Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2019, 12:35 pm

Can pet fees be refunded to travel voucher or must they go back to card used to book the ticket? Data points in this thread are not super-clear. Do you have to call in or can be done online? And are they refunded if canceling award tix (free for 1Ks)?

I don't want the pet fee refund going back to the Amex even if it triggers the airline fee reimbursement, as some people suggest up-thread, as it seems too risky in case they go after it retroactively in the future as they have been doing with some things.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
With the recent shutdowns due to self-referrals is anyone planning to do the pet fee trick?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
With the recent shutdowns due to self-referrals is anyone planning to do the pet fee trick?
Well, I wouldn't do the pet fee and get a refund to the same card and hope to keep the credit. Hence my question about a travel voucher.

EDIT: UA 1K desk tells me that pet fees are refundable but only back to the card, not to travel vouchers. So there goes that idea. I guess in theory you could cancel and get the airline credit, but no guarantees that Amex won't claw it back 9 months later even on a closed card as they seem to have been doing.

What a pain in the a** they have made it.

Last edited by abcx; Nov 7, 2019 at 11:45 pm
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Can I purchase preferred seating checked baggage fees for family/friends on a UA flight that I am not on? Would be a good way to use my remaining credit.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ricohitman
Can I purchase preferred seating checked baggage fees for family/friends on a UA flight that I am not on? Would be a good way to use my remaining credit.
Why not?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: United, SPG
Is it possible to split the E+ subscription between 2 Plat cards and get reimbursed?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by ricohitman
Yes, the credit isn't restricted to your name. Have your friends/family keep the receipt until your credit posts just in case it's needed (shouldn't be).
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:32 pm

First class upgrade under $200?

Originally Posted by Grapenut

Just got reimbursed for upgrade fees on economy to first on a domestic ticket. Completely unexpected as I had already paid my Amex balance, and was thrown off when I saw a credit. Shows Amex Airline Fee reimbursement for both legs.

Saw the recent AA data points with gift cards working so maybe some changes afoot with UA.
Puzzling over this from earlier in the year. I see an opportunity to pay $195 to upgrade to first from economy on a domestic flight and am wondering if it's worth the gamble vs. the $95 E+ upgrade that I know will be reimbursed. Any other data points?
Old Nov 16, 2019, 8:51 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold | Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by plazc
Puzzling over this from earlier in the year. I see an opportunity to pay $195 to upgrade to first from economy on a domestic flight and am wondering if it's worth the gamble vs. the $95 E+ upgrade that I know will be reimbursed. Any other data points?
Unfortunately, I've never been successfully reimbursed for a paid upgrade to first on a domestic flight like you're describing. It sounds like that poster got lucky!
Old Nov 16, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy something
Originally Posted by plazc
I have not been able to replicate it using other cards. Still haven't been able to figure out if the upgrade coded differently, but most likely just an Amex glitch that I will happily take.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
The pet fee option seems to be dead. I booked a (legitimate) ticket for my mom and her dog. She needed to change her schedule, so I had to cancel it about 22 hours later, just under the 24 hour courtesy period. The credit from UA appeared a couple days later, but nothing from AMEX.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by TomA
The pet fee option seems to be dead. I booked a (legitimate) ticket for my mom and her dog. She needed to change her schedule, so I had to cancel it about 22 hours later, just under the 24 hour courtesy period. The credit from UA appeared a couple days later, but nothing from AMEX.
Did you book the ticket and add the pet fee? or all at once?
Old Nov 19, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by moops380
Did you book the ticket and add the pet fee? or all at once?
I checked the pet fee box when I booked it. The ticket, and the two fees billed separately.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by TomA
I checked the pet fee box when I booked it. The ticket, and the two fees billed separately.
I thought the "process" was that you had to add it on after the fact in order for it to work.
And it takes a few days for the credit to show up, AFAIK.

Last time it took like 4 days to show up for me, but I did them separate (added on after the fact).

Please post back in like a week or sooner if it shows up as a credit.
It's possible this, too, has been closed, but I think it's too early to tell, unless this was done a week ago.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
End of E+ Seat Reimbursements Coming?

For those of you who have not heard, UA is "testing" the direct purchase of E+ seats (vs. a seat fee). If this gets implemented, it may lead to one less way of using Amex Plat reimbursement:

[Unconfirmed] UA Preparing to Sell E+ at Booking as Separate Cabin (like DL C+)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.