP. I ask her specifically about IAP and she said there were applicable fares on other flights but they were all more expensive.

I'll try again and maybe a different rep will give a different answer....
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Does anyone know if you can have your personal travel agent book these rates for you?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just booked one of the AF tickets to BCN using the new IAP. Run into a small problem and wondering if anyone has advice or experience.

Somehow the original booking has the CDG-BCN segment in Y. BCN-CDG is in J, and the long hauls are in F, so everything else is good.

When I call in to get that fixed (the reservation was made just a couple of hours ago), they're telling me that to change that to J I will have to pay $472 extra because "the IAP discount doesn't work if that segment is in J"

That doesn't make much sense to me, but I've had that answer twice. Any advice to fix? It's not like it really matters for the short flight with the same seat, but it's more a matter of principle.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Understand how you feel, and it does sound fishy, but ... given the (non) meaning of J intra-Europe, and the incredible shortness of the flight, discretion might be the better part of valor.

Just curious ... what kind of a fare did you end up with?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cricketer
Just booked one of the AF tickets to BCN using the new IAP. Run into a small problem and wondering if anyone has advice or experience.

Somehow the original booking has the CDG-BCN segment in Y. BCN-CDG is in J, and the long hauls are in F, so everything else is good.

When I call in to get that fixed (the reservation was made just a couple of hours ago), they're telling me that to change that to J I will have to pay $472 extra because "the IAP discount doesn't work if that segment is in J"

That doesn't make much sense to me, but I've had that answer twice. Any advice to fix? It's not like it really matters for the short flight with the same seat, but it's more a matter of principle.
It makes sense to me. They are a travel agency and have to work with what they get from the airlines, although they do have a fair amount of "inside pricing" which is where the discounts come from.

At least that's the way I understand it.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:49 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by cricketer
When I call in to get that fixed (the reservation was made just a couple of hours ago), they're telling me that to change that to J I will have to pay $472 extra because "the IAP discount doesn't work if that segment is in J".
Doesn't make sense..... F transatlantic on AF books into full J for the short haul. But with the very low fall fares on Air France i'm not surprised there is some confusion. F is less than J on many dates
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by stheller
It makes sense to me. They are a travel agency and have to work with what they get from the airlines, although they do have a fair amount of "inside pricing" which is where the discounts come from.

At least that's the way I understand it.
Originally Posted by ABG
Doesn't make sense..... F transatlantic on AF books into full J for the short haul. But with the very low fall fares on Air France i'm not surprised there is some confusion. F is less than J on many dates
Well - called back again today, and the agent fixed it in a couple of minutes. She said business class was available, at the same price. She also said she could see what had gone wrong - but declined to explain that to me. The suggestion was made that several agents aren't yet comfortable with the new IAP program, and don't request the discounts properly. That would perhaps explain why they were asking for the extra $ yesterday, but not sure what originally happened.

All's well that ends well - I now have a guaranteed empty middle seat next to me. Possibly just about worth the time spent on the phone
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
If I book a premium economy flight via the IAP and use Pay with Points, am I correct in assuming that I won't get the 35%/50% Pay with Points? Unless it's with my selected airline, of course...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.