Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:51 pm

Has anyone ever used the $$ in the travel bank to buy an unrestricted fare on UA and then cancelled the flight to get a refund? Where would the refund go, back to the travelbank?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by pugsley21

Any updates on the Econ+?
Just booked a flight on VX, so no UAL update yet.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Colin
E+ essentials is automatic for AMEX fee credit, which is convenient because it is refundable from UA when the underlying fare is refundable
What is this?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: Brown medallion
Originally Posted by monu58
Just realized after purchasing Amazon Gift cards thru MPX that this is not allowed anymore.

What's an option where I can get the $200 credit for 2017. I need to do this soon as my AF is approaching.

Does United airline allow gift cards? Any other options.
My boyfriend was able to get MPX reimbursed through online chat. The associate insisted it was not eligible at first, but we asked politely for a one time courtesy adjustment (with a veiled threat of card cancellation).

For myself, registry charge of $200 appeared on 3/1 and -$200 on 3/3.
Received gift registry contribution notification email. I did not check registry balance immediately, but as of today 3/4, $200 is reflected there.

Last edited by vholic; Mar 4, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Old Mar 4, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ascg
What is this?
Are you asking what E+ is? Economy Plus.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...onomyPlus.aspx
Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:31 pm

-Deleted-

Last edited by MisterMechE; Mar 5, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Are you asking what E+ is? Economy Plus.

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...onomyPlus.aspx
Economy Plus Essentials and Enhanced are sold as packages when purchasing Y. Include services for your trip one time. There are also subscriptions which let you have unlimited E+ access.

Economy Plus Essentials

This package offers E​conomy Plus seating and an extra standard checked bag — you'll save on these travel perks by purchasing them together.

Economy Plus Enhanced

With this package, you'll receive the Essentials (Economy Plus seating and an extra standard checked bag) plus Premier Access®, a United Club℠ trip pass and extra award miles for each passenger on the reservation, at a reduced cost compared to adding these features individually.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:37 am

Paid $125 for an award change fee, was reimbursed the next day
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:22 am

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if someone can help me. I tried to create a gift registry but the website keeps saying: "! We could not process your request. Please see the message below and make revisions. ! We were unable to create the Gift Account."

Update...it's working now after trying about 15 times...*sigh*
Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lostinamaze
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if someone can help me. I tried to create a gift registry but the website keeps saying: "! We could not process your request. Please see the message below and make revisions. ! We were unable to create the Gift Account."

Update...it's working now after trying about 15 times...*sigh*
Probably overnight maintenance.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA Silver, Marriott + SPG Gold, Global Entry
Sent it deep with no shame travel bank funding. Funded $200 to the travel bank with platinum and $100 to travel bank with PRG on 3/7. Posted on 3/9, refunded both 3/11. The credit is alive and well!
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:22 pm

I charged $169 on 3/8 for economy plus on LHR-ORD ticket. Got the $169 credited back automatically on 3/10.

Charge shows as --

Category: Travel - Airline
Document Type: PREFERRED SEAT UPGRADE

Original ticket was paid for with points, fees paid with CSR. Upgraded on a completely separate transaction.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:03 am

3/11- $100 purchase to my Gift Registry
3/13- $100 Airline Fee reimbursed
Old Mar 18, 2017, 5:29 pm

Gift registry purchase 1x100 and 2 x 100 ( by accident at the same time when UA gift registry web site froze. I only realized it few days later. 2x100 Airline fee reimbursed by Amex 3 days later. I called UA and 1x100 refunded to my card.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Gift registry also. Purchase 3/12, reimburse 3/23 ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.