Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by givingitatry
How long did it take from charge posting to credit be applied?
Only a couple of days or so!
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by kwontas
I want to renew my wife's E+ annual subscription on United. I chatted with the Amex agent to make sure these subscriptions would count toward reimbursement which they confirmed and I took photos of the conversation for proof. My question is, has anyone split the payment between two travel credit eligible cards successfully with United? Online, it seems to only give one credit card payment as an option though I didn't go further to see if they'd allow split charges. I have the Hilton Aspire ($250 credit) and Amex Platinum ($200 credit) which I'd like to use both towards this subscription. I suspect I'll have to call the MileagePlus center and do it over the phone, but would like to know if others have tried and were successful - and if so, how.
It's a question I'd like to know the answer to as well. Let me know if you find out anything.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by unicon
Yes it does. Credit posted automatically for me.
Strange. I bought seats for basic economy as a separate purchase and it’s now showing x5 points instead of flight credit refund... It was only 3 days ago so I wonder it’s going to change or not
Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by lxitixl
Strange. I bought seats for basic economy as a separate purchase and it’s now showing x5 points instead of flight credit refund... It was only 3 days ago so I wonder it’s going to change or not
That is fine. Seat selection charges do show up as airline purchase with 3x points

and in fact it showed all the details of the flight and even passenger's last name. Credit posted separately about 3 days later in my case. See attached pics.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 5:58 pm

My purchase for E+ seats on Oct 27 took until today to show up as a credit.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:05 pm

Finally got the reimbursement.
its strange though, it seems like I’m still getting to keep the 1000MR points too
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
I see in the wiki that wifi works; but does anyone know if the UA 1-month wifi subscription also works..?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
I see in the wiki that wifi works; but does anyone know if the UA 1-month wifi subscription also works..?
Yes, bought it twice and both times, its fallen off.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Finally got the reimbursement.
its strange though, it seems like I’m still getting to keep the 1000MR points too
Yes the card benefits like airline fee credit and the dining credit (on Gold card) do not seem to deduct any points earned. However any credits received through amex offers do deduct points for the amount of credit at 1pt/$, i.e. you still get to keep any category bonuses if applicable.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'd like to know if buying a lounge pass through the app will work. I know it says in the Wiki that airport lounge day passes work but this wouldn't be bought in the airport, I'd be buying it through the United app.

I have $81 credit left on my Plat and am not planning to fly UA before the end of this year so was thinking of buying a lounge pass for future use if it works for the credit.

Thanks.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
.... lounge pass through the app.
Mixed reports HERE.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:01 am

Does upfaring work? Say you book coach and call UA and ask to buy up to a business fare (they usually don't charge a change fee to upfare), maybe with split tender to keep the amount on the Amex low so as to trigger the credit?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Mixed reports HERE.
Thanks. And it's from almost 2 years ago. Maybe I'll give it a shot if I can't find any other use for it.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:59 pm

Is there consensus that all AMEX reimbursements behave the same way? That is, if something works on Platinum it will work on Aspire and vice versa?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by time_stamp
Is there consensus ....
I am not aware of any contrary evidence. It's the same benefit, same system, just a different amount $100 vs $200 vs $250.
time_stamp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.