Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:18 pm

I'm trying the pet fee route for reimbursement.

I just added a pet for a previously purchased round trip in December, charged as two $125 fees. Will report back if they get reimbursed.

Is there a way to cancel the pet itinerary online or do you have to call in and cancel?

Thanks
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:39 am

Looking to purchase United E+ seats total is 400+ is it possible to split payment for seat selection so I can use up 2 plats annual credits? Any ways to utilize more than a single plat's 200 credit?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:52 am

I am a little confused as to what still works and what doesn't on United Airlines with the Amex Platinum credit. I am taking a flight to Los Angeles this Saturday with my family, and I have not used any of the $200 so far this year. I was thinking of trying to upgrade our seats to Economy +, but I have seen some reports where that is not working anymore. Has anybody tried that in the past few weeks?

Also, if you buy food and/or beverages on the flight, will those be reimbursed? That is definitely one use I could make of the credit for both my trip to LA and my return trip next week.

I guess for onboard WiFi, I just need to make sure it is not being offered through Gogo, then it should work?

I can't think of anything else to use the credit for. I already have access to the Centurian lounges at IAH and LAX, so no reason for me to go to a United Club which is not as nice.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by nexus444
Also, if you buy food and/or beverages on the flight, will those be reimbursed? That is definitely one use I could make of the credit for both my trip to LA and my return trip next week.
My understanding is that food and beverages count as 'incidentals' and will be credited back by Amex.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by kenshinluo
Looking to purchase United E+ seats total is 400+ is it possible to split payment for seat selection so I can use up 2 plats annual credits? Any ways to utilize more than a single plat's 200 credit?
I do this pretty regularly, but each passenger has his/her own Mileage Plus number attached to the single reservation. Each passenger logs into his/her MP account and upgrades to E+ under the Manage Trip link and using my credit card information. I believe it's possible to do without a MP account by finding the reservation with the record locator and traveller's name.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by kenshinluo
Or you could just upgrade 1 seat at a time if you're referring to upgrading a roundtrip rather than separate pax. Upgrade outbound and pay. Then repeat with inbound.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 7:30 pm

Once you select United as your airline, how long does it take before Amex knows to credit your account automatically? I am planning on on paying for Economy + and having it covered the credit. It appears that reports are mixed on that being covered even though that appears to be a seat assignment to me? What does Amex consider a seat assigment?

TIA
Old Nov 21, 2019, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Corridor!
Once you select United as your airline, how long does it take before Amex knows to credit your account automatically?
Its instant. You can make an eligible charge within 1 minute of selection and it will be reimbursed.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by luv2vacay
I thought the "process" was that you had to add it on after the fact in order for it to work.
And it takes a few days for the credit to show up, AFAIK.

Last time it took like 4 days to show up for me, but I did them separate (added on after the fact).

Please post back in like a week or sooner if it shows up as a credit.
It's possible this, too, has been closed, but I think it's too early to tell, unless this was done a week ago.
I think part of the process is *not* putting the ticket on your amex. just the add ons an hour or two later. I just got the aspire card and looking to make use of my pets. worked fine in like may for my other credits. Anyones guess since these dell 10% clawback shenanigans (next time buy something for $111, etc..).
luv2vacay likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 12:39 am

I purchased e+ seat upgrade on an award flight SFO-SYD in July and was credited 2 days after the transaction posted (used $240/$250 Aspire credit)
Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: hilton diamond SPG/Marriott platinum UA silver AA platinum
Getting ready to use my Aspire $250 credit for an E+ upgrade for an international travel. Most reports on flyertalk says it should work. Any other new data points please
Appreciate it
Old Nov 22, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by r6vo
Getting ready to use my Aspire $250 credit for an E+ upgrade for an international travel. Most reports on flyertalk says it should work. Any other new data points please
Appreciate it
i think there is one right above your post

(oh, perhaps you mean newer than July?)
Old Nov 23, 2019, 7:10 pm

I just purchased E+ on 11/19 so it's too soon to know. I will report back in a few days.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:18 pm

So I know very late to this thread and it seems the Gift Card option is dead. What are my options, need to make the purcahse very soon. Please advise and help.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by troyhouse
So I know very late to this thread and it seems the Gift Card option is dead. What are my options, need to make the purcahse very soon. Please advise and help.
Have you read the Wiki? Or consider changing to an airline you will actually fly on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.