FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1832025-usa-personal-platinum-uber-200-year-credit-2017-2019-a.html)

dollar Dec 7, 18 7:23 pm

It took mine a few days to show up when I added it to my account. Give it a little time.

thebluejean Dec 8, 18 12:38 am

Originally Posted by dollar (Post 30511193)
It took mine a few days to show up when I added it to my account. Give it a little time.

Yup it takes 24-48 hours to show up. I can see additional $35 now in my account.

dw Dec 8, 18 9:09 am

Hereís a different variation on the annoyance caused by Uber Cash... last night I took a ride that was $34.50, so it was all deducted from my Uber Cash $35 December credit.

But then when I went to tip, it said I could only tip up to my $0.50 remaining credit, and if I wanted to tip more, I had to purchase additional Uber Cash... in a minimum denomination of $25.

A whole separate issue is that even trying to buy $25 of Uber Cash, I am getting an error message so I canít even tip my driver right now... but being that Lyft is my preferred service, it certainly is annoying that once I finally am able to complete the purchase, Iím going to end up with all this extra Uber Cash I donít really want but paid for.

Diplomatico Dec 8, 18 9:19 am

Originally Posted by dw (Post 30512657)

A whole separate issue is that even trying to buy $25 of Uber Cash, I am getting an error message so I canít even tip my driver right now... but being that Lyft is my preferred service, it certainly is annoying that once I finally am able to complete the purchase, Iím going to end up with all this extra Uber Cash I donít really want but paid for.

And that is the entire point of this exercise - to coerce customers into providing Uber with interest free loans.

ijgordon Dec 9, 18 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 30512683)
And that is the entire point of this exercise - to coerce customers into providing Uber with interest free loans.

But arenít they giving a 5% discount on Uber Cash purchases? Thatís a pretty awful APR for Uber assuming the cash balances get used up in a month or two.

Diplomatico Dec 10, 18 8:45 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 30517383)

But arenít they giving a 5% discount on Uber Cash purchases? Thatís a pretty awful APR for Uber assuming the cash balances get used up in a month or two.

I presume the opposite and also presume that some percentage of that Uber Cash will never be redeemed at all.

dw Dec 10, 18 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 30518779)
I presume the opposite and also presume that some percentage of that Uber Cash will never be redeemed at all.

Exactly, it's just like a gift card so they are undoubtedly counting on some level of breakage. Also, the 5% discount is only on refills of $100; for $25 refills the discount is only 2%.

lax01 Dec 10, 18 10:26 am

And LOL @ Uber for giving Starbucks giftcards to the drivers as their "tips"...wow - just realized they started doing that as I liquidated my $35 in credits this weekend. What a joke

Good luck with the IPO!

mcs26891 Dec 10, 18 12:52 pm

What is everyone's experience with using uber credits abroad? I thought we couldn't, but I'm "testing" it out in advance and it's letting me use it as a payment option when i put a foreign location as my origin and destination. Or is that because my phone detects me in the unitesd states? Or will I just get a payment error when the trip is done?

Diplomatico Dec 10, 18 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by mcs26891 (Post 30519750)
What is everyone's experience with using uber credits abroad? I thought we couldn't, but I'm "testing" it out in advance and it's letting me use it as a payment option when i put a foreign location as my origin and destination. Or is that because my phone detects me in the unitesd states? Or will I just get a payment error when the trip is done?

Uber app will tell you that your credits are "not available in your area" once you are in another country. You'll still be able to see them but you won't be able to use them.

gooselee Dec 10, 18 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by lax01 (Post 30519101)
And LOL @ Uber for giving Starbucks giftcards to the drivers as their "tips"...wow - just realized they started doing that as I liquidated my $35 in credits this weekend. What a joke

Good luck with the IPO!

This drove me nuts. I can't think of a single Uber driver (or any other worker) I've encountered that would prefer a gift card as a tip instead of cash.

ijgordon Dec 11, 18 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 30518779)

Originally Posted by dw (Post 30519014)
Exactly, it's just like a gift card so they are undoubtedly counting on some level of breakage. Also, the 5% discount is only on refills of $100; for $25 refills the discount is only 2%.

Fair point on the 2% vs. 5% discount, I hadn't looked at the details of the pop-up (I don't get sucked in by Uber's fancy marketing...lol). But I do disagree on breakage on Uber Cash, unless they're trying to also position it as a currency for gifts. Anyone buying Uber Cash for themselves is likely a regular user. And it's not like you need to go out of your way to use it, or remember to bring the card, like those Momofuku gift cards I've had in my drawer for 3+ years... :D

gengar Dec 12, 18 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by lax01 (Post 30519101)

Good luck with the IPO!

Just FYI, the Starbucks gift card is a bonus, above and beyond the tips that the drivers earn. It doesn't replace/substitute for the tips earned. The GC denomination is based on the number of total tips received over the promotion time period.
Uber driver-partners can earn a Starbucks eGift Card for tips received from riders from 12/3 – 12/9. Earn 5 to 9 tips and receive a $5 Starbucks eGift Card; earn 10 to 19 tips and receive a $10 Starbucks eGift Card; earn 20 or more tips and receive a $20 Starbucks eGift Card. Eligible drivers will receive offer to claim their Starbucks eGift Card via email on 12/11. The eGift Card must be claimed by 12/24/2018.

Troopers Dec 12, 18 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers (Post 30501684)
Same here.

Uber Cash finally showed up.

lax01 Dec 12, 18 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 30528136)
Just FYI, the Starbucks gift card is a bonus, above and beyond the tips that the drivers earn. It doesn't replace/substitute for the tips earned. The GC denomination is based on the number of total tips received over the promotion time period.
Uber driver-partners can earn a Starbucks eGift Card for tips received from riders from 12/3 Ė 12/9. Earn 5 to 9 tips and receive a $5 Starbucks eGift Card; earn 10 to 19 tips and receive a $10 Starbucks eGift Card; earn 20 or more tips and receive a $20 Starbucks eGift Card. Eligible drivers will receive offer to claim their Starbucks eGift Card via email on 12/11. The eGift Card must be claimed by 12/24/2018.

Odd, thats not the way its presented to the rider/consumer when asked to give a tip...I'll have to look more closely but I definitely assumed I was giving a Starbucks gift card amount (and it was just another way for Uber to cut costs somehow)