FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1832025-usa-personal-platinum-uber-200-year-credit-2017-2019-a.html)

WantsAmex Mar 27, 2017 8:21 am

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Benefits go live in a few days.

Do we only have 2 days to use our $15 uber credit? (For March)

Or does the $15 uber credit begin in April?

4aks Mar 27, 2017 9:37 am

Originally Posted by WantsAmex (Post 28092381)
Benefits go live in a few days.

Do we only have 2 days to use our $15 uber credit? (For March)

Or does the $15 uber credit begin in April?

I assumed it begins 'March 30th' , my guess is the # of days you have to use March/April credit is dependent on your monthly billing cycle ... e.g. if your billing cycle ends April 3rd, you've got about 5 days to use Uber for $15 and see a credit -- I also assume it needs to move from pending to posted prior to your billing cycle cutoff

abk Mar 27, 2017 9:47 am

Do you think we could have a separate thread for Uber when it goes live?

mia Mar 27, 2017 10:03 am

Moderator action

Originally Posted by abk (Post 28092725)
Do you think we could have a separate thread for Uber

DONE

hiima Mar 27, 2017 10:46 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28092798)
DONE

Nice.

Also, do we know yet how multiple plat cards for the same person will work? Multiple 15$ credits or have to be separate accounts.

donotblink Mar 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Looks like our hopes that this would work for Uber Eats have been crushed :-(

Madone59 Mar 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by 4aks (Post 28092683)
I assumed it begins 'March 30th'

Me too, especially because I am using Uber to get to the airport that day :). Fingers crossed.

mia Mar 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Platinum Card Members will receive $15 in Uber credits for U.S. rides every month plus a $20 bonus in December, delivered through an exclusive Uber app experience. That’s up to $200 for Uber annually. Platinum Card Members will also become Uber VIPs, where available, without meeting minimum ride requirements and be matched with top-rated drivers, so that even a 5-minute trip can be a 5-star experience.

To receive the benefit, Platinum Card Members must add an eligible Platinum Card as a payment method on an Uber account. Starting March 30th, 2017, $15 in Uber credits will be added to that Uber account each month with a bonus $20 in Uber credits in December. Uber will apply the discount at the end of ride, and it will be reflected on ride receipt.
-- https://origin-gem.americanexpress.c...ked-questions/

dhuey Mar 27, 2017 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28093665)

I think the plain language there means a $15 credit (if used) for the month of March. But I have a feeling Amex doesn't really mean that -- I suspect they intend for April to be the first month for Uber credits. We'll soon see.

Gig103 Mar 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink (Post 28093408)
Looks like our hopes that this would work for Uber Eats have been crushed :-(

I am more bummed by this than I thought I would be. I don't ride Uber but wouldn't have minded Amex covering my delivery fee!

Explorer789 Mar 27, 2017 6:09 pm

A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit.
How do they detect which account is the first account that it is added to? Is it possible to switch the benefit to another account after a while?

JHake10 Mar 27, 2017 7:50 pm

So in theory we will get a March credit on the 30th and have all of the 30th and the 31st to use it? Then we should get another credit on April 1st?

Previously I only had my Uber account linked to Android Pay. However, I linked my AMEX card directly now. I think I should be all set.

gooselee Mar 27, 2017 9:35 pm

Wishful thinking, but reading this from the FAQ page mia linked:

Starting March 30th, 2017, $15 in Uber credits will be added to that Uber account each month with a bonus $20 in Uber credits in December.
Could this potentially mean that $15 will be added on 3/30, then another $15 on 4/30, then another on 5/30...and it all aggregates into a total balance that can be used anytime after that, not a use-or-lose-each-month scenario?

That would be one way for Amex to only provide the benefit in scale to the length of time someone actually has the card and is paying the AF (yes, yes..no proration, etc.), vs. the $200 airline fee credit where people are known to redeem it all in early January and then cancel the card.

Prorated AF refunds (or lack thereof) aside, this provides incentive for someone to retain the card month-to-month if they're considering cancelling during a cycle.

dw Mar 28, 2017 6:50 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 28095405)
Could this potentially mean that $15 will be added on 3/30, then another $15 on 4/30, then another on 5/30...and it all aggregates into a total balance that can be used anytime after that, not a use-or-lose-each-month scenario?

No, the credits expire at the end of each month. Take a look at the T&Cs posted in this thread's Wiki.

gooselee Mar 28, 2017 10:41 am

Originally Posted by dw (Post 28096581)
No, the credits expire at the end of each month. Take a look at the T&Cs posted in this thread's Wiki.

Ahh...you're right. My earlier skim I only paid attention to the bolded parts.

Oh well.