FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1832025-usa-personal-platinum-uber-200-year-credit-2017-2019-a.html)

C W Mar 30, 2017 4:28 am

I have the US Platinum card but I live in Germany. I visit the US a couple times a year, so with the expiring nature of the credits this benefit is currently of very limited use to me.

I'd like to gift it to a good friend who takes a lot of Ubers, but if I'm interpreting the terms correctly, I'll never be able to unlink it from her Uber account and put it on my Uber account?

A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit.

justdoinjjs Mar 30, 2017 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Troopers (Post 28105260)
Same. Also see $15 credit in UberEATS.

Sweet! I'm soooo glad this works on UberEats too. I wasn't going to be able to utilize the credit if it had been good for Uber only.

C W Mar 30, 2017 4:45 am

Just opened the app and got the $15 credit. Isn't usable in Germany where I live, of course. But oddly, I tried to order a ride in the US (which can be done from anywhere in the world if you're so inclined, for a friend or whatever) and it still said that the credit was unavailable in my region. Disappointing. As in my post above, hoping to gift this benefit to a friend.

ASELdriver Mar 30, 2017 5:48 am

Originally Posted by C W (Post 28105710)
I'd like to gift it to a good friend who takes a lot of Ubers, but if I'm interpreting the terms correctly, I'll never be able to unlink it from her Uber account and put it on my Uber account?

According to this Uber help article, there is a way to change the Uber account where upcoming monthly credits will be applied:

How to switch which Uber account gets Amex credits:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00am EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex credits to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method.
Once a monthly credit appears in an Uber account, though, it appears to be 'use it or lose it' from that account.

flyershmlyer Mar 30, 2017 5:56 am

Ugh! Just tried on mine - says, you have the benefit but not on this phone. most likely on my older iphone that's at home somewhere that I keep as backup. by reading the terms, it says I need to delete payment info on the other phone, so that it kicks in on this one. (not sure what would happen if I'd lost the other phone permanently, for instance).

it also says that the credit allocation to a phone resets every 1st of the month, which means:

1. I lose this month's credit, unless I lug around 2 phones.

2. I better delete payment from the other phone, today or tomorrow, or I'll lose credit for April too.

C W Mar 30, 2017 6:15 am

Originally Posted by ASELdriver (Post 28105876)
According to this Uber help article, there is a way to change the Uber account where upcoming monthly credits will be applied:

Once a monthly credit appears in an Uber account, though, it appears to be 'use it or lose it' from that account.

Thank you very much!

Westin Mar 30, 2017 6:59 am

Has anyone actually tried this in Uber eats yet?

Also aren't we supposed to get VIP? I'm in Atlanta which is a VIP market but don't have the VIP option on my app

DBCme Mar 30, 2017 8:34 am

Originally Posted by C W (Post 28105710)
I have the US Platinum card but I live in Germany. I visit the US a couple times a year, so with the expiring nature of the credits this benefit is currently of very limited use to me.

Opened Uber app in South Africa - $15 shows; not available for use in my area
Opened Uber eats in South Africa - $15USD shows as well

gooselee Mar 30, 2017 9:40 am

Also seeing a 3/31 expiration in my app. Oh well.

Interestingly, I have my Plat card attached to both my Personal and Business profiles in the app. When Business is selected, the Amex credits default to off. When Personal is selected, the credits default to on. Seems like someone was actually thinking ahead.

Originally Posted by sparviero (Post 28105140)
In my city Uber offers flat-fee packages that last 30 days, so I'll buy $15 worth (5 rides) and report back if it gets reimbursed.

What city are you in? This is an intriguing concept.

Originally Posted by Troopers (Post 28105260)
Same. Also see $15 credit in UberEATS.

Same. I may get UberEATS for dinner tonight or tomorrow. If nobody else has tested it by then, I'll report back.

Originally Posted by Westin. (Post 28106074)
Also aren't we supposed to get VIP? I'm in Atlanta which is a VIP market but don't have the VIP option on my app

I'm in ATL as well and I see the VIP option when I swipe over to the premium ride options (where Black/SUV are). Same price as UberX, about the same # of cars available right now (lunchtime in midtown).

sparviero Mar 30, 2017 9:50 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 28106731)
What city are you in? This is an intriguing concept.

Las Vegas, NV. Unfortunately the activation fee of $2.50 did not get reimbursed.
Also, this was my first time trying it, and apparently you don't prepay for the rides, you just prepay the activation fee for all of them and then you have flat rates for 30 days.

More info: https://www.uber.com/info/plus/lasvegas/

kyh Mar 30, 2017 10:21 am

Hi all, is anyone able to see the Uber VIP option for those that are in NYC? Anyone mind posting a screenshot on how it should look like? I have the $15 credit showed up on my account but did not see anything related to the VIP option.

ckpeter Mar 30, 2017 10:28 am

It appears that the credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards. I added two platinum cards to my account and the credit balance increased by $30.

gooselee Mar 30, 2017 11:06 am

Originally Posted by sparviero (Post 28106771)
Las Vegas, NV. Unfortunately the activation fee of $2.50 did not get reimbursed.
Also, this was my first time trying it, and apparently you don't prepay for the rides, you just prepay the activation fee for all of them and then you have flat rates for 30 days.

More info: https://www.uber.com/info/plus/lasvegas/

Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

twkidM3 Mar 30, 2017 11:20 am

does anyone know if we can use the credit to buy giftcards on uber?

ucdtim17 Mar 30, 2017 11:30 am

No plans to use Uber today or tomorrow, so I downloaded UberEATS and see the $15 credit. Not sure if I'll get to use it though.